Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

takedown order from nintendo coming in 5 4 3 2 ...
Not happening. It's been like this for months, with many, many copyrighted stuff. The thing here is that these are just artistic creations, so to speak. The creators don't make any money out of it. It would be like asking people to stop drawing fanart.

Not making money isn't the issue. Make a Mario clone and release it for free, and Nintendo will crush you. You can't rob them of earnings from their IP. If Nintendo feel Mario content is going to impact their brand, they will act. They legally have to, really. Though probably through Sony rather than the law courts. It won't just be Nintendo either. If Dreams becomes effectively a development tool, it'll be held to the same copyright laws as any other dev-tool. You won't be allowed to remake Halo or Sonic in Dreams any more than you would in Unity or Unreal Engine.

Not making money isn't the issue. Make a Mario clone and release it for free, and Nintendo will crush you. You can't rob them of earnings from their IP. If Nintendo feel Mario content is going to impact their brand, they will act. They legally have to, really. Though probably through Sony rather than the law courts. It won't just be Nintendo either. If Dreams becomes effectively a development tool, it'll be held to the same copyright laws as any other dev-tool. You won't be allowed to remake Halo or Sonic in Dreams any more than you would in Unity or Unreal Engine.
Well, yes, it's not just about the developers making money, but I meant these are just meant to be little experiments or just artistic creations rather than full games. There may be a blurred line in some cases, though.

Let's see what happens while we enjoy the ride. :mrgreen:

Not happening. It's been like this for months, with many, many copyrighted stuff. The thing here is that these are just artistic creations, so to speak. The creators don't make any money out of it. It would be like asking people to stop drawing fanart.

There have been take down orders over the years for some free artistic creations that impinge too closely onto or were deemed too harmful for a given IP.

It's fairly rare for a lot of reasons, however. Not the least of which is that often, free artistic creations (versus a game or a game demo) are viewed by the company as free advertising for the game. Also, unless it becomes really popular it may not even reach the notice of their legal department. And then, of course, you have to show in court how it either impinges too closely on an established product/IP or how it can cause material harm to an IP.

That last bit is harder to do with something that is purely art versus something that is a playable game, demo, mod, or level. Hence you see far more takedown requests for the latter.

Regards,
SB

Ball world adventures Part 1 and Part 2 are almost as good as Super Monkey Ball. It's one of the most impressive Dreams creation and one of the rare dream that feels like a real game. You can even reduce the level of details to make it run smoother.

I really like how responsive the whole thing is. Media molecule really learned from the critics of their previous games (sluggish controls in LittleBigPlanet creations).

Part 1 is easier. this is Part 2. I really recommend those 2 dreams. This is what Super Monkey Ball 3 should have being:

I've had an idea for an animation that seems a perfect fit for Dreams. Given the standard controller experience on Dreams is, quite frankly, a bit crap, I bought a PS4 camera and borrowed my friend's barely-used Move controllers. I've just spent about an hour working through the tutorials up to the sculpting, and felt inspired to post here that this modelling mode unique to Dreams is bloody amazing! The way you can take a couple of shapes and soften and blend is a staggering way to sculpt. It makes Z-Brush's surface based manipulation look positively primeval. I still hope there are extrude- and magnet-type options, and would love to see better tool structure so, for example, with the multi-cloning being able to adjust start and end objects and have clones created between, rather than setting up start, creating clones, and adjusting end point in a fixed operation. That's how 3D apps used to be, and they moved a long time ago to parametrised modifiers that could be adjusted at any point. But, even without these intuitive interfaces, after just the first Sculpt tutorial I can see that taking one's time to use the tools available, and thinking differently about how you want to sculpt, it should be quite intuitive to create your vision.

Real3D on Amiga was a CSG modeller, and to use it you would think about every complex shape in terms of boolean operations on cones, cylinders, spheres and hyperbolas. Dreams goes back to that mindset, but with the addition of soft blending can produce some incredible organic results. They are of course attainable without motion controls, if you're an insane masochist. Realistically, anyone wanting to create in Dreams needs the camera and two Moves, which ups the price of entry a lot.

