Nintendo Switch Revision (2019) *switched out again* (non-Lite)

And the Nintendo product page they are pulling that information from.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/compare/

Tempting I have to say to upgrade my NSW, but I don't mind carrying around a battery pack.

I find it interesting and encouraging that they actually went for more battery life rather than cutting costs on the battery.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, it would have felt very Nintendo to use the power savings on the SoC to cut the battery size...
It was probably cheaper not too. In terms of weight the Switch is well balanced and the battery sits all on one side so if you significantly reduce the battery size, it's now lighter on one side and feels crap to hold. You could fill that void with material with approximately the same weight density as the battery you removed but not you're making adding to your supply chain and adding a step to manufacturing.

You can bet that they considered it to reduce costs though.. :yes:

To give Ninty some credit, I'd bet they were always a bit dissadisfied with switche's battery life, as penny pinching as they are, and were looking foward to improve it whenever it became economically feasible to them.

To give Ninty some credit, I'd bet they were always a bit dissadisfied with switche's battery life, as penny pinching as they are, and were looking foward to improve it whenever it became economically feasible to them.

Especially compared to the battery life on previous Nintendo handhelds which was close to all day life except in a few edge cases. It's been a downward trend from Nintendo Game & Watch (years/months of battery), GameBoy (days of battery), DS/3DS, most of a day's worth of battery to Switch - a few hours of battery. Their next generation handheld will probably not last an hour. :oops:

I owned a DS and DS lite and I don't think that ever come close to a day's use on a single charge. Maybe with the back light turned all the way down and/or simple 2d games but I think it was more like 5/6 hours?

Personally I'm not to bothered with the Switch's battery life because of the USB-C port. When I go on longer trips I always toss a battery back in my bag anyway for my phone so using that for my Switch if needed really isn't much of a hassle. Of couse longer battery life is always welcome but it is not like the current situation is that bad. It certainly has much improved from the era of having to carry around tons of AA batteries or custom charging ports.

3DS battery life sucked because of the 3D. They gave up on "all day battery" when they launched that platform.

My new3DS goes quite a while on a single charge. I got about 6 hours out of Metroid 2 with 3D enabled and sound coming from the internal speakers. Sure, it's a far cry from something like a Gameboy Pocket which lasted for something like 40 hours on 2 Duracel batteries. But in the age of smartphone gaming, 6 hours is quite alright. I was always a-okay with the 4 hours I got out of my release model PS Vita too. The 2,5 hours you get from an undocked Switch really pushes the limits of acceptibility, though. Pretty much my only gripe with the system. The revised hardware looks rather tempting as a result, but I'm gonna wait fot the inevitable pro model for now.

Also finally took it upon myself to fix my drifting joycons. Bought a two pack of replacement joysticks on amazon for 10 bucks including screwdrivers. Repair of the right joycon went smoothly. Unfortunately I stripped one of the tiny y screws on the left one when I tried to open it, so I had to buy a kit for removing tiny stripped screws as well (which was way more expensive). Didn't really get the screw out this way, but I managed to destroy it to a point where the casing would come open. Rest of the operation went well and I just used a drop of super glue to close the thing. So overall it cost me roughly €30 and 30 minutes of my time to fix the damned things. Considering how they cost between €70 and €80 (not to mention you don't get the Mario Odyssey colored joycons outside of Japan) it was well worth the effort.

I am so glad that those things are almost a thing of the past. Unfortunately they keep popping up here and there (external 3.5" HDDs for example), albeit not as frequently for portable devices.

Regards,
SB

Fortunately 3ds have generic +/- terminal / contact.

I lost my charger and I simply use cut-off USB cable to charge it.

Btw I wonder does the new Nintendo switch will properly support USB C charging protocols?

Currently it's pretty weird with underdrawing currents

Pretty significant upgrade in power consumption by going from the original 20nm design to 16nm FinFet. I knew it was better, but didnt expect that much of a gain. I wish Nintendo would have gone ahead and upgraded the internal memory of the Switch at the same time. 32GB is atrocious, and I have to believe that for an extra $5 per unit, they could have bumped to 128GB or even 256GB. Seems like they would make it all back from consumers being more inclined to purchase games digitally. If you have good high speed internet, archiving games is an easy way around it since re downloading games wont take forever, but if that isnt the case for you, and downloading games can take a dozen hours, then it can really suck.

I am intrigued as to just how far the Tegra X1 can go with dye shrinks. We know that the new Mariko design can max clock at 1.2Ghz. Just how high could they clock things once a move to 7nm is cost effective?

Pretty significant upgrade in power consumption by going from the original 20nm design to 16nm FinFet. I knew it was better, but didnt expect that much of a gain. I wish Nintendo would have gone ahead and upgraded the internal memory of the Switch at the same time. 32GB is atrocious, and I have to believe that for an extra $5 per unit, they could have bumped to 128GB or even 256GB. Seems like they would make it all back from consumers being more inclined to purchase games digitally. If you have good high speed internet, archiving games is an easy way around it since re downloading games wont take forever, but if that isnt the case for you, and downloading games can take a dozen hours, then it can really suck.

I am intrigued as to just how far the Tegra X1 can go with dye shrinks. We know that the new Mariko design can max clock at 1.2Ghz. Just how high could they clock things once a move to 7nm is cost effective?

How do we know it's 16nm FinFet?

You also mention clock speed at 1.2GHz. The current 20nm chip already hits 1.785GHz in BOTW (and other games) during loading screens.

How do we know it's 16nm FinFet?

You also mention clock speed at 1.2GHz. The current 20nm chip already hits 1.785GHz in BOTW (and other games) during loading screens.

I am referencing the Digital Foundry video, and I was talking about GPU clock speeds not CPU. The 1.785Ghz CPU clock speed is only used as a boost mode for loading screens.

Operating voltages are indeed reduced, and while CPU and GPU frequencies supported by t210 are retained, faster clocks are also available. The GPU limit of the Tegra X1 - specced at 1GHz but with a max 921MHz on Switch - is increased to 1.267GHz on the new processor.

Back