Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, I don't trust Schreier. I bet he knows the specs and isn't publishing them because he doesn't want to lose access. Someone like him should have multiple sources at multiple studios where he should be able to have an idea of what is and isn't real. Having multiple source at multiple studios should allow him to obfuscate the source and not reveal. But I think it's more about not angering the platform holder.

He is not the only one to do this. I think other serious videogames journalists know the specs. the only things he said is comparing Tflops of next-generation console to Stadia.

Haven't the same individuals Komachi and Apisak (sp?) whom singled out Oberon/Gonzalo as being PS5 APUs, are now the same ones pointing towards "flute" being an Xbox-Next related APU? Any recent leaks about it?

Anyhow, we're did this Arcturus stuff even originate from?
Komachi specifically stopped addressing consoles because he was getting insane fanboy replies.

Arcturus started as a name leak from AMD drivers. The assumption that it was some new architecture took hold despite Bridgman’s attempt to quell the rumor, and it eventually showed up in a supposed screencap of a system into dump claiming to be a Scarlett/Anaconda devkit with “Arcturus engines”.

wHcrp5L.png

Just a reminder... the Arcturus code name refers to a specific chip, not an architecture. Somebody misread my post on Phoronix and thought it was a new architecture, and that has been echoing around the internet ever since.

Arcturus is just the first GPU we started after going back to using code names in the driver that are completely unrelated to the marketing name. The change should mean one less thing to worry about when we push Linux drivers out to a public repo on the way to upstream.

We’ve since learned Arcturus (2) is a super Vega focused on compute that doesn’t even do graphics.

Last edited:
Which PS5 reveal though ? Next tuesday ?

Next year or maybe a very big surprise for the 25th anniversary of the Playstation the 3rd December 2019 but I doubt it. The interesting things is the article talking about Demon soul's remake by Bluepoint and the technical director of Bluepoint retweeting the article. For HZD 2 this is logic, Guerrilla Games works on a sequel since 2017, I don't think it will be a launch game but probably a year one title (2021?). Other stuff looks like speculations and nothing serious.

I think there will be a time in which this comment will ring true. But it’s not this coming generation. Streaming is not yet cemented as a bigger money maker than their hardware based division.

Maybe. A sizeable barrier to streaming games is quality of the internet to get that service and the ongoing cost of it, i.e. decent broadband. Plenty of people can't get decent broadband; I live an affluent area of central London where fibre isn't an option because of the cost/disruption to the area to deploy it is prohibitive but 5G deploys shortly. Comparatively to fibre and other fixed-infrastructure technologies, 5G is cheaper to deploy, subscribe too and will spread very quickly and only get cheaper just like 3G and 4G.

game pass likely sells more on Xbox than any other platform. Game pass revenue is known recurring monthly revenue which is worth more to the company than boom/bust sales.

Subscriptions recur until they don't and have little predictability as they are predicated on the fickle behaviour, circumstances and preferences of the subscriber. I sometimes subscribe to PS+ but more than half of the year I don't. For me it's about how much I will spend gaming but for others it may be about cost, e.g. unexpected expenses making folks cut trim monthly costs for a while. There seems to be no incentive (or penalty) for dipping in and out of GamePass if your gaming time is sporadic.

The other invisible half of the equation, and something I've brought up before, is we have no visibility of the economics of subscription game services. This is a real head scratcher. Ignoring the even-lower introductory prices, I can pay Microsoft £3.99 a month on PC (which includes Spotify Premium) or £7.99 on console and get for less than Microsoft's sales cut of one full-priced new game, access to all the new games that come in a month, which in November and December will be a lot. Games I would otherwise have bought. How is this good for Microsoft or publishers - perhaps Microsoft are taking a hit and fully compensating publishers on the market cost of a lost sale.

I just posted in the sales thread about an Ars Technica report that Xbox profitability is down a second quarter in a row. The article speculates this is because is because nextgen consoles are on the horizon. They say "It is also common to see slowing growth for a gaming platform just one short year before the start of a new console generation" but this isn't slowing growth, is two quarters of straight decline of revenue; 10% and now 7%. They launched the new GamePass which included Gold six months ago. GamePass is a great deal for subscribers, but is it a great deal for Microsoft? If it is costing them, how long will they sustain it?

The numbers, which in this case are actual revenue and costs - real money, don't seem to add up.

Hasn't Sony, Microsoft and AMD already confirmed 7nm Navi chips for the next-generation of consoles? Plus, a 5nm Navi chip in mid or late June of 2020, seems awfully late for a console product due November 2020. There would be months of testing/debugging/validation before mass production/assembly even begins. Don’t see 5nm chips happening with next-gen launch systems.
Still seems too late even if the testing and debugging were done. I think the current generation had the production ramp starting ~6 months prior to the product being available. There needs to be time for getting final silicon out of the fab, getting the silicon packaged, integration onto boards, integrating with hardware from other source manufacturers, putting into a chassis, packaging, transport between all these points, warehousing, shipping to retailers across the planet that need their own ramp time, and then margin for risk management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back