Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.... "There is absolutely no way these new consoles will feature anything north of 56CUs".... as someone else stated 18*3=54 CUs is the right number as it allow to be quite wide but also BC with both ps4 and ps4-pro.... (and maybe even possibly allow a PRO turbo mode)...

about RDNA1 vs RDNA2... I think BC with RDNA1 much easier... Also possible to release earlier. If something we know for sure its into PS5 is lacking RDNA1 of course will have the RDNA2 at the end 2020....

RTX is backwards compatible........I believe Sony ordered a hybrid gpu from AMD based on current Navi and future Navi tech to ready for late next year. What that is (other than ray tracing) who knows for sure.

MS said that new xbox will be 4 times as powerful as last gen, how that four times was measured is anyone’s guess. I do understand the math between Navi and last gen, and how not all TF are created equal, and how it fits in with current power bracket and cost, but so many variables make the waters muddy. I think after stadia release we are going to get more info. Don’t think for a second ms and Sony are not taking google seriously as a threat to their bottom line if not their business.

If they dont take Google seriuosly they are crazy... Google looks very committed and may open with EU a concurrence case of dominant position and hidden cartel against Sony & Ms forcing them to open their platform to concurrent online services... MS was forced to let other browser than IE to be installed in Windows... Google itself got a penalty for Android & another for the search engine. So nothing new and strange. And Google knows.... Also Ms knows....

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/elojade/isef/case_details.cfm?proc_code=1_40099

Last edited:
Please refrain from speculation about supposed EU involvement until you've some evidence of it. You've made your point, repeatedly. It doesn't belong in this thread discussing hardware but in its own discussion.

As to Google being committed, Google have been 'committed' to many, many ideas, and then pulled the plug after ploughing in crazy amounts of money. Because they have crazy amounts of money and nothing better to do with it. Now I don't doubt that Google are serious for the long-term here as gaming is eternal and highly lucrative, but looking at actual evidence, there's nothing about Google's activities in past fields that suggests they are a particularly serious threat. I believe they areas they really compete are the ones where they bought a leading player, such as YouTube. Looking at the evidence, the world has had access to game steaming for some years now and it's failed to take off. Going from that to tens of millions of people steaming games is quite the leap of faith. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but it's unrealistic to expect it to happen, especially in the short term of the next generation of consoles.

Fuel for more baseless speculations

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14543/nvme-14-specification-published

Last year Microsoft formed Project Denali to explore what is the best balance between the low-level control afforded by open channel SSDs and the easy to use abstraction of traditional block storage, with the ultimate goal of producing new standards that can be more broadly adopted than existing open channel efforts and that will be better than anyother's and not available to Sony. <--made up edited crap
The real quote without the made up last sentence (why post made up shit?) .
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14543/nvme-14-specification-published/2

Last year Microsoft formed Project Denali to explore what is the best balance between the low-level control afforded by open channel SSDs and the easy to use abstraction of traditional block storage, with the ultimate goal of producing new standards that can be more broadly adopted than existing open channel efforts. <-- no fake Sony idiotic shit

Last edited:

"In Project Denali, Microsoft is proposing that the interface could be split up, so that there is one standardized part dealing with plain storage, and another dealing with issues like bad blocks which are specific to the particular product."(Description from here: https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/...oft-speeds-up-cloud-ssds-with-project-denali/ )

Project Denali is aimed at datacenters, but could a split like that or something similar be what they were talking about in the Project Scarlett video with the talk of using part of the SSD as virtual ram? Or were they really just talking about Virtual Memory like it works in Windows?

[...] that is designed for 7nm+ process, that probably is more suitable for getting higher clocks.[...]

It could actually be worse clock wise according to AMDs Forrest Norrod. What he said 3 months ago was mostly about datacenter CPUs but who knows it might affect GPUs as well (even though they clock lower).

Should the timestamp not work it starts at 8:28.

Ok ok you can follow a link, read, but can't understand a joke, I'll take it in consideration in the future, but now stop it.

In Desember 2019 it's the 25th anniversary of the PlayStaion family. I think Sony will celebrate this with more PS5 info, maybe even show the console design, introduce coming games and release date.
25Tf - 1 teraflop for each year of PlayStation CONFIRMED. :nope:

If that was true i can see one going discrete.
No need for going discrete in this case. There have been 400mm2+ die sizes before, its just that each new node brings harder and harder gains with bigger costs per mm2.

In any case, 390mm2 die size might be MS going for bigger die and lower clocks, so you could still have PS5 with 40CUs (36 active) and 8.3TF and Scarlett with 52CUs (48 active) @1500 and 9.5TF.

Chip would have more performance, but also quite a bit bigger die and price. In this case, I think Sony would be able to undercut MS if they want to.

It's from the legendary pastebin, a reliable news source with an impeccable history of editorial oversight.

I'm 100% convinced!

It's from the legendary pastebin, a reliable news source with an impeccable history of editorial oversight.

I'm 100% convinced!
Scarlett die size is not from Pastebin, its from measuring chip shown in reveal video.

As far as PS5 goes, I don't have idea how big the chip is but I would take Gonzalo leak ahead of every single one of jurnos or Reddit rumored specs, so 1.8GHz boost, therefore not much chance for chip to be bigger then desktop 5700XT (given we know desktop part TDP and die size).

Pastebin was IMO just smart fake, where they took Gonzalo leak into account and Reddit leak from month ago that said SOC size is 22.4x14mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back