Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

Hey it works with cable TV. Nobody wants to pay hundreds or thousands for a new DVR and setup on their own when they can pay the cable company $20 a month to use their crappier DVR.
Right now IQ and framerate(in general) should be better on Stadia until xcloud Scarlett comes out. So I guess they have until then to sell it on not having to pay $4-500 for next gen console.

Forgetting about 1P games, they didn't show a lot of multiplats, could've even had said over x amount of games at launch or in first year.

In isolation I don't find the cost too bad at all. Just not sure how it holds up as a whole when compared to other services and devices.

In my opinion Google has come with the best possible model and deal for remote play, it will come down to market acceptance.
THey have a decent library for a launching system and a couple nice AAA title at launch.
The investment required to try their offer is pretty 000€ . They have to offer free trial and deals regularly, advertizing on youtube should cost them nothing.

I don't expect them them to have that much success (at least at first) with the enthusiasts that have crazy PC or that updated mid-gen on products with a couples years of lifespam (they are the type that will buy proper next-gen at launch). For the others it is a different matter. THey could easily get in gamers that passed on a gen of console or let their PC get obsolete, casuals, etc;

If the service pickups, things could get interesting. They are unlkely to ever have the best graphcs BUT thanks to the nature of their services they can offer interesting displayng options in online only games.
I hope they allow games that allow local coop to be play on different instances: for example I buy sonic racing whatever but instead of playing split screen my wife and I can play (together) on our respective display (/laptops).

Quite interested I've to say I launches soon but I won't buy anything till the optical fiber makes it inot my building... (it is already deployed in the erea bt their are issue with my home owners association). I've the bandwidth for 1080p but it would suck all the house bandwidth and the ping is not great.
I whish they offered a 720P option (plenty of talblets, laptop and phones still runs that resolution).

Last edited:
...advertizing on youtube should cost them nothing.
Slight correction to the notion that in-house costs are a zero sum. Google using YT advertising minutes to advertise Stadia is time not spent showing paid adverts, which means that lost revenue. We have the same notions of Sony using in-house components, say. eg. Let's say Sony uses Sony imaging sensors in PSVR2. Sony not having to buy those sensors from outside doesn't mean they get them free, as not only do they have the costs of building the things, but also the lost revenue of selling those components to someone else. It's only when you have spare, unused capacity that you can direct towards a new revenue generator that you get to use it 'for free'.

Actually I just visit stadia.google.com to find out that they are offering 720p as an option. When it launches I may subscribe for a coupe months.

My alienware is getting old. I could update the CPU at a fair price and somehow extend its lifespam but with the consoles mid gen update and next-gen launching soon I noticed a sort of generational jump in quality in the late games releases.

I don't want to "loose" my steam an I do not want to pocket 600/700 Euros for a new PC eventhough it would be a hell of upgrade looking at AMD upcoming products.
If they have a good games catalog refreshed regularly, 10 euros a month sound like a fair deal.

If revolutionary AMD-GPU-TECH is just around the corner why did not Google wait to start with Stadia till it was ready ? Very odd choice to start with an underperforming tech.... So I suppose differences between NAVI10 and NAVI20 are not so big in performance terms... Maybe just a 10 per cent ? More is given by the 7nm+ process probably... That also may be a much more expensive process too... That gives maybe another 20 per cent advantage in performance with pair power dissipation... If that was Google's tought that also maybe Sony's too ... Don't belive AMD gives to Google a poorer choice.. but just a different one... So I belive Sony may follow soon after Stadia if same strategy has been choosen... Max April 2020. MS releasing after will have then a 30 per cent advantage over Stadia... Aka 14 TF...
But costs ?!?

Last edited:
Stadia is a different beast. It's something in a datacenter somewhere. Vega being good at compute&such, I'm sure they won't be idle even if not used by a Stadia "instance".

Well power consumption maybe even a greater concern then .. so that adds to my conclusions....

If revolutionary AMD-GPU-TECH is just around the corner why did not Google wait to start with Stadia till it was ready ? Very odd choice to start with an underperforming tech....

There is always better tech around the corner but waiting and waiting and waiting gives your competition more time to become entrenched making your market disruption that much harder.

