Game bugs and other weird things in games (worth of sticky?)

giphy.gif

Just subscribe to GameSprout on YouTube and watch the Game Fails playlist.

Here is one that happened to me recently. The game probably read Tails' movement into the tube and "broke"

This was another weird game behavior during online play. The opponent's Rage art should have depleted all my health bar, but it was minimized as if it occurred after a juggle compo (hit damage is reduced after each juggle hit).
The opponent must have been very pissed.

Destiny series have bugs / glitches / weird things in abundance.

Not just in the game itself (audio/visual, mechanics, etc) but also the developer way of doing things (regression again and again, sometime super lenient some other times super strict in addressing "bugs", totally wrong description, etc).

But the swordplay is really fun so I keep playing it again and again despite its problems (and when you starts to touch the human issues... Yeesh... There are even more problem to be added to the pile. Some human who likes to troll really have too much free time)

Fallout 76. I'm surprised anyone still plays it. Even more surprised that there are people willing to pay a 100 USD a year subscription while playing it.

So, I guess the player base has been asking Bethesda for storage boxes that can store unlimited items since before launch. Bethesda has always claimed that it was not possible due to technical reasons.

They just recently enabled unlimited item storage boxes...for 100 USD subscribers only...in their latest patch, and...

Turns out it's bugged. Anything you put into it is immediately deleted. :D I guess it is technically infinite storage then? :p

I wonder how long it'll take them to fix that bug.

Regards,
SB

Fallout 76. I'm surprised anyone still plays it. Even more surprised that there are people willing to pay a 100 USD a year subscription while playing it.

So, I guess the player base has been asking Bethesda for storage boxes that can store unlimited items since before launch. Bethesda has always claimed that it was not possible due to technical reasons.

They just recently enabled unlimited item storage boxes...for 100 USD subscribers only...in their latest patch, and...

Turns out it's bugged. Anything you put into it is immediately deleted. :D I guess it is technically infinite storage then? :p

I wonder how long it'll take them to fix that bug.

Regards,
SB

I imagine in their testing

Dev: we need more time to-
Marketing: nope, no more delays. The feature already works and That date is set in stone.
Dev: yes it can take unlimited amounts of item but-
Marketing: so it works.

I imagine in their testing

Dev: we need more time to-
Marketing: nope, no more delays. The feature already works and That date is set in stone.
Dev: yes it can take unlimited amounts of item but-
Marketing: so it works.
Apparently it can take unlimited amounts of items because it disappears them :p

Apparently it can take unlimited amounts of items because it disappears them :p

Probably it was more like this

In a meeting.

Dev: we were able to put unlimited amounts of items into the storage. But those items were gone.

Boss, marketing, everyone: so what's the problem?

Dev:.........

Boss: let me clarify, you can put any amounts of item into the storage, and it won't be full.

Everyone: so it works

Or maybe
Dev: the QA team found a bug where items keeps disappearing when the storage got enlarged. And new problems crops up every time we tried to fix it. We don't think we can finish the storage boost feature in time.

Marketing: blabbers about the date can't be changed the promised features can't be changed.

Boss: hey new guy, say something

Intern: what if... We say it's "unlimited storage" instead of storage capacity boost? Technically, it's unlimited... We'll say sorry a few days after people complains, and use that extra time to develop the fix.

Everyone except dev: perfect!

Last edited:
How spaghetti your codebase has to be that creating a box that can hold infinite items is such an insurmountable task?

How spaghetti your codebase has to be that creating a box that can hold infinite items is such an insurmountable task?

This is very easy code to write as long as you can provide a system with an infinite amount of RAM or storage space? :devilish:

Hopefully the network bandwidth is also infinite!

edit: this reminds of an early project where I was working with limited storage problem and the project manager wasn't technical. I had to explain to that storage was finite and he vaguely understood compression but didn't realised that you couldn't just keep re-compressing data for the same gains but he was convinced that recurring compression could solve our storage problem indefinitely.

bless him! :nope:

Back