Gears 5 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Interesting, it seems the level design is similar to the original Crysis or Far Cry. Multiple very large open exploration areas. And then throw in modern gaming tropes (side missions, leveling?, skills, etc.).

I also like that the game doesn't scream at you that there are side missions by filling your map with icons all over. In fact, it sounds like the game does nothing to inform you of many of the side missions, you actually have to go and discover them yourself.

Being someone that like exploration, that might be cool.

All of which is certainly not what I was expecting from a Gears game. I'm unsure of whether I'll like it or not. I'm rather fond of the directed action segments in the previous Gears games. I liked the coherent and tight stories.

But, thanks to Gamepass, it doesn't matter if I like it or not. If I do, then I'll play it. If not then I won't. Either way I'll get to try it and see at no cost other than my membership fee.

Regards,
SB

An article talking with Gears 5 Technical Director, https://www.windowscentral.com/gears-5-tech-talk-interview-xbox-one-pc

Xbox One tech, PC promises, 4K ambition
Delving into the technology powering Gears 5 – and how it elevates the adventure on Xbox and PC.

This bit caught my eye.

"We more than doubled the simulation speed. There was a lot of CPU optimization, focused on that so that we could keep the same fidelity and player counts. We moved a lot of the systems off the CPU into the GPU," said Rayner. "We switched the physics engine, from PhysX to Havoc. Havoc is a much more performant physics engine. [...] We did a lot of graphical optimizations, a lot of it's just using the latest techniques. And then we have implemented a temporal reproduction technique."

The implication here is that the CPU is a major bottleneck in achieving the combinaton of high fidelity, high resolution, and high framerate.

I'm excited for console players next generation possibly being able to expect 60 FPS gaming in most games rather than just in a few games. It'll be more PC like in the fact that the CPU will now rarely be the limiting factor. Something that PC gamers almost never run into as there aren't really any PC gamers with CPUs as weak as the Jaguar cores were in the current generation, even when the generation launched.

Also interesting comment on PhysX. While free is good for smaller devs, Havoc is generally the choice for AAA developers with a good budget due to it's performance benefits. So it's kind of surprising that they used PhysX in Gears 4.

Also, I hope their Temporal reconstruction is better at 60 FPS than the one Remedy uses in Control. Don't get me wrong, it's a good implementation, but I'm a bit sensitive to the artifacts. Man, I really can't wait until I can move to 120 Hz with the wave of temporal reconstruction games that will be coming as the next generation approaches.

Regards,
SB

OK, looks like embargo for streaming the campaign has just been lifted. DO NOT WATCH STREAMS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED.

I don't mind myself since I'm going to play it regardless. Game looks fantastic on PC and the graphics options are impressive. This is how a PC version of a game should be treated. I'm glad that MS are no longer shunning PC for their games.

I wonder how close the single player campaign will be able to get to the PC version on the XBO-X? And more importantly how much better it'll look on Project Scarlett? I'm going to guess they already have graphics settings and a performance profile for the game for Project Scarlett.

I really do hope that Project Scarlett has 60 FPS in virtually all games and KB/M support in almost all games. At this point, I would love to ditch PC gaming if I can. Then again, in one years time, maybe the PC gaming landscape will go back to being more gamer friendly than it is now.

Regards,
SB

Hope there's a 4k cbr 30fps mode on X1X to match PC's Maximum settings bar Raytracing, or a native 4k 30fps mode. It's a wasted opportunity to go 60fps when you can increase the world density, lighting and shaders with 30fps in this type of cinematic game, at least for single player. I watched the first Act, it's like they finally caught up with Uncharted 4 graphics if lacking a bit in foliage density, still Gears 4 had great HDR and I expect the HDR to be excellent here too. Two more days to go.

The reviews look very good. Looks like 80% of the reviews are sitting at 8-8+. The 20% below that line. That's fairly good and what I would hope to expect statistically spread over some distribution. If I see only 9 and 10, I'm very not likely to believe it; you can't have a game that is universally loved by everyone, that just doesn't make any sense. For someone to really love it, someone must hate it. And if no one hates it, I suspect it's not a very lovable game. Not the type of game that strikes me as a GOTY/95+ contender; you know the type, movies that are bred for the Academy Awards, I think Games are formulaic in that way too.

The critical scores are always good to read in a sea of high scores because you want to get an idea of what made the experience not good for them. I always hunt for 1-2 star reviews on amazon before purchasing to see if that particular item could affect me.

Most of my emphasis will be based on the SP; which is looking at the reviews here to expect a 7-8 for me. That's fine for a single playthrough. Though I know Al and Brit and a couple others here are going to be looking at those commentary on Horde and Escape mode ;) I'm always confused on how you guys do 50 waves. That's just incredibly long.

Last edited:
The shoehorning of the open world sections is kinda disappointing according to the reviews, looks like I'll be skipping those areas since they're barren and pointless. And boy do the graphics take a hit in those areas despite being claimed as much larger than Gears 4's.
gears-5-screenshot-20akkj8.png

EDn08i4XkAAZpm7

Though I know Al and Brit and a couple others here are going to be looking at those commentary on Horde and Escape mode ;) I'm always confused on how you guys do 50 waves. That's just incredibly long.

I've played with them before. They just say "look at all dat juice" between each wave to motivate themselves.

I agree, 50 waves is crazy, sometimes even 25 is a push but at least on the 25 it's higher paced with less lul. I wish they would be setup in starting waves of 10 for Public play, so you can setup better situations. Gears 4 horde needs Arcade mode modifiers. I hope 5 brings back Arcade/Skull modifiers. Even make then collectible from Campaign mode like Halo series. Gears 3 might have had those, or was it Judgement?

3 had the mutators.

I think I saw something about hitting the fabricator button to start a wave earlier* (makes more sense early-on where you don't really build much, but maybe that's a testament to unintended game design). I'd like to see them take that further and experiment ala tower defense where you can send waves early and have bonuses to the cash/cheddar for being...

........Swarmed.

*if it's just a one-person button to start the wave early, that could be bad with randoms. Since it's a 5 person team and 30 seconds is the typical countdown for building, maybe they should have it so that each player can activate the button and decrease the timer by 5 seconds per person (once) - so at most, -25 seconds if all players hit the button.

Game looks so smooth from what I've been seeing. Bout to run through this campaign all night tomorrow! Let's gooooo!

I didn't realise the release his was so close. I wasn't interested but the reviews speak for themselves. Time to revisit and finish Gears 4.

Huh, apparently, I can start playing tonight. Thanks GPUltimate.

I didn't realise the release his was so close. I wasn't interested but the reviews speak for themselves. Time to revisit and finish Gears 4.
Got a co-op partner? :p

*anxiety rises* ಠ_ಠ

Back