Should I give in and get a gamepad for my PC?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
More and more games seem to be coming to PC that are totally geared towards gamepads and are virtually unplayable with keyboard. I have been avoiding a gamepad for two main reasons:

1. I'd have to clean up my desk
2. It sort of feels like going backwards?
2. I don't know which one to get
2. Why should I need a gamepad for PC?

If someone could give me some input I'd appreciate it. Price used to actually be a factor, but there are some nice ones that are insanely affordable now.

Oh, and if you think I should get one please recommend some to look at. Thank you! :love:

Yeah, years ago? Gaming on a PC doesn't mean you'll lose your Master race membership card if you use a controller. Many games are built around controllers.

I use Xbox 360 Windows wired controllers but they're very hard to get now. I tried an Xbox One controller via Bluetooth and USB for awhile but had huge problems with it disconnecting randomly, irrespective of connection. Read lots of people having same issue with them, stay away.

Recently got an Amazon brand version and it's been perfect, no issues. Very good price and no issues with compatibility.

Lastly, never go wireless IMO.

I use Xbox 360 Windows wired controllers but they're very hard to get now. I tried an Xbox One controller via Bluetooth and USB for awhile but had huge problems with it disconnecting randomly, irrespective of connection. Read lots of people having same issue with them, stay away.

Connect your xbox one controller to the pc with the usb cable.

More and more games seem to be coming to PC that are totally geared towards gamepads and are virtually unplayable with keyboard. I have been avoiding a gamepad for two main reasons:

I'm completely hooked on the Xbox One Elite controller. The quality is so much better than the other controllers, and that's not to say the normal controllers are trash, but just how much higher quality the Elite series feel. The current generation of Xbox One controllers can connect via BlueTooth to the PC, so no need for wires if you don't want to or unless you're an uber-gamer in their prime (age 12 to 16) and can feel the microseconds of delay. However, the Xbox One controllers are fairly cheap when they can be found on sale, like around $35 to $40. Bargain price wise, that's far better than the $120 - $150 on Xbox One Elite controller, not to mention the $180 of the upcoming Xbox One Elite version-2.

You don't really need to clean the desk.

play above the keyboard, Resting on the keyboard (with the keyboard disabled), or under the desk and resting on your laps (don't play Wii sports with Wii remote)

My bad. But, If you're dropping usb connections, it's not necessarily the devices fault.
Didn't matter what USB port, or type of USB port (ie hub, front ports or rear m/board ports). Also did the same thing on 3 different computers of varying age and with a replacement controller. The exact same computers and ports work fine with 360 and Amazon Basics controllers.

Thanks, appreciate! Actually orangebuddy I gotta clean my desk anways, it's literally starting to overflow with crap including at least 9-11 bags of prescriptions that I have to sort through since I'm bad about taking my meds and tend to build up a backlog. :/

So I should think of a controller as more of a gaming mouse or keyboard now? I'm not admitting defeat? (Also it's been so long I sort of suck with controllers now I'm afraid. )

I'll poke around for some deals and see if I can find any I like, if I do I'll let you all know. Thanks! I sort of like the idea of getting an Xbox type controller just because they seem the most universally used in games.

Thanks, appreciate! Actually orangebuddy I gotta clean my desk anways, it's literally starting to overflow with crap including at least 9-11 bags of prescriptions that I have to sort through since I'm bad about taking my meds and tend to build up a backlog. :/

So I should think of a controller as more of a gaming mouse or keyboard now? I'm not admitting defeat? (Also it's been so long I sort of suck with controllers now I'm afraid. )

I'll poke around for some deals and see if I can find any I like, if I do I'll let you all know. Thanks! I sort of like the idea of getting an Xbox type controller just because they seem the most universally used in games.

haha now im curious how your desk looks like :D

btw,
dont just get xbox-type controller, but buy a real xbox one s controller or xbox one elite controller.

with controller on PC, you don't want to have extra headache because its just a "xbox type controller" instead of a real xbox controller.

btw,
dont just get xbox-type controller, but buy a real xbox one s controller or xbox one elite controller

MS don't make a wired XboxOne controller but there's an officially licenced one from PowerA. Sticks/triggers etc feel the same as the official wired one.

