W.T.F. Nvidia

ninelven

PM
Veteran
The driver is now over 550MB, and the control panel continues to degrade seemingly with every iteration.

It is slow to open, unresponsive (obscenely so if you happen to have a game running), and sometimes entire features won't open/work at all. Yesterday, in fact, the control panel itself wouldn't even open despite multiple attempts and even a forced shutdown via task manager. Legit had to reboot my machine to access my graphics cards settings. Jesus wept.

This is latest WHQL (lul) on latest Windows 10. Just shameful.

I wonder how much data DLSS requires per game in the driver.

nVidia doesn't want you to use the control panel. They want you to use geforce experience with much more aggressive terms&conditions so they can retrieve more data from your PC and your usage.
i.e. spy on you.

Deliberate move for fan boys / girls to boast?

* hahaha your pc took that long? Mine only took 1 minute!
* you don't have enough space? LOL my SSD is huge, it can fit all the driver updates

BTW it's not just Nvidia. Amd with its Radeon drivers also have the same problem.

Long ago I used ati tray tools as workaround. Because it's super fast.

But it no longer works

I regularly play on a laptop with a 1050 Ti and a desktop with a Vega 64.

IMO the Radeon Adrenalin driver's user experience is worlds apart from the regular geforce control panel in terms of UI responsiveness, options and general pleasantness.

The geforce control panel hasn't changed in how long? 15, 20 years?

I regularly play on a laptop with a 1050 Ti and a desktop with a Vega 64.

IMO the Radeon Adrenalin driver's user experience is worlds apart from the regular geforce control panel in terms of UI responsiveness, options and general pleasantness.

The geforce control panel hasn't changed in how long? 15, 20 years?

Its UI stays the same but the UX is much worse due to the horrendous load time

nVidia doesn't want you to use the control panel. They want you to use geforce experience with much more aggressive terms&conditions so they can retrieve more data from your PC and your usage.
i.e. spy on you.
Yeah.... what I expect. Was planning to grab an RTX 3XXX next year, but if things don't improve, I'm out.

now that's a lotta driver!
Yea, new game and hardware profiles likely account for most of any size increases. Unless there is a plan to remove old game/hardwares profiles I don't see the size decreasing anytime soon.

Edit: If driver size is an issue you can try the Nvidia driver slimming utility. Personally I don't have your control panel loading issues, but seems people have used it with excellent results.

Last edited:
Yea, new game and hardware profiles likely account for most of any size increases. Unless there is a plan to remove old game/hardwares profiles I don't see the size decreasing anytime soon.

Edit: If driver size is an issue you can try the Nvidia driver slimming utility. Personally I don't have your control panel loading issues, but seems people have used it with excellent results.

Never had any problems either, i'm not updating often though, half a year between at times. Not needing/using the control panel much either, don't see the need to. Install driver, play games, that's all i want/need.

The driver is now over 550MB, and the control panel continues to degrade seemingly with every iteration.

It is slow to open, unresponsive (obscenely so if you happen to have a game running), and sometimes entire features won't open/work at all. Yesterday, in fact, the control panel itself wouldn't even open despite multiple attempts and even a forced shutdown via task manager. Legit had to reboot my machine to access my graphics cards settings. Jesus wept.

Yup, this was my thoughts coming from AMD about a year ago. Incredibly slow, looks unchanged from XP days. So, so overdue for an overhaul.

If they want to bring everything in GFE then fine, but it needs the functionality of the control panel.

The control panel is in desperate need of an overhaul. Ideally they would integrate it with Geforce Experience and redesign the layout to explain what settings do in a more visually pleasing and informative manner.

I think this... is a complete abomination...

48892036183_b8091b3fef_h.jpg

It's pathetic how nothing scales to show more options, not to mention how terribly organized and grouped everything is. I understand functionality for a control panel is more important than presentation...but for a company the size of Nvidia... it's incredibly amateur looking.

It's pathetic how nothing scales to show more options, not to mention how terribly organized and grouped everything is. I understand functionality for a control panel is more important than presentation...but for a company the size of Nvidia... it's incredibly amateur looking.

As I wrote above, this is intentional.

For years, nvidia has been putting all the new driver features (recording, streaming, automatic game settings optimization, etc.) under the "Experience" suite, which constantly records your telemetry data, associates it with your e-mail address and sends it to their servers.

They don't want you to use control panel. They want you to install their spyware.

For years, nvidia has been putting all the new driver features (recording, streaming, automatic game settings optimization, etc.) under the "Experience" suite, which constantly records your telemetry data, associates it with your e-mail address and sends it to their servers.

They don't want you to use control panel. They want you to install their spyware.

True this is for all kinds of software and platforms though, W10 does it, Xbox does it and PS, Phones and tablets.

Geforce Experience is for the average user that wants to do a particular thing, that being optimizing their game for their PC config, recording their gameplay, updating their drivers or taking some nice screenshots. These are fairly basic parts of gaming on a PC combined with features found on consoles.

Many of the functions found in the Nvidia control panel most users simply have no idea what they do.

True this is for all kinds of software and platforms though, W10 does it, Xbox does it and PS, Phones and tablets.

For owners of ecosystems, yes.

But nvidia is the only IHV doing it.
I can't think of any motherboard, CPU, GPU, soundcard, RAM, SSD or PSU vendor doing the same.

For owners of ecosystems, yes.

But nvidia is the only IHV doing it.
I can't think of any motherboard, CPU, GPU, soundcard, RAM, SSD or PSU vendor doing the same.

Yeah gotta agree then, how things have changed. I remember ATI's drivers being much worse then Nvidia's back in the day, even held back performance alot.

Yeah gotta agree then, how things have changed. I remember ATI's drivers being much worse then Nvidia's back in the day, even held back performance alot.
Drivers =/= control panel though lol

Geforce Experience is for the average user that wants to do a particular thing, that being optimizing their game for their PC config, recording their gameplay, updating their drivers or taking some nice screenshots. These are fairly basic parts of gaming on a PC combined with features found on consoles.

Many of the functions found in the Nvidia control panel most users simply have no idea what they do.
Hence why I said they should redesign it and better explain/visualize what the settings do.

I don't care who you are... anyone could do with a better interface.

Exactly.. that is going to happen whether you use Geforce Experience or not. Which is why they should just put the entire control panel in there and at least make it cohesive and that way people who want to could do away with the legacy control panel for good.

Back