Please throw all your ideas here: my tablet is broken

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Symptoms:
  • Internal LCD shows blank, only displaying image for less than a sec every few minutes
  • It still can read touches just fine
  • External display will show blank for less than a second every few minutes (the exact opposite behavior of the internal LCD)

the same behavior happens in UEFI. So I don't think it's a software problem.

Currently I unplugged it from mains, and the battery. Hopefully tomorrow morning it will magically be fixed. I'll also try to replace the LCD with an old, broken one (cracked, but it was working fine).

If you have any ideas how to fix it, or troubleshoot it, please throw it here.

Sony vaio tap 11 tablet is my main computing device for the last 5 or 6 years.

Thank you

Last edited:
Samsung Tab S5E as a replacement.

No idea on repairing old tablets.

Hmm, I wonder,
Does android nowadays can replace windows?

My use case for my tablet that I'm not sure available on android are:

• Video editing (multi layers, chroma keying, transition, audio cleaning and balancing, BGM and SFX)
  • Photo editing
  • Mapping (huge data on Google earth, doing some map data conversion, aerial/satellite imagery stitching )
  • 3d modeling (quick mockup on sketch up)

Btw I was surprised to found that Google gimped their own apps on android.

I was asked to translate a research paper summary (6 pages or so) and there are tons of features that are missing in Google Docs on android.

Fortunately, the Web version still can be accessed, with full feature, by opening Google docs on chrome "desktop mode"

Oh, so this is a PC style Tablet. In my morning rush I thought it was some Android tablet.

As to your use cases, I dont believe Android will be suitable for your use cases. At least I'm not familar with software for that. Sorry.

Oh, so this is a PC style Tablet. In my morning rush I thought it was some Android tablet.

As to your use cases, I dont believe Android will be suitable for your use cases. At least I'm not familar with software for that. Sorry.

:(

In the mean time I'll install some stuff on Ubuntu switch. Too bad it's too slow for video editing.

Btw turns out Google Earth is in android! But it's gimped....

Ugh why Google keeps gimping their own stuff

What's the brand/make of the tablet? Did I miss that?

It's sony vaio tap 11. Sorry, forgot to mention it in the OP.

Could just be the thin and fragile LCD cable that needs to be replaced.

Hopefully that's it.

Hope it is just a bad ribbon cable, I hate working on all those tiny things! My fingers are too fat and I ain't got surgery steady hands anymore so it's just a pain in the butt to do everything on the little stuff for me now. :(

Hope it is just a bad ribbon cable, I hate working on all those tiny things! My fingers are too fat and I ain't got surgery steady hands anymore so it's just a pain in the butt to do everything on the little stuff for me now. :(
:( :( :( not ribbon cable fault. I even tried it with another LCD with different ribbon cable, still no dice.

I also found that the internal Wireless Keyboard also disappear from Device Manager. I guess the motherboard got some blown resistor or something :(

Found a workaround!

I'll use Ubuntu on switch, and remote desktop to my Windows computer on another island haha

Last edited:
Back