Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is the baseless rumors and sketchy sites thread... this old rumor of a discrete GPU design would fit that awful looking SDK design. As I stated before, the chambering design looks more fit for something having multiple processing components (CPU/GPU) requiring serious ventilation and possibly separation.

or,

It could be an APU and a revised CELL... :runaway:

Exclusive: In the hustle and bustle of Computex, I had an interesting conversation with someone who will remain anonymous, about Sony's next-gen PlayStation console.

After I had found out what this person did, I had a few questions to ask about the PS5 and what it will arrive as - especially when we look at Microsoft's upcoming Project Scorpio console. The first question I had was "will it feature a discrete GPU" to which I received a smile and a "I can't say exactly", and then I said would it feature an APU like Project Scorpio, and then there was a "no".

This is all I heard, and this person is deep in the industry and would know a fair amount of what to expect, and while they might not know exactly which GPU will be inside of the PlayStation 5, the sheer possibility that PS5 might feature a proper GPU instead of a watered down and power constrained APU, is exciting.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/57845/playstation-5-feature-full-discrete-gpu-apu/index.html

Now you hold the console itself up to your eyes to experience VR!

A tear rolls down Nintendo's cheek...

virtual-boy.jpg

Judging by these images, PS2, PS3, PS4 and Pro SDKs have internal PSUs. No different than most PC cases housing PSUs.

tFeey.gif

269952073_0bf6a4ea0e_b.jpg

DUH-D1000AA_-_back_lateral.png

ps4-pro-neo-devkit-testkit-ofw-3-70-pictures-and-screenshots-5-jpg.1685
They were always very industrial designs, but this one seems to have aspects we associate more with consumer products.

They were always very industrial designs, but this one seems to have aspects we associate more with consumer products.

That design is such a turnoff in so many ways, I would have to custom design a case and possibly a water cooling solution while I'm at it. But hopefully, it's just a patented mockup - of ugliness.

That design is such a turnoff in so many ways, I would have to custom design a case and possibly a water cooling solution while I'm at it. But hopefully, it's just a patented mockup - of ugliness.
If this is a real patent, this is not a mockup. But we don't have the patent to look at, it would explain why the vents are that way.

It's funny because a video projector looking like this would be a fully expected design. And those are made that way for the utmost reduction of turbulence.

There might be airflow theory here that they intend to use also on the consumer console. Surely it won't be that big, as we've seen with all the other devkits versus consoles.

Maybe they asked for help from the SXRD projector team :LOL:

If this is a real patent, this is not a mockup. But we don't have the patent to look at, it would explain why the vents are that way.

It's funny because a video projector looking like this would be a fully expected design. And those are made that way for the utmost reduction of turbulence.

There might be airflow theory here that they intend to use also on the consumer console. Surely it won't be that big, as we've seen with all the other devkits versus consoles.

Maybe they asked for help from the SXRD projector team :LOL:
The language matches the language used for other dev kits. The feet placement and inlets on top for another unit to be stacked are suited for dev environments.

The language matches the language used for other dev kits. The feet placement and inlets on top for another unit to be stacked are suited for dev environments.
It does match previous devkits, the form factor, the stackable design, the front panel, pcb in the center... But the airflow have two major features we haven't seen before. The peculiar V on the top, and the turbine-like vents on the sides.

I don't think it's ugly, just very weird. I can't fully figure out why it's made that way. For a devkit every aspect have a functional goal.

I don't think it's ugly, just very weird. I can't fully figure out why it's made that way. For a devkit every aspect have a functional goal.

For anything that isn't being mass produced (by the million), a whole bunch of different factors will dictate the design and choice of components and chasis. Some development boxes look worse on the inside because they are a WIP. The goal is, can folks develop code for my production platform on it? Anything else is a distant second, third, fourth etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does match previous devkits, the form factor, the stackable design, the front panel, pcb in the center... But the airflow have two major features we haven't seen before. The peculiar V on the top, and the turbine-like vents on the sides.

Because it consumes quite more power than previous devkits so it needs more (reliable) air intake ? It could be 40CUs at 2ghz (Oberon leak) maybe using 7nm only. The 2ghz is most probably locked, so the frequency would not fluctuate like in the desktop cards. Usually 5700XT runs at about 1.85-1.9 ghz on average while consuming from 140W to 210W just for the GPU alone (maybe with GDDR6, not sure about it).

Because it consumes quite more power than previous devkits so it needs more (reliable) air intake ? It could be 40CUs at 2ghz (Oberon leak) maybe using 7nm only. The 2ghz is most probably locked, so the frequency would not fluctuate like in the desktop cards. Usually 5700XT runs at about 1.85-1.9 ghz on average while consuming from 140W to 210W just for the GPU alone (maybe with GDDR6, not sure about it).

Even so, the PS5 SDK components, wattage and TDP bounds, aren't so alien that a small form factor case (similar to the HTPC type case PS4/Pro are sporting) with proper ventilation and cooling couldn't handle. This particular SDK design could more than likely be testing the thermal-bounds and cooling methods destine for the consumer PS5 (hopefully within a more attractive design).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back