Global warming

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 heat wave is terrible =(

Was it due to the lack of air conditioning that caused it to be so widespread?
The wiki article spells it out but yeah that and unfamiliarity with such hot weather so they didn't hydrate because they were so exhausted physically and/or mentally.

AFAIK all ambulances in Paris were busy. That's insane, it totally blew up all the contingencies so if anything else serious happened it would have been an even bigger catastrophe.

Last edited:
Yes, but you can sweat in Abu Dhabi even if it is a scorcher.
I was in uae a couple of years ago in summer, hottest i’ld ever been in my life, 47 degrees and surprisingly humid about 70% I was expect desert like dry heat but no it was humid. Horrible do not go there in summer, very cheap booze though . Not the worse I have experienced, that was Malaysia Taman negara rain forest. 38 degrees, but so so humid, sweat was pouring off me without moving, humidity was nearly 90% iirc

I was in uae a couple of years ago in summer, hottest i’ld ever been in 47 and surprisingly humid about 70% I was expect desert like no humidity. Horrible do not go there in summer. Not the worse I have experienced, that was Malaysia Taman negara rain forest
I stay away from all hot and humid places. I live north of the polar circle :D

I suspect if North America was getting it as bad as EU and Asia, we'd be singing a different tune here. But we're not. I heard UAE hit 56.C under the shade. Which is mental because the body is dying above 40.C; and my water tank heater is set to heat water to 50.C
Nah. The misinformation campaign is well-funded and strong.

There have been more than enough dramatic impacts on the lives of people within the US that enough people should be convinced by now. Increases in storms, droughts, and severe hurricanes are readily apparent. So is sea level rise in a number of coastal communities.

But this campaign depends upon the Republican party. And the Republican party's hold on power in the US is tenuous. If that slips, we'll have a real chance of some significant action.

There have been more than enough dramatic impacts on the lives of people within the US that enough people should be convinced by now. Increases in storms, droughts, and severe hurricanes are readily apparent. So is sea level rise in a number of coastal communities.

But this campaign depends upon the Republican party. And the Republican party's hold on power in the US is tenuous. If that slips, we'll have a real chance of some significant action.
Yea that’s true. Children here don’t really know what snow was like. WInter here used to have snow end of October and never left the ground until April. Snow piles as high as cars was the norm. Now. We have green winters all the time, barely enough snow before the pile melts the next day.

Little Ice age looks cute in pictures too ... it's even mostly back to being a global phenomenon, the beautiful hockeystick will never be the same again.

It's not just misinformation, it's active and malignant idiocy:

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/21/18700741/oregon-republican-walkout-climate-change-bill

Twelve Oregon Republican lawmakers are on the run from the law, having fled the state Senate in Salem on Thursday to deny quorum for a vote on a major climate change bill. The legislation would establish a statewide cap-and-trade scheme for carbon dioxide.

This is from the self-proclaimed "rule of law" party.

Last edited:
Civil disobedience, including quorum busting, is a bipartisan tradition ... just a question of how strong you believe in something.

Cap and trade is generally a huge clusterfuck of costly red tape, job destruction and unintended consequences. Not the pettiest of reasons to do it for.

got tired of the other thread so you bumped this old one? bunch of horseshit.

Ill post the thought experiment i left in that one that went ignored.

say someone was to ask how much you were going to grow in height over the next 10 years. You decide to measure yourself every day of the year and publish the data along with any predictions or projections. so for several years you grow 0" and project a increase of 0" over the next 10 years.

then one day you decide, oh all those measurements were wrong, and change them so that you were shorter in your earlier measurements, and taller in your current measurements, and then publish a projection that you will double in height in the next 10 years.

wouldn't that be fraudulent and idiotic?

climate change is the same thing, absolute garbage science.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back