The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know about the plurality there. RDR2 is amongst the best looking games this generation, sharing that title with exclusives like God of War and Gears of War. I can't think of another multiplatform game that really competes.
And even if it's among the best looking, it's only among the best looking open world games, some linear games still look substantially better.

EDIT 2: Seems like just regular SSR. It's just a lucky scene in that the disocluded parts leave holes in the reflection in a close enough shape to that which you'd expect of proper reflections. Excet only for the two thin shelves, which some rays skip through, which is something to be expected of real time ray-marching, which sacrifices some precision for performance.

I don't see how any cubemap could have any useful data in an environment that is mostly completely devoid of light, and relies entirely on dynamic lightsources. What lighting would you bake in for it?

Hmm yeah I still don't see how it can be SSR, most of the information is not there in screen space. Guess we'll find out when the game releases :p

Would be nice if they went the remedy route and used SDF reflections as a fallback with SSR when it works(but this is probably not the case), and I agree a cubemap there wouldn't work at all.

Trailer looks great and I'm glad they lifted the veil of uncertainty about Joel. :yes:

I don't care at all abut the tech, I only care about the gameplay, the characters and the story.

I read many reviews and the gameplay, AI, story are great. Other parts are great too but this is the most important part.

EDIT: They did not ask the question. Will grounded will be possible. There is a skill tree and one of the skill is linked to listen mode. It is much more difficult because of the dogs.

Last edited:
What I like about the footage is that the game looks responsive, very much unlike RDR2. i.e. they didn't sacrifice responsiveness for animation quality.

Looks like the flashlight GI is back, a lot less noisy than U4, they seem to be doing a better job at filtering the result.

giuukk5.png

Also, I'm not really sure what's going on here with the reflections:

reflections9ikrb.png

^ There's not enough information for this to be SSR and it doesn't look like a static cubemap, maybe a mix of things, the shelves look dithered and wrong :p
Just something standard with an advantageous angle, not RT reflections or something.

Which games do you think look substantially better?
For linear games, Detroit, God of War, UC4 and Metro Exodus. Those games simply pump out better quality pixels per frame, more density, far better assets, character models, higher res textures, better particles and more handcrafted overall. RDR2 only excels at simulation, bigger scope and a good lighting model, if you scrutinize the minute details, assets, models, etc they don't really stack up to the best. Look at those trees in the first level, some of them are worse than PS3 trees.

I can't, I just can't. And some people said they're not impressed?
TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_03.jpg

TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_12.jpg

TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_10.0.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19233917/TLOUPII_DEMO_SCREEN_08.jpg

Vegetation quality reminds me of Crysis 3 which was made for last gen.
Now I have looked at my Crysis 3 PC pictures and the similarities in the vegetation are clear (polycount and shading).

One can pick out a lot when comparing. Dynamic weather and more importantly a dynamic change of day alone offer many possibilities. At noon games usually look worse and flatter than at dusk. This is also the case in reality. Nature photographers are usually not on the road at noon. Games without a dynamic change of day will mostly not play in these times. Some like to compare screnshots of those non dynamic games with bad ones from games with the dynamic change of day.

Last edited:
And I can pick out some foliage in Crysis 3 looking like PS2 quality. Besides C3 doesn't even use a full blown PBR which makes most of its foliage plastic looking.

Often PBS materials for vegetation also look like plastic. PBS seems to work more reliably with metals and therefore metal mostly looks good in current gen games. On the other hand, vegetation doesn't always look as good in games. In many videogames I don't see a distinct difference in vegetation shading between this gen and last gen titles. This is also the case with other programs like AutoCAD etc. when rendering images with raytracing.

But there are also games in this generation where the shading of the vegetation looks very realistic. It is possible.

Apart from the materials vegetation also looks like plastic if they don't have backlight scattering.

Last edited:
I also wasn't that much impressed by some of the screenshots. I think it's because of toned down colour palette. But this game really shines in motion, where attention to detail and overall graphics quality is more obvious.

For linear games, Detroit, God of War, UC4 and Metro Exodus. Those games simply pump out better quality pixels per frame, more density, far better assets, character models, higher res textures, better particles and more handcrafted overall. RDR2 only excels at simulation, bigger scope and a good lighting model, if you scrutinize the minute details, assets, models, etc they don't really stack up to the best. Look at those trees in the first level, some of them are worse than PS3 trees.

I haven't played Detroit, so I can't comment, but the others I don't think look better than RDR2.

