Movie Reviews 2.0

Why would that be wrong? Is there some stereotype involving swimming?

I don't think the "issue" is a black mermaid, per se.

BTW, it was so cool to see black mermaids in Siren!
what is the issue then? if the issue is that they are remaking the film, sure, they don't need to remake everything, but since they are remaking it, there's no problem at all that the little mermaid is black

After all, it's not like she would be a US President.

I'm reading some comments, reactions, etc., and I think it's wrong to state that any critical opinion is just racist, which is not true. Some comments are disgustingly racist, yes, while some other opinions are there just because you expect certain things in a remake, like the original looks of the characters, which I can understand. It's not an issue because white people think they are superior to black people, a similar outrage could happen if Cinderella had black hair or if Jasmine were Scandinavian white or if one day they do another remake and Tiana is white (some black people would make racist comments against white people, but most comments wouldn't be racist, don't you think?).

Similar reactions happen when we see this actor/actress playing a role and we think it's not the appropriate person because potato (look at the backlash Cavill received for his role as Geralt and so many other examples...). Most people trying to make this thing about racism is tiresome.

I still think that we need more diversity in fiction, specially in movies/shows for kids, but I also can understand when the looks of an iconic cartoon character drastically change in a remake, some people are going to be disappointed.

EDIT: I just remembered another recent example, Sonic, lol.

Last edited:
The new Pet Semetary.
:neutral:
Not good, not terrible but an excellent example of a pointless remake of an '80s classic.

It brings nothing really new to the table except switching Victor to a token black guy, switches the kid that dies which then causes a less creepy/satisfactory ending.
Most of the '80s gore/effects were better & as much as I like him John Lithgow can't hope to bring the kind of slightly-off/gravitas that the original Judd had in droves.

Yesterday
The film about only 1 guy remembering the beatles
It's a pleasant film thats about all I can say about it.

Christine.
A great masterpiece of creating suspense/horror without a horrible monster or massive gore.

A movie I wish more recent film-makers would learn from.
The ppl who made Chernobyl used a bunch of the same techniques & I think thats a big part of why its so good.

any good?
the netflix show and the movie
I don't know, I haven't watched them. :-/

Christine.
A great masterpiece of creating suspense/horror without a horrible monster or massive gore.

A movie I wish more recent film-makers would learn from.
The ppl who made Chernobyl used a bunch of the same techniques & I think thats a big part of why its so good.
A few days ago I watched Psycho for the first time. I knew it's a classic, but I honestly didn't know if it was any good or whatever. Truth is I really liked the movie and it didn't feel that old, to me.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will watch that movie soon.

Ah 2001: My school physics teacher told the class 'if its ever on in a theatre to go watch it on LSD' :oops:
The only time I caught it on in a theatre: no LSD and I fell asleep :oops:

But I love that damn movie.
The thing that exploded my mind when I learned it: they made that before the first people even flew round the moon.

Hellboy (2019) - some decent effects and makeup and a lot more gory than I remember the original being. Otherwise it's a very poor adaptation that was quite boring.

The only part I actually enjoyed was the brief attack of the giant monsters from hell which were great designs and a very violent scene. That was all of a minute or so though.

Back