NVidia breaking overclocking on G71 based mobile Quadros

This might be a better thread for a forum like Notebookreview or Laptopvideo2go, but I digress.

I collect Dell Precisions and one of them in my collection is a Precision M90, equipped with the Quadro FX 2500M. When I use Dell's own driver (156.83) with a custom/Juanlu's vBIOS I can overclock my GPU to FX 3500M speeds and beyond, but the second I run DDU and install the latest supported driver for the 2500M it completely locks me out of overclocking.

What gives? Nvidia being Nvidia? Should I just yolo it and flash the 3500M vBIOS to my M90's 2500M and pray it doesn't brick?

Does the 2500M driver inf file have the appropriate "gpu strings" for the 3500M? If not you might have to add the "strings" manually.
Can you also use the 3500M driver with the custom 3500M vBIOS?

While not the same I sometimes modify current Quadro drivers to run with a GTX 1080.

Edit: I'm guessing you've already used NvFlash, but don't forget to make an original vBios copy.

Last edited:
Does the 2500M driver inf file have the appropriate "gpu strings" for the 3500M? If not you might have to add the "strings" manually.
Can you also use the 3500M driver with the custom 3500M vBIOS?

While not the same I sometimes modify current Quadro drivers to run with a GTX 1080.

Edit: I'm guessing you've already used NvFlash, but don't forget to make an original vBios copy.
Huh, I might try that later. I recently ditched Server 2003 for XP Pro because benchmarks run worse on 2k3 for some reason.

Back