The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Part of me wished TLOU2 would have been a PS5 launch title after the E3 gameplay demo. At that time i even imagined or thought it was some kind of next gen early devkit demo. But was amazed that it was pro footage.
I know that I'll be playing it on PS4 but i rarely go back to replay solo games right after i finished them.
I do wonder if there will be a real enhanced PS5 version of the game with specific and exclusive features... If they'd the case I'm in.
If they just announce a patch with only graphical improvements I'll stick with the ps4 version.
I believe they might show more at PGW. Or madrid game show. And can't wait for a workshop , a vlog or making-of the game to learn more about tech tricks they have improved or new stuffs they have created.

And please ND bring back my multi-player mode in any form, may it be new game or not. the last mp game i played online was the division.
I miss the tactical commucative stealth intensity of tlou faction.

Part of me wished TLOU2 would have been a PS5 launch title after the E3 gameplay demo. At that time i even imagined or thought it was some kind of next gen early devkit demo. But was amazed that it was pro footage.
I know that I'll be playing it on PS4 but i rarely go back to replay solo games right after i finished them.
I do wonder if there will be a real enhanced PS5 version of the game with specific and exclusive features... If they'd the case I'm in.
If they just announce a patch with only graphical improvements I'll stick with the ps4 version.
I believe they might show more at PGW. Or madrid game show. And can't wait for a workshop , a vlog or making-of the game to learn more about tech tricks they have improved or new stuffs they have created.

And please ND bring back my multi-player mode in any form, may it be new game or not. the last mp game i played online was the division.
I miss the tactical commucative stealth intensity of tlou faction.
They'll most probably do a remaster with Ray Tracing shadows & lighting + 60fps + higher res assets. That's not something that would be realistically doable with a patch. The game already needs 2 Blurays. But not before 2021 IMO.

Last edited:
If the RT hardware in PS5 is so bad that it can't even put some sheen on the visuals of a PS4 game, they screwed up badly.
That's the thing tho, current gen games with RT is already pushing a 2080 ti at high res. I fear we wouldn't get past 1440p for Tlou2 raytracing on the PS5. A full blown next gen game with RT is near impossible at even 1080p if there's no substantial Radeon optimization.

If the RT hardware in PS5 is so bad that it can't even put some sheen on the visuals of a PS4 game, they screwed up badly.
I upvoted this because you're right; but at the same time, it costs. To be fair, you're asking developers to run that second rendering pipeline to replace a lot of those baked items with a ray traced pipeline.
On paper for a lot of studios that don't have insanely optimized engines/hacks for PS4, this 2nd pathway (especially for multiplatform companies already doing RT titles) this is extension should be fairly okay to traverse. But this might not be the case for 1st party developers. Or titles long in development (ie RDR2)

But for TLOU2 for instance, it could be a significant amount of work unless they are already working on a RT pipeline as we speak and announcing it for the PS5 launch. (within the realm of possibility - any title that is launching around PS5 time for instance)

We've seen bolt-on RT and based on history, It works, but it's not as efficient as games having more time to design their whole pipeline hybridized with RT.

I would imagine that bolt on RT for older titles is more effort than the checkerboard rendering/reconstruction with PS4 Pro is.

Except some wizardry from Sony, I don't see how RT on a 500-600 dollars console could be faster and more efficient that what we have on 2080ti. Yeah, the tech will be younger, but still... I don't see AMD pulling that off, so I don't believe in 4k RT for next gen, even "patches" to have some ps4/ ps4pro game running with rt...

I upvoted this because you're right; but at the same time, it costs. To be fair, you're asking developers to run that second rendering pipeline to replace a lot of those baked items with a ray traced pipeline.

I'm just commenting of the possible lack of PS5 RT power, I do not expect new graphics tech to be deployed in a free update. That was the other guy.

Can RT hardware [physical transistor if they are separate] be used for something else besides raytracing if dev does not want to use RT?

Can RT hardware [physical transistor if they are separate] be used for something else besides raytracing if dev does not want to use RT?
All our current understanding around RT hardware is
a) some form of acceleration structure that needs to be traversed quickly
b) intersection of rays and those triangles in that acceleration structure, return the triangles intersected.
c) update the data in the structure each frame

The silicon is absolutely necessary and will be very effective at this job.

The key you're looking for is that it doesn't need to be used for graphics. Which it was never forced to be.
It can be used for any ray casting intersection operations that devs require.
And we still cast many rays anyway today without specialized hardware. Any type of isometric 3D title where you click on things (diablo, SC etc) all use rays to push through the camera and determine which unit you hit for instance. Whether a enemy AI can see you, or if the rays hit specific parts of their body etc. Anytime your cursor is pointing at an object but you need to see the item under the cursor; those are ray casts or forms of them.

I don't think so. AFAIK RT can be used for graphics (shadows and lighting) and audio (which was implemented in software in Killzone Shadow fall, 6 years ago).

I think one of the easiest way to use RT is to render shadows. What kind of game doesn't have shadows to cast ?
"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA.

Devs are definitely going to use that hardware for one (or several) of those use cases. I think It could also be used for AI stuff when there is some kind of path involved.

Depending on the the RT h/w they could add RT contact shadows and RT AO for dynamic objects(except maybe foliage). I honestly don't see them changing anything with the lighting, considering most of it is baked already and technically already ray traced :p

I also don't see why such an upgrade would come at a price for PS5 owners.

Pfft. Its ND and I am pretty sure they ultimately plan on supporting RT on the PS5. What better way to start that process than to remaster TLOU 2 with RT? Remastering TLOU 2 allows ND to reinvent part of the wheel rather than whole damn thing. They can simply take what they learn and build on top of that RT knowledge for the next title.

TLOU2 becomes a cheap development project that funds and starts the effort to exploit RT to its fullest

If AMD's solution is anything like what they patented, the BVH traversal will be done by the texturing unit, and the rest by compute. So in that case, very little RT only hardware actually exists.

You should be able to do silly things like shader selection per pixel and so on. (Trace to dummy target with different shaders in different directions. (IE, inside cube.)
If AMD's solution is anything like what they patented, the BVH traversal will be done by the texturing unit, and the rest by compute. So in that case, very little RT only hardware actually exists.
I would expect the minimum of ray/triangle intersection to be accelerated as well.
Shading is and should be done by same hardware as with rasterization.

Last edited:
Back