Looking for new Adventure game....

Hello all,
I am seeking help trying to find a new game to dive into. I figured here would be a good shot.
Now on to what I am looking for...

Back in my youth, I spent hours with my father playing the early 90's point and click adventure games "Amazon: Gaurdians of Eden" and "Laura Bow: The Dagger of Aman Ra". These games were amazing and developed me to have some of my interests to this day. Trying to find something new in my adulthood, back in the early 2000's I discovered "Flight of the Amazon Queen". Exactly what I was looking for! When I was laid off back in the winter of 2008, my mother stated playing the Nancy Drew video game series, which in my boredom, decided to try and fell in love with (not the same as my first list but similar). I continued with and completed that series while I was deployed in the Navy. I also played all of the Chronicles of Mystery.

My question is, with the description of what I am interested in (specifically the first 2), is there any new games out there that would fit onto my list? I would love to find a game similar to the first 2 that I can sit down with my children and have the experiences that I had. Just a nice point and click adventure game where you got to use your mind to solve problems. Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

Hello all,
I am seeking help trying to find a new game to dive into. I figured here would be a good shot.
Now on to what I am looking for...

Back in my youth, I spent hours with my father playing the early 90's point and click adventure games "Amazon: Gaurdians of Eden" and "Laura Bow: The Dagger of Aman Ra". These games were amazing and developed me to have some of my interests to this day. Trying to find something new in my adulthood, back in the early 2000's I discovered "Flight of the Amazon Queen". Exactly what I was looking for! When I was laid off back in the winter of 2008, my mother stated playing the Nancy Drew video game series, which in my boredom, decided to try and fell in love with (not the same as my first list but similar). I continued with and completed that series while I was deployed in the Navy. I also played all of the Chronicles of Mystery.

My question is, with the description of what I am interested in (specifically the first 2), is there any new games out there that would fit onto my list? I would love to find a game similar to the first 2 that I can sit down with my children and have the experiences that I had. Just a nice point and click adventure game where you got to use your mind to solve problems. Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
You deserve all the love in the world just because you mentioned Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra. :love: Great, great game.

If you like those games, you should try the Monkey Island series. Also, Broken Sword.

The 1920's theme, the characters, and my interest in museums and ancient Egypt kept me glued as a child. My 8 year old self couldn't get enough. I place that second on my all time list just behind Amazon: Gaurdians of Eden. Nothing like an adventure into the Jungles. I seen those game pop up a few times but they never struck me as I NEED THIS NOW! Maybe I should look more into it and give one a shot.

-Davros: Thanks for the link, I will dig around those pages. Any suggestions?

The 1920's theme, the characters, and my interest in museums and ancient Egypt kept me glued as a child. My 8 year old self couldn't get enough.
I played that game when I was older (and that allowed me to understand the adult jokes in the game, which are quite a few!), but I found it charming, nevertheless. I guess you could like the first Tomb Raider games, which have that special adventure/archaeology vibes so few games have achieved so brilliantly.

Nothing like an adventure into the Jungles. I seen those game pop up a few times but they never struck me as I NEED THIS NOW! Maybe I should look more into it and give one a shot.
Broken Sword has some jungle parts, as well. And Monkey Island, well... you know. Oh, I forgot to mention Gabriel Knight. The first one. Voodoo/noir stuff. The game is magical. Also, Beneath a Steel Sky.

Seriously, if you like old point and click adventure games, you MUST give them a try. You won't regret it.

A really cute one that I'm sure children would love as well is The Inner World by Studio Fizbin.

Grim Fandango is a classic masterpiece of the genre if you haven't played it yet. It's also pretty kid friendly, IIRC.

The Syberia series was really well done also. I only played the first and second games which were great. Not sure if the third one in the series is good. Kids may not understand it, but it's a beautiful game.

I've heard Thimbleweed Park is really good and it has a nice pixel art style. I have it, but haven't had the time to play it yet.

The Deponia series has a nice cartoon style which kids would probably enjoy. I had a lot of fun with this one.

There are a lot more good ones out there that I can't remember and haven't been mentioned yet by others as well.

Regards,
SB

I've heard Thimbleweed Park is really good and it has a nice pixel art style. I have it, but haven't had the time to play it yet.

Unfortunately, it was a big disapointment to me. It had weak characters, weak plot, weak art, and weak design/puzzles.

I don't know about this site Moby, but my favorite adventure games are STILL the original Scot Adams ones from back in the late 70s. :)

Spent hours on an Apple IIe playing them, the text only ones. When Temple of Apshai and Ultima came out I was in bloody heaven! :D

I think the last adventure type game like that I played though was Phantasy Star for the old Sega Genesis. Got my sister totally hooked on that game, oh and the Sword of Vermilion!

Happy memories, thank you. Puts being able to fire up GTA V or Rage 2 on my PC and run 'em in to perspective for me a bit as well as takes me back. Games have come a hell of a long way since Pong came out and I have had an absolute blast watching, playing, and just enjoying the growth of the whole thing! From cassette drives and a $100 8kb expension pack for my VIC-20 to this poor Frankensteined baby I've kept going since I built her back in 2000. No worries, if there are any original parts left they're just screws and it's only coincidental. She's my "PC of Theseus". :She's almost 20 years old and I plan to keep her forever. It's sort of fun watching her go from able to play anything to barely able to play anything, then an upgrade later and she can play anything again and one of my kids, wifes, or friends computers get some needed upgrades. (REMEMBER: Caring is sharing, pass down your unused bits! They'll just get old and antiquated on a shelf, trust me!)

You deserve all the love in the world just because you mentioned Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra. :love: Great, great game.

If you like those games, you should try the Monkey Island series. Also, Broken Sword.

I can also vouch for broken sword series!

Sure it can be a drag at times tho

Try Unavowed, it is spectacular and came out last year. It's an adventure game with RPG elements, you get to pick your own party to follow you through the game :).

https://www.gog.com/game/unavowed

that gog page doesnt show the system req :(

need to know whether my intel i5 4210y is strong enough or not (even in SD resolution)

EDIT:
on steam it listed pentium, so i guess my tablet would be good enough.

btw DETROID: Become Human also fall into this "adventure" category?

Last edited:
Back