The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Graphically; while hard to compare; I got a lot of RDR2 engine vibes. The way the scene is lit; the character models; the animation I guess; Which arguably has been the best graphics I’ve seen on X1X for a 30fps title.

God damn I'm still shaking from watching this, will post more later but right now this is absolutely next level graphics wise, the whole damn thing looks like a movie but with gameplay.

Skin looks a bit plasticy in a few of the scenes but overall this is definitely a step up from Uncharted 4/TLL, looks a lot cleaner.

It looks very polished indeed. But honestly, not completely beyond what we've already seen this gen. Some stuff is above the AAA bar, some otgers are a tad bellow. Eager to see more gameplay.

Could be from the YouTube compression, but I was not very impressed either. It looked worse than Uncharted 4 to me, or God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman or even Final Fantasy XV.

It looks very polished indeed. But honestly, not completely beyond what we've already seen this gen. Some stuff is above the AAA bar, some otgers are a tad bellow. Eager to see more gameplay.
It's definitely competing among the best; but I would agree that what we've seen is well within the realm of what these consoles have shown to be capable of. I had a much different impression from the 2017/2018 reveals, but with the recent releases, it's definitely falling into the same clustering among the best - but not a deviation above.

The snow rendering or lighting in general are seriously impressive, gives the whole scene a heavy sense of weight and tangibility.
image_the_last_of_us_part_ii-41171-3757_0007.jpg

image_the_last_of_us_part_ii-41171-3757_0004.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_the_last_of_us_part_ii-41171-3757_0006.jpg
Coming straight off Gears 5 and you can see the jump in visual fidelity is massive.
fwee3hzwuml31.png

Gears-5-Screenshot-2019-09-02-13-58-10.png

I would choose a game with similar FOV and frame rates.
Gears is pulled back and 60fps.

RDR2 is much closer in setup to TLOU2 than Gears will ever be.

I mean, Ellie takes up 50% of the screen realestate in the first shot there, Kait takes up about 1/16.
There's a huge difference in how much you can render if you play with FOV enough. In the E3 gameplay Ellie takes about 1/8 the screen realestate when crouched. And uses up to 50% when taking a shot.

I mean, i'm not saying this is bad, but we should recognize how playing with the FOV and camera positions can provide
a) dramatic direction
b) increase the level of detail
c) things look pretty

but realize that you aren't seeing all that much. @BRiT does a good comparison of FOV here:

A very different game from the wide flanking type game that gears is.

Last edited:
Game looks like another Naughty Dog and Sony masterpiece. 5 million easily in 3 days... :yep2:

The graphics look gorgeous... nothing far beyond Detroit: Become Human or Gears 5 technical aspects though. However, the characters animation surrounding their interactions with each other and the environment is unbelievable at times. Almost as if their real-time animation are offline CGI work. Impressive indeed.

I would choose a game with similar FOV and frame rates.
Gears is pulled back and 60fps.

RDR2 is much closer in setup to TLOU2 than Gears will ever be.

I mean, Ellie takes up 50% of the screen realestate in the first shot there, Kait takes up about 1/16.
There's a huge difference in how much you can render if you play with FOV enough. In the E3 gameplay Ellie takes about 1/8 the screen realestate when crouched. And uses up to 50% when taking a shot.

I mean, i'm not saying this is bad, but we should recognize how playing with the FOV and camera positions can provide
a) dramatic direction
b) increase the level of detail
c) things look pretty

but realize that you aren't seeing all that much. @BRiT does a good comparison of FOV here:

A very different game from the wide flanking type game that gears is.
Their FOVs are much closer than you think actually. All depends on the camera movement and zooming etc.
GQF5qjE.png

TLOU2 Trailer capture
untitledsqkmg.jpg

The world density, lighting and shading quality are not that affected by the FOV distance in Tlou2 from what I can see.

I agree. ND just worked their magics. I do hope what we have seen from the latest gameplay reveal with the ai will make it in the final retail.
Can't wait to see more gameplay footage tomorrow and hear the first previews.

Just noticed one lil detail in the trailer :
When Ellie melees the womab against the wall with the muzzle flash. The light seens doesn't seems to follow the movement but that's a minor detail.

I think i might pre order both the special edition and the digital....

The world density, lighting and shading quality are not that affected by the FOV distance in Tlou2 from what I can see.
It's the case with all new games to be like this. Designed so you don't' notice it. But it doesn't mean it's not happening.

But you can see the difference between your shots. Act 1 with a closer FOV has significantly more going on than the Act 2 being zoomed out for Gears.

And once again, comparing a 60fps title to a 30fps one. Gears has 16ms less time to do things with. You need to look back to RDR 2 to get similar FOV changes and lighting and shadows.

It's the case with all new games to be like this. Designed so you don't' notice it. But it doesn't mean it's not happening.

But you can see the difference between your shots. Act 1 with a closer FOV has significantly more going on than the Act 2 being zoomed out for Gears.

And once again, comparing a 60fps title to a 30fps one. Gears has 16ms less time to do things with. You need to look back to RDR 2 to get similar FOV changes and lighting and shadows.

Not sure why you bringing XBOX version.

I played gears 5 on XBO in 30fps and 720~1080 dynamic resolution. Pretty sure tlou2 will run at 1080/30 on my PS4.

It really looks great!

They are maxing out the PS4, and are prododucing really impressive but not impossible visuals. The game will ship with 2 BD discs, and Neil has said this is their longest game yet. Can't wait to play it.

If this is the best that PS4 can offer, I can't wait to see what will Sony 1st party produce on PS5.

Back