The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Hopefully it will open to modding and developer console still available (by plugging KB).

Gonna try dialing up the graphics settings with gpu and cpu OC

CDPR developer interview: proud of their Witcher 3 port
July 10, 2019

https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-unannounced-actors-the-witcher-3-switch/

This "Unless you pointed a lot of changes out to me I probably wouldn’t have noticed them" is bollocks, but I take their point.

They've certainly done a great job getting it working at all on the Switch, but I'm curious if it'll have as much of an impact as when I first played it and felt that next gen was finally here.

For people that only have a Switch, however, it's great that they'll get to play this awesome game. Although I found the American accents quite distracting for a game based on Polish folklore. There are so many English speaking Polish in my country, there must be some here or in Poland that can act!

Although I found the American accents quite distracting for a game based on Polish folklore.

There is a version with American accents? The version sold in the UK has a ton of British regional accents, particularly the west country, Wales and Scotland.

There is a version with American accents? The version sold in the UK has a ton of British regional accents, particularly the west country, Wales and Scotland.

The Witchers all have American accents. You're right that there were a bunch of British accents too.

The American accent is so new that it makes sense in sci-fi, but not fantasy, so I always find the American accent in a medieval fantasy world a bit reminiscent of Eddie Izzard's Robin Hood bit.

The voice actors all did solid jobs, and the British accents weren't as distracting because, if you go to the West Country and speak to a rural local, it kinda feels like that accent hasn't encountered the outside world for centuries. Nonetheless, I would've liked Polish accents. It's nothing major, and W3 is still one of my favourite games ever, just a preference.

I've heard it argued that American is actually closer to an Elizabethan accent than contemporary British. We have no idea what 'British' sounds like before the first recordings. Shakespeare may have debued with a Texas drawl for all we know! Because we are all so well informed of international accents nowadays, it's impossible to disassociate accents from what ideas we have of regions. Dwarves are Scottish, even if real-life dwarves actually have a similar accent - we heard it first from Scotland and now associate that sound with the Scottish.

I always imagine the genuine British accent is more like the mumblers from the movie Snatch are, even though I know 'pikey' is meaning Irish Gypsy I still associate it as the only proper British accent.

I've heard it argued that American is actually closer to an Elizabethan accent than contemporary British. We have no idea what 'British' sounds like before the first recordings. Shakespeare may have debued with a Texas drawl for all we know! Because we are all so well informed of international accents nowadays, it's impossible to disassociate accents from what ideas we have of regions. Dwarves are Scottish, even if real-life dwarves actually have a similar accent - we heard it first from Scotland and now associate that sound with the Scottish.

I've heard the same argument, but I'm not convinced. The large number of Jamaicans in London has resulted in an accent that's sort of a blend of cockney and Jamaican, and it's boomed in its reach over the last few years. That's an example of an accent pretty much developing within my lifetime, so I struggle to imagine that the American accent froze in the Elizabethan era when America was just beginning its centuries long process of bringing people in from all around the world.

Accents are such interesting things, some remain strong (like scouse) whereas some seem to mellow (northern). A lot of it's probably tied to dialects; Yorkshire used to have a very strong regional dialect until relatively recently:

I agree that it's impossible to dissociate accents from our perceptions, and that's exactly why I find a modern American accent distracting in a medieval fantasy setting but befitting sci-fi: the modern American accent is born of centuries of waves of people flooding in from around the world, working and interacting with each other, ensuring that all kinds of cross pollination occurred, including accents.

You can hear the Irish seed of the Boston accent, the West Country seed of some southern accents, the Italian seed of the New York accent. You can hear elements of the many varied souls from the Old World who built America. The Old World, the one which medieval fantasy inhabits. If Geralt talked with an Italian accent, I wouldn't wince, but I can't say the same if he sounded like a New Yorker (although it would be great hearing him call Ciri a jabroni.)

English in a handful of centuries will be to modern English what modern English is to Middle or Old English. And it'll probably be more widely spoken with something that sounds a lot more like an American accent than a British one. Or this:

Edit: and Dwarves are Welsh! :p

I always imagine the genuine British accent is more like the mumblers from the movie Snatch are, even though I know 'pikey' is meaning Irish Gypsy I still associate it as the only proper British accent.
Irish and Scottish accents are pretty cool to me, and fun! English accent, dunno..., imho nobody can speak like Stephen Fry even if people could be born a second time, yet they try. His "The Letter" videoclip is a perfect example of how you can become enamoured with an accent, and being fun at the same time.

A fan has created the "Switcher Dock" inspired on The Witcher 3.

the_witcher_3-4914393.jpg

the_witcher_3-4914397.jpg

I'm at Gamescom and have to say that it looks a bit jarring on the Switch with the visible aliasing. However, it looks better than I expected. Geometry and vegetation were not tuned down as much, although I believe Novigrad was emptier.

Just played Witcher 3 on Switch. There must be some black magic there!!! On the switch screen it looked as good of my PC with high settings, minus AA! And buttery smooth all well. Probably around 50 fps, but clearly above 30. Can't wait for DF to do an analysis!

Just played Witcher 3 on Switch. There must be some black magic there!!! On the switch screen it looked as good of my PC with high settings, minus AA! And buttery smooth all well. Probably around 50 fps, but clearly above 30.
It can't be buttery smooth at 50 fps unless the display can sync to that, as you'll have irregular frame pacing watching 50 fps games on a 60 Hz display.
Can't wait for DF to do an analysis!
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-hands-on-with-the-witcher-3-on-switch

"Performance in handheld mode seems to sit in the 20-30fps range, depending on the complexity of the content. Interestingly, CDPR's supplied dock mode capture is mostly locked at 30fps"

It can't be buttery smooth at 50 fps unless the display can sync to that, as you'll have irregular frame pacing watching 50 fps games on a 60 Hz display.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-hands-on-with-the-witcher-3-on-switch

"Performance in handheld mode seems to sit in the 20-30fps range, depending on the complexity of the content. Interestingly, CDPR's supplied dock mode capture is mostly locked at 30fps"

Yeah, their impressions mirror mine in terms of graphics quality. Honestly my jaw dropped when I tried it. I'm sure it will look messier on a big TV, but on Switch screen is looked really good. Better than Doom or Wolfenstein really!

Yeah, their impressions mirror mine in terms of graphics quality. Honestly my jaw dropped when I tried it. I'm sure it will look messier on a big TV, but on Switch screen is looked really good. Better than Doom or Wolfenstein really!

You got the game? Got into the preview party?

Back