Red Dead Redemption 2

Easy. They’ll remaster it and release it again in a couple of years on next gen with everything fixed.

We'll see. I don't think this game's gonna have the kinds of legs GTA V had. And even the people who adore the game won't be too thrilled about having to replay those first couple of hours in which you basically just hold the x button down.
Technically it's also a way more accomplished and polished thing than GTA V was on the PS3 and the 360.

We'll see. I don't think this game's gonna have the kinds of legs GTA V had. And even the people who adore the game won't be too thrilled about having to replay those first couple of hours in which you basically just hold the x button down.

Since I first bought GTA III on PS2, this is the first Rockstar game I've bought where I've not wanted to replay it immediately after completing it for the first time. It's weird how all the cool stuff fades and my brain remembers terrible controls and slow. I'm sure I will try to replay it at some point. Having looked back at my first post following playing the game, these were my first takes too!

finished it a while ago but still play it regularly, offline mode, just exploring et always finding news things, contemplating this exeptionnaly well crafted world. Observing and testing the AI. So many things to see, the most alive open world i've seen to date.

And this is the real shame. The game has so much to offer; that Rockstar magic where a bunch of independent game systems produce delightful and hilarious events and situations. But that control system needs shooting in the face, only if you tried you'd probably punch your horse instead! :yep2:

That's the curse of trying to make realistic physics apply to the player as well (especially for movement), I suppose. You either have crisp and responsive controls or you have realistic physics based controls (and a spectrum in between).

Most gamers aren't going to appreciate if your character moves and reacts more realistically with the player body reacting at least someone realistically WRT inertia, weight, etc., but I suppose it looks better in 3rd person. And if that carries over to the weapons I can see that being considered a negative thing. I own a US Calvary Winchester 30-30 long barrel. It's a heavy weapon and there's no way to wield it in a way that gamer's expect in a game. Same goes for the revolvers of the time.

If they were indeed going for realistic animations (which it seems they were) WRT weight and inertia, I can commend them for that. But it's obviously going to alienate a lot of gamers from a gaming perspective. Heck horses in real life aren't going to respond as quickly as players in games expect. So yeah, I can see where a lot of people get frustrated. A case of realism impinging on gameplay.

Myself, I like realism injected into games in an attempt to make it a little bit more like a simulation of life.

Regards,
SB

That's the curse of trying to make realistic physics apply to the player as well (especially for movement), I suppose. You either have crisp and responsive controls or you have realistic physics based controls (and a spectrum in between).

Most gamers aren't going to appreciate if your character moves and reacts more realistically with the player body reacting at least someone realistically WRT inertia, weight, etc., but I suppose it looks better in 3rd person. And if that carries over to the weapons I can see that being considered a negative thing. I own a US Calvary Winchester 30-30 long barrel. It's a heavy weapon and there's no way to wield it in a way that gamer's expect in a game. Same goes for the revolvers of the time.

If they were indeed going for realistic animations (which it seems they were) WRT weight and inertia, I can commend them for that. But it's obviously going to alienate a lot of gamers from a gaming perspective. Heck horses in real life aren't going to respond as quickly as players in games expect. So yeah, I can see where a lot of people get frustrated. A case of realism impinging on gameplay.

Myself, I like realism injected into games in an attempt to make it a little bit more like a simulation of life.

Regards,
SB

The problem with games that try to have the main character move like in real life usually end up not being responsive and still not moving realisitcally.
A real life horse does not react instantaneously to an analogue stick tilt, but nor does it stumble into rocks and tip over like a ragdoll every 5 minutes like they do in Red Dead.

Why does the game Trespasser (1998) come to mind?

The character moving slower and more realistically wasn't the issue for me, it was that Rockstar disabled certain actions arbitrarily (like the ability to run in camp) and the contextual control system was would contextually do things based on things you couldn't see on camera or because it was locking onto something you didn't want it to.

The problem with games that try to have the main character move like in real life usually end up not being responsive and still not moving realisitcally.
A real life horse does not react instantaneously to an analogue stick tilt, but nor does it stumble into rocks and tip over like a ragdoll every 5 minutes like they do in Red Dead.
I don't think any reactions in this game can be called instantaneous with the crazy level of input lag that plagues the game (about 11 frames).

https://screenrant.com/red-dead-redemption-2-lag-problems/

Watching Bikeman streaming the new online content patch while I do some work. OMG are the visuals, atmosphere, presentation and feel of this game simply amazing. Nothing else this generation even comes close, IMO.

