AMD Navi Product Reviews and Previews: (5500, 5600 XT, 5700, 5700 XT)

Damn. Expected this, but not that bad. :(
I'll get me V56 for no money and skip this one. Was hoping next gen would be on par with Fury, but maybe not quite...
Side bar question; what are your needs for the compute heavy on GPU?

While these cards aren't for me, I have to say I'm both surprised and encouraged that AMD has basically matched Turing in perf/watt. And exceeded them in perf/mm^2. However, it's not all rosy as they are still at a feature deficit (RT while questionable in value right now is a glaring omission, for example).

They still aren't competing at the highest enthusiast level, but at least they offer viable competition now, enough that NV were forced to offer better value propositions on the lower end of their product stack.

Regards,
SB

Well, the more data points with different configs of GCN through the ages, the better. Too bad there is no 32CU Navi at the moment.

Thanks for the link.

From German Tom's,

If you give the little monkey really sugar, then it is even close to the 2.1 GHz mark and in places even more! Of course, then, what flows through the veins, no more blood stream, but high-energy electricity needed life juice. But it works. Easier and more stable than the Radeon VII has ever done. At about 2.1 GHz, there seems to be a kind of physical barrier, but what the hell. Exactly there will be a follow-up as article and video.

https://www.tomshw.de/2019/07/07/am...n-vega-und-fast-2-1-ghz-takt-unter-wasser/12/

:D

A question for those who have actually had the time to read more than the last page of a couple of random reviews, if I may:

What's the TL,DR?

Navi 10 looks solid on price/perf/efficiency for gaming workloads, reference cards and drivers leave something to be desired?

What I ask my self. Now primitive shaders are on, but like CarstenS stated Culling is behind NVIDIA.

If you look at Vega white paper with 17 prim/clk it should be much faster like NVIDIA. So primitive shaders need api support again?

A question for those who have actually had the time to read more than the last page of a couple of random reviews, if I may:

What's the TL,DR?

Navi 10 looks solid on price/perf/efficiency for gaming workloads, reference cards and drivers leave something to be desired?

Basically at the given price points unless you need or want RT, Navi offers arguably better value than NV cards currently.

If price doesn't matter then obviously the top of the NV product stack has no competition.

Regards,
SB

Side bar question; what are your needs for the compute heavy on GPU?
The realtime GI system i'm working on. Somehow i can't imagine Navi or Turing beating GCN performance for me. So i want Vega, and the current offers are too good, and Stadia uses it...

It's hard to say how those newer architectures really perform by looking at benchmarks. For instance in VRay Navi is faster than any Vega (https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-5700-and-5700-xt-review,27.html):
index.php

Still unsure, but all my GPUs died in one week recently - only 5950 left which sometimes turns off. I should get another GCN while they are still available. Can't imagine life without GCN, hahaha :)

The realtime GI system i'm working on. Somehow i can't imagine Navi or Turing beating GCN performance for me. So i want Vega, and the current offers are too good, and Stadia uses it...

It's hard to say how those newer architectures really perform by looking at benchmarks. For instance in VRay Navi is faster than any Vega (https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-5700-and-5700-xt-review,27.html):
index.php

Still unsure, but all my GPUs died in one week recently - only 5950 left which sometimes turns off. I should get another GCN while they are still available. Can't imagine life without GCN, hahaha :)
PSA: V-Ray GPU is EOL. It has been replaced by V-Ray Next GPU (benchmark here) which is unsurprisingly CUDA only because $$$ (VRay GPU's OpenCL path was 6 years too late and totally useless with literally no development effort put into it after the initial release)

Basically at the given price points unless you need or want RT, Navi offers arguably better value than NV cards currently.

If price doesn't matter then obviously the top of the NV product stack has no competition.

Regards,
SB

When an increasing number of the big late 2019/2020 releases feature RT, and even next gen consoles support RT, I find it hard to justify Navi when next year AMD will have a solution for it in the PC space as well.

Granted these early forms of RT support will probably be easily usurped by upcoming implementations, but with these cards you don’t even have a choice. It feels like buying old technology, except it’s just released.

Everything else about Navi is great. Although Nvidia have yet to cash in on the benefits of 7nm. So I expect they will remain top for a fair while.

the card is artificially locked for overclocking. ....LoL Temperature over 90°C. "Great" blower, very "quiet"

While these cards aren't for me, I have to say I'm both surprised and encouraged that AMD has basically matched Turing in perf/watt. And exceeded them in perf/mm^2. However, it's not all rosy as they are still at a feature deficit (RT while questionable in value right now is a glaring omission, for example).

They still aren't competing at the highest enthusiast level, but at least they offer viable competition now, enough that NV were forced to offer better value propositions on the lower end of their product stack.

Regards,
SB
They still need another 25% in perf/watt to nulify the node difference.

While these cards aren't for me, I have to say I'm both surprised and encouraged that AMD has basically matched Turing in perf/watt. And exceeded them in perf/mm^2.
No. 7nm vs 12nm / 16nm and lacking some important features (RT, mesh shaders, virtualink...)
It shows badly how this first RDNA generation is late or - what I believe - maybe they had to wait for 7nm to show up and not being ridiculous again in perf/watt

At least, we finally have competition back in mid range GPU, which is good for us, customers

They still need another 25% in perf/watt to nulify the node difference.
Trick question: Which card needs another 25% in perf/watt to nullify the node difference?
They are made on the same node, after all, but their performance/W is a fair distance apart.

Yes their cards are still not as power efficient (roughly same power but 7nm vs 12nm). But they are now about as much Tflops efficient and I think that's impressive.

As much as I'm happy to see AMD has cards than can compete on price/perf again, I do wonder why you would buy a 5700/5700XT for two reasons.

1. the blower cooler. I understand there will be no custom cards anytime soon?
2. No raytracing. It will be in consoles next year. It will be in navi cards next year. It already is on Nvidia cards. Essentially you're buying a card that doesn't perform much different, nor is a lot cheaper than the competion but does lack features you know will be used by many games come next year. I assume that price/perf is very important in the mid end market so why wouldn't you pay a couple of bucks more for a 2060 super knowing you can play with all bells and whistles turned on for the next couple of years?

Back