I've had an idea for an animation that seems a perfect fit for Dreams. Given the standard controller experience on Dreams is, quite frankly, a bit crap, I bought a PS4 camera and borrowed my friend's barely-used Move controllers. I've just spent about an hour working through the tutorials up to the sculpting, and felt inspired to post here that this modelling mode unique to Dreams is bloody amazing! The way you can take a couple of shapes and soften and blend is a staggering way to sculpt. It makes Z-Brush's surface based manipulation look positively primeval. I still hope there are extrude- and magnet-type options, and would love to see better tool structure so, for example, with the multi-cloning being able to adjust start and end objects and have clones created between, rather than setting up start, creating clones, and adjusting end point in a fixed operation. That's how 3D apps used to be, and they moved a long time ago to parametrised modifiers that could be adjusted at any point. But, even without these intuitive interfaces, after just the first Sculpt tutorial I can see that taking one's time to use the tools available, and thinking differently about how you want to sculpt, it should be quite intuitive to create your vision.

Real3D on Amiga was a CSG modeller, and to use it you would think about every complex shape in terms of boolean operations on cones, cylinders, spheres and hyperbolas. Dreams goes back to that mindset, but with the addition of soft blending can produce some incredible organic results. They are of course attainable without motion controls, if you're an insane masochist. Realistically, anyone wanting to create in Dreams needs the camera and two Moves, which ups the price of entry a lot.
Yep I have being astounded of what is possible to do with move controllers by experimented users, particularly to sculpt. And that's using controllers designed about 10 years ago. Imagine what will be possible on controllers designed from the ground up for VR. I applaud you for finally trying this.

What they are doing with their IDE using 3D virtual interfaces (and here the PS Move implementation) is what impresses me the most. This is what will be software development in the future, any kind of software. Sure some would say that makes sense when you need to make 3D scenes for a game. But they are applying it to others things like gameplay, animation and logic. All of that in 3D using transparencies, new, old and very simple paradigms (like simple boxes and connectors), all of them perfectly blended in a virtual environment in 3D. They are creating the foundations of software development in virtual 3D environments using traditional 2D screens and then inevitably VR or / and AR devices. Yes, like Move controllers are now mandatory if you want ot have any kind of productivity to sculpt, in the future AR and VR will be mandatory. I mean, we could still code now using only a keyboard and without a mouse ! Well it depends of the IDE we are using.

I believe it because I wrote a paper on that years ago. I wanted to make software in a virtual 3D environment and doing that by physically assembling and connecting 3D (transparent or not) components using UML as a the basic structure to rely on. I was still young and full of dreams back then. :p What I am doing now in Dreams is literally a dream comes true !

Just been looking up facial animation options. Looks crude so far. Came across a lengthy series of someone making an 'Avatar' game in Dreams. Uploading content every day. Doing some great stuff...stopped on day 21.

That is a real concern I have for Dreams. It's scope is larger than anything, but the work needed is more. I don't think people will stick with it en masse. The inexperienced will jump in all excited with the possibilities, try to do something amazing, and then abandon their projects. I doubt a significant percentage will invest the months needed to create the thing Dreams could create. And of those, the majority will probably be valued more as YouTube videos to watch than Dreams to play in game.

The inexperienced will jump in all excited with the possibilities, try to do something amazing, and then abandon their projects

That's me.

To know Dreams better, I was planning to have 3 projects

* 10 seconds beat Saber clone
* short animated movie clip scene
* a level made by mixing my own content and other's

In the end I made nothing. I dropped all of them

Due to
* no easily searchable documentation to read in a glance (everything is in step by step video tutorials)
* it's a pain to do precision stuff (yes it have rulers and grids but it was still cunbersome)
* the whole UX becomes way too confusing (can't search functions / tools, many are hidden so I need to open each of them one by one to find the tool I needed)

In cry engine 3, I can make a level (with trees, rivers, a few buildings) in under half hour. In construct 2, I can make a completely functional game in 5 minutes (due to the the templates).

Dreams feels like it's both too easy and too hard.

Yes it's easy to start, but as soon as I wanna do something with what I started, it becomes complicated very fast.

this was my experience months ago, maybe now Dreams is much better. Dunno, I have very limited internet quota, so I haven't updated it yet

I do agree and have said before that Dreams could do with a mode that is like Minecraft to start with but without taking away all the other options. This should be possible because there are literally already Minecraft clones written in Dreams itself [emoji23]

This would also be a great way to target a demographic that grew up with Minecraft so you know what their base level of knowledge is.

And of course both quick reference guides and full manuals have been created by the community:

It appears that reddit links are mauled by the forum software?

Back