I agree that if you scrutinise individual aspects, RDR2 isn't level with or ahead of Uncharted 4 and God of War, but in terms of the overall visual impact they had on me whilst playing, they're all games I'd mention in the same breath.

The animation, especially in the faces, is incredibly well done. The eyes look great. They also have real nice art direction and maybe tonemapping. In contrast to other games they seem to understand ... contrast ... well and don't abuse it. Looking at those screens it's almost impossible to find true black anywhere. You get a really nice image where it's mostly mid-tones and black is slightly raised. They just understand image composition better than pretty much everyone else. This game is just pleasant to look at. You can see everything in the image. You don't have huge parts of the screen that are crushing black and other parts that are blinding white.

It's also got maybe some kind of filmic post-processing. The image looks soft and it has some kind of film grain or filmic tonemapping, maybe? You can see a bit of aliasing, so I don't think their AA is too aggressive, but it does look soft and that makes it look more like film than an over-sharp game. Dof contributes to that too.

You could take a lot of available games, and if they had applied the same principles to them and corrected the contrast they'd look massively better. Not to say they'd look as good as this, but much closer.

Just something standard with an advantageous angle, not RT reflections or something.

When showing trailers they usually view the best angles etc, blur things alot.

RDR2 looks just as good as last of us 2 trailers do imo, bar the char models.

And I can pick out some foliage in Crysis 3 looking like PS2 quality. Besides C3 doesn't even use a full blown PBR which makes most of its foliage plastic looking.

Maybe about PS2 graphics, but overall in Ultra i think Crysis 3 looks just as good or even better then last of us 2. Hell i think it is probably the best looking game this gen, Since that is a personal opionon, i decided to look on the net for polls and others opinions, and most seem to think C3 has better gfx then HZD (one of the best looking PS4 titles, esp in open world). Art goes to HZD though. The PC version of C3 offcourse.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/sys...wn-ps4-vs-crysis-3-pc-which-has-bet-33427633/

Btw, PS2 was kinda good at grass for being the hardware/age.

Vegetation quality reminds me of Crysis 3 which was made for last gen.
Now I have looked at my Crysis 3 PC pictures and the similarities in the vegetation are clear (polycount and shading).

One can pick out a lot when comparing. Dynamic weather and more importantly a dynamic change of day alone offer many possibilities. At noon games usually look worse and flatter than at dusk. This is also the case in reality. Nature photographers are usually not on the road at noon. Games without a dynamic change of day will mostly not play in these times. Some like to compare screnshots of those non dynamic games with bad ones from games with the dynamic change of day.

With enough blurring, the perfect angles, and cinematic experiences a game can look way better then it actually does, percieved quality atleast.

I think there are specific areas where each of those titles are superior to RDR 2, and of course ray traced GI is technically well above it, but none of those games offer a net sum visual impression better than RDR 2 IMO.

When showing trailers they usually view the best angles etc, blur things alot.

RDR2 looks just as good as last of us 2 trailers do imo, bar the char models.

Maybe about PS2 graphics, but overall in Ultra i think Crysis 3 looks just as good or even better then last of us 2. Hell i think it is probably the best looking game this gen, Since that is a personal opionon, i decided to look on the net for polls and others opinions, and most seem to think C3 has better gfx then HZD (one of the best looking PS4 titles, esp in open world). Art goes to HZD though. The PC version of C3 offcourse.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/sys...wn-ps4-vs-crysis-3-pc-which-has-bet-33427633/

Btw, PS2 was kinda good at grass for being the hardware/age.

With enough blurring, the perfect angles, and cinematic experiences a game can look way better then it actually does, percieved quality atleast.
Really, taking polls from System wars lol? I know Resetera isn't perfect but it does have far more credibility than that trash of a place, after all actual game devs, executives and game journalists routinely participate in Era discussion. And the sample size is much bigger in the thousands, which shows GoW edging out RDR2 with no Crysis 3 even mentioned.
https://www.strawpoll.me/16720849/r
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-ultimate-graphics-poll-fall-2018-edition.77201/
PBS is the bread and butter of current gen and Tlou2 just so happens to sport an excellent pipeline, the lack of a proper PBS pipeline in C3 automatically disqualify it in the same discussion, it belongs to last gen as where it should.

Just took the first hit on google, yeah it is a trash place, but the one you linked isn't much better. One can cherry pick polls in favor of any game i think. Reading the comments it surprises me how many think gow doesn't look that good outside a few areas and the models. I usually view what people have to say also

Back