How much will Insomniac's Spider-Man game sell? *spawn

How many lifetime units do you think Insomniac's Spider-Man game will sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
https://www.resetera.com/posts/12877513/

I'm guessing Spider-Man sold more than 5 million copies in two weeks, beating God of War record of a month. Insane numbers...
Yeah, I'm guessing mid to high 5 millions, possibly even ~6M. 3.3M doesn't include bundles, which I'm guessing sold ~500K.

In the UK, Spiderman only dropped 42% in week 2, and only 35% in Japan.

For comparison:
God of War :
  • 3.1m in 3 days
  • 5m in 1 month
Uncharted 4 :
  • 2.7m in 1 week
  • 8.7m in 7-8 months
Horizon Zero Dawn :
  • 2.6m in 2 weeks
  • 3.4m in 2 months
  • 7.6m in 1 year
Batman Arkham Knight
  • 5m in 4 months
The Witcher 3 :
  • 4m in 2 weeks
Halo 5 :
  • 5m in 3 months
Batman Arkham City
  • 2m in 1 week
Really curious to see SM's NPD numbers. It was released fairly early in the month and its week 2 numbers are REALLY good according to Benji at Era. I could see it selling 3M or more in NPD's report.

edit: I'm still not sold on the idea that it will sell 15M+. For that to happen I think it would need bundling. Without bundling, >10M seems like a certainty at this point. If I was able to change my answer, I would say 12-15M without bundling, 15M+ with.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping for a new ratchet game, but chances are it will be a remake of Going Commando, then Up your Arsenal.
I doubt there will be more remakes, the last one served the purpose fine enough so it's a much better proposition for Insomniac to tackle something new. The market wants a more refreshing and unrestricted experience of Ratchet and I think Insomniac would want that too.

I think we will get another R&C game when PS5 arrives. They'll probably want to make another smaller game then to get accustomed to new HW and increased development needs.

Shawn Kayden in PlayStation Blog podcasts told than Spiderman is far ahead of the 3,3 millions of the first day Maybe they will release first month sales.

Speaking of Spider-Man...

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-...nter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/
EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige won’t produce any further Spider-Man films because of an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward. A dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige, and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.

Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat, and I don’t believe they even came back to the table to figure out a compromise. Led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, Sony just simply didn’t want to share its biggest franchise. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement going under the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of 5% of first dollar gross, sources said. Disney refused.

The death of the Spider-Man film franchise, again... Sigh.

Disney was too aggressive, the movie IP is not theirs anymore. Asking for 50% of financing [and presumably 50% of the gross] is insane. Sony earned ~850M from Venom that they have made 100% themselves. And now Disney want ~half from upcoming core $1B Spidey films? Nah.

Nothing last forever, Sony will return to their internal production and who knows, Disney may change their minds down the line.

For context the last Spider-man made 1.1 billion dollars worldwide. Disney clearly want a piece of the pie.

Not if they feel the entire success of the film is from their direct involvement or lending of Marvel characters and events into the SonyVerse for Spider-Man.

For context the last Spider-man made 1.1 billion dollars worldwide. Disney clearly want of that money.

How much did the Spider-Man movies before Disney/Marvel involvement make?

The Amazing Spider-Man earned $262 million in North America and $495.9 million in other countries, for a worldwide total of $757.9 million.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 grossed $202.9 million in the United States and Canada and $506.1 million in other countries for a worldwide gross of $709 million.[4] Deadline Hollywood calculated the net profit of the film to be $70.38 million, when factoring together all expenses and revenues for the film, making it one of the top 20 most profitable releases of 2014.

800M or so...

They can take 50% of 1.1B with major strings attached where they must include all the marvel universe stuff which only serves to upsell disney's other franchises, and their own property cannot exist without the rest of the marvel universe like a poison pill. And they don't produce, it would be controlled by the guy who's job is to make the entire marvel universe tightly connected so you need to see all films to understand WTF is going on.

Or... They can keep 95% of 800M which they continue to control.

As they say in the article, it's not surprising.

Back