What am I looking for? I have an SAS HDD with no SATA support...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
..and it's just sitting here and I blew past the return date. What kind of I/O card can I get cheap to add it to my system?

It's a native SAS HDD, I picked up a SAS to SATA connector but I need some way for the computer to recognize it as the HDD has no SATA support. I know they make SATA add-in cards, but how do i know if they'll support an SAS drive with SATA adapter or should I just get an SAS port card?

Heck, what am I looking for to make this work? I'd really love to get it for cheaper, and I'd prefer SATA because I've already got all my SATA spots on my current mobo full.

Help? This is a new one to me.

Last edited:
Surely the adapter should make the drive appear as sata ?
are you missing a driver?
Can I just fix this with a software solution? I've never dealt with this before.

I know some SAS drives support SATA, but they have a special SATA marking on them that mine most definitely does NOT have and says SAS where it should have the SATA thing.

I've never played with SAS or SCSI in my life Dav, so I'm a newbie all over again and it's sort of fun and sort of aggravating but it's a very familiar feeling. LOL

Dont go chasing bad money with good money. Write if off as loss.

Unless you can find a cable or card that will make it work for under $20, it's not worth anything more.

Back