For games about fast aiming K + M is still the best way to play. For games about movement and buttons controllers are best. For my tastes anyhow.

Other than the fact it sounds like your desk needs a tidy, you don't need to make space. K + M is lean forward gaming. Controllers demand a lean back approach. :D

Last edited:
MS don't make a wired XboxOne controller but there's an officially licenced one from PowerA. Sticks/triggers etc feel the same as the official wired one.

For games about fast aiming K + M is still the best way to play. For games about movement and buttons controllers are best. For my tastes anyhow.

Other than the fact it sounds like your desk needs a tidy, you don't need to make space. K + M is lean forward gaming. Controllers demand a lean back approach. :D

Can't you plug it to USB and it become wired, like PS4 controller?

dont just get xbox-type controller, but buy a real xbox one s controller or xbox one elite controller.
I've had several 360 controllers, a One controller and as I mentioned above, due to issues with my One controller I tried an Amazon Basics version for my son's PC and haven't had any issues. There are definitely lots of crap around from china etc. especially on eBay but this is an Amazon-made version that's officially licensed and is great for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...n/dp/B07D12RPHX/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1PZLII31TLP7A

Can't you plug it to USB and it become wired, like PS4 controller?
Yes, you can.

I would definitely get a controller. Some games just play better that way.

Xbox one S controller would be my go to choice when buying new. Should be plug and play and games will automatically show the correct icons etc.

I got the x360 pad which I think has the best buttons, sticks and triggers. Though the dpad sucks. Also got a original Xbox one controller and the size and feel in the hand is better than the x360 but I don't like the buttons as much. Dpad is much better.

I think the Switch pro controller works on windows as well these days? Or at least on Steam I believe it does. The pro controller might be the controller I like best currently so if you don't mind you might have to tweak some things that could be another option.

Though honestly I'd say just get a Xbox one controller.

I would definitely get a controller. Some games just play better that way.

Xbox one S controller would be my go to choice when buying new. Should be plug and play and games will automatically show the correct icons etc.

I got the x360 pad which I think has the best buttons, sticks and triggers. Though the dpad sucks. Also got a original Xbox one controller and the size and feel in the hand is better than the x360 but I don't like the buttons as much. Dpad is much better.

I think the Switch pro controller works on windows as well these days? Or at least on Steam I believe it does. The pro controller might be the controller I like best currently so if you don't mind you might have to tweak some things that could be another option.

Though honestly I'd say just get a Xbox one controller.

Isn't the button labels are reversed if you use switch pro controller?

it's literally starting to overflow with crap including at least 9-11 bags of prescriptions
OMG are you me??

I think the XBone controller is the best ergonomically, and it natively supports X-input which is what most PC games are using (basically the X360's gamepad). The huge downside IMO is the fact that it uses AA batteries which the gamepad does not charge even though it connects to a USB port.
If that bothers you (i.e. you don't want to produce chemical waste in the form of depleted batteries, or use rechargeable batteries that take 30 hours to recharge), then I suggest you go with something else.

It also depends on which platform you use in the PC. If all you play with is Steam, then steam itself has an automated wrapper of X-Input X360 controllers out of pretty much anything, including a dualshock 4 that charges an internal battery even while playing a game. Dualshock4 gamepads can be found at dirt-cheap prices too, and the advantage is two-fold is you already own a PS4.

One gamepad that has the best of both worlds is the Xbone Elite 2, which is the only xbone gamepad with embedded battery and charger, but that one is mighty expensive (~180€ in euroland).
But if you want to take advantage of the haptic rumble in the triggers, I think on PC the feature is only available on games from the Microsoft Store.

If someone could give me some input I'd appreciate it. Price used to actually be a factor, but there are some nice ones that are insanely affordable now.

Oh, and if you think I should get one please recommend some to look at. Thank you! :love:

Yes def get one

Back