Watching as a storm rolls in... Hold on while I pick my jaw up off the floor. Also, some of the most realistic fog I've seen in a game. Man, watching this makes me nostalgic for when I was just growing up. Horseback riding, hunting, fishing, just riding around the countryside, etc.

By far the most realistic depictions of horseback riding I've seen in a game. NOTE - most realistic in a game, not saying it's absolutely realistic. :p

Dagnabbit, they really need to release a PC port of this. While Cyberpunk 2077 might end up being the first and only open world game I complete. I could see myself spending hours and hours in this game just to relax and unwind.

Regards,
SB

I imagine this will come out a bit before the next gen consoles and it'll be the basis for the Next gen console version of the game. Similar to what happened with GTA V.
Eh? GTA V came out on PS4/XBO in 2014, it came out on PC in 2015.

Happy Holiday to all. Its been a while since I've followed this forum, going back to last gen (360 owner). Anyway, I finally was able to get a hold of a new PS4 Pro this Holiday as my first new console for this current generation. I was blown away by the likes of exclusives such as HZD, GOW and Uncharted 4. Even cross platform such as RE4 and AC: Odyssey were impressive graphically.

With that in mind, I didn't quite feel the same way with RDR2 graphically speaking. Now, I'm playing on a 43" TCL 4K LED TV with no HDR capability. The first thing I've noticed was how soft the graphics looked compared to say HZD (especially the foliage in the background). So I did some researched and found out that the checkerboard implementation was "reconstructed". Can someone please explain to me in layman's term why the developer did this and will there be a patch to remedy this issue? I'm actually quite surprised that this late in the current generation life cycle, that we would see this kind of downgrade (relative to other games).

I've watched some of the Youtube video of RDR2 playing on the Xbox one X and PC (4K res) and they both looked impressive with much sharper clarity. I understand that the PS4 can't do native 4K resolution, but with proper checkerboarding, it should look as sharp as native 4K at least to where the human eyes can go. The sharpness in AC: Odyssey for example is indistinguishable when compared to the XBOX One X version as compared per Digital Foundry. I'm just a bit disappointed with the RDR2 purchased considering the high praise that the game received from its technical/graphics achievement alone.

The short answer is that it's the same reason that they never released a Pro/X1X patch for GTAV in spite of making some portion of a billion dollars a year on those devices.

It's the only area that it falls down though. In my opinion, it's the best looking game of this generation. That lighting :yes:

Happy Holiday to all. Its been a while since I've followed this forum, going back to last gen (360 owner). Anyway, I finally was able to get a hold of a new PS4 Pro this Holiday as my first new console for this current generation. I was blown away by the likes of exclusives such as HZD, GOW and Uncharted 4. Even cross platform such as RE4 and AC: Odyssey were impressive graphically.

With that in mind, I didn't quite feel the same way with RDR2 graphically speaking. Now, I'm playing on a 43" TCL 4K LED TV with no HDR capability. The first thing I've noticed was how soft the graphics looked compared to say HZD (especially the foliage in the background). So I did some researched and found out that the checkerboard implementation was "reconstructed". Can someone please explain to me in layman's term why the developer did this and will there be a patch to remedy this issue? I'm actually quite surprised that this late in the current generation life cycle, that we would see this kind of downgrade (relative to other games).

I've watched some of the Youtube video of RDR2 playing on the Xbox one X and PC (4K res) and they both looked impressive with much sharper clarity. I understand that the PS4 can't do native 4K resolution, but with proper checkerboarding, it should look as sharp as native 4K at least to where the human eyes can go. The sharpness in AC: Odyssey for example is indistinguishable when compared to the XBOX One X version as compared per Digital Foundry. I'm just a bit disappointed with the RDR2 purchased considering the high praise that the game received from its technical/graphics achievement alone.

It's sad but RDR2 is quit "famous" for looking like crap on PS4pro :/ And no they didn't patch it, and most likely won't. DF explains it pretty well, they messed up the upscale. Why they did this ? My guess is they don't want to allocate people to fix it and propose a proper upscale/reconstruction solution, It's rockstar we're talking about.

Back