Ok... But Google is just entering the market. Really silly to invest in outdated tech in a startup enterprise. Don't you think ? The true story is mine ?!? Something in between ?!? Only time will tell

Ok... But Google is just entering the market. Really silly to invest in outdated tech in a startup enterprise. Don't you think ?
It's bringing out a cloud streaming service at least a minimum of a year prior to MS. Not including xcloud 1.0 which is 1S based (ie jaguar & Polaris based)

So I don't think it's silly at all, if they went with navi, when would they have been able to deploy?

Yes Jay. Also Sony may want to release one Full Year before MS this gen... I know what they told. But that can also be a distracting move and mid September maybe they say PS5 is coming at 2019 Holiday... Surprise !!!

Sony aren't allowed to lie to their investors. They aren't going to tell their investors 'no PS5 this year' and then surprise everyone. Big business doesn't work that way. Heck, no-one works that way! No-one says a product is due at a future date knowing they're going to release it 6+ months than announced.

Ha ha ha... No one works that way ?!? Well I've seen such things in financial world... But much much much worst... things ruining a lot of people. In this case would be in the precise investors interest. They may just say we anticipate because we worked better....

Ok... But Google is just entering the market. Really silly to invest in outdated tech in a startup enterprise. Don't you think ? The true story is mine ?!? Something in between ?!? Only time will tell

Right now, Google Stadia looks better because the service is competing with PS4/XBO predominantly (PS4-P and XBO-X are just a fraction of the overall console landscape).

If they launched next year, they'd look MUCH worse even with better datacenter hardware because they'd be competing against PS5/Project Scarlett.

Basically launching this year is them trying to carve out a user base that they hope will survive the launch of the next gen consoles. It's basically their only chance. If they launched next year with better data center hardware, then they'd have almost no hope for success. Even launching this year, their chances are pretty slim, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Ha ha ha... No one works that way ?!?
Name one product that was announced as releasing at a given date, and then released significantly earlier. Preferably a hugely popular, highly anticipated product that requires complex prearranged manufacturing partnerships and contracts, but I'll settle for a tin whistle or a new flavour of gum if just to prove the theoretical possibility that Sony are deliberately lying about their release strategy in a way they have never done before.

Basically launching this year is them trying to carve out a user base that they hope will survive the launch of the next gen consoles. It's basically their only chance. If they launched next year with better data center hardware, then they'd have almost no hope for success. Even launching this year, their chances are pretty slim, IMO

ok, this may be true... But Google is Big & Rich... They may keep investing till success.... Also they may leverage laws for concurrence protection and force other platforms to host the service... Will see.

but I'll settle for a tin whistle or a new flavour of gum if just to prove the theoretical possibility that Sony are deliberately lying about their release strategy in a way they have never done before.

not deliberately lying...
but lets say: giving not clear, a bit misleading clues about releasing strategy... also not partecipating at E3 may been read as "we are not ready to show something next gen".... but I can read it as "well keep the big surprise for our own show".... anyway its just a matter to understand if Sony choosed Navi10 as Google (and in this case a 2019 release or early 2020 may be possible)... or is waiting for Navi20 like MS.... Rumors of PS5 devkits around are old.... And you know better than me that Sony is not as flexible as MS on the OS front in term of HW in terms of BC.... And you may consider also new games that are almost next gen as BDL3 needs to BC and cross platform playable....

http://www.redgamingtech.com/develo...ystation-5-development-kits-ps5-rumors-begin/

Also the Stadia remote Console (that I suppose share with PS5 many aspects) is going to be playable with many new games .... for instance BDL3 that is going be released half september... Same time as I suppose PS5 could be presented... the Stadia's 10.7 TF GPU can be fully used early ... and Stadia is going to be the place where such games are played cheaply and better (for people with the fast connection). That means this games have been developed cross gen (on NAVI10 or VEGA PS5 kits maybe) so able to fully utilize the new gen (as will do on Stadia)... We knows that what rules is not power but diffusion... Stadia may be cheap and reliable as much as a 500 dollars console looks crazy to be bought.... So it is important for traditional consoles producer to release ASAP next gen, be as cheap as possible and also leverage existing installed base as much is possible....

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, this may be true... But Google is Big & Rich... They may keep investing till success.... Also they may leverage laws for concurrence protection and force other platforms to host the service... Will see.
Except Google has a big track record of investing until failure and dropping the product.

Reactions: JPT
Ok... But Google is just entering the market. Really silly to invest in outdated tech in a startup enterprise. Don't you think ?
You can bet Google have picked their hardware wisely, i.e. it's easily repurposed for other business needs if this streaming stuff doesn't pan out.

Back