Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much are they willing to spend on cooling?
Not sure TBO, I think it would be worth the investment as I’m sure we all know heat is one of the biggest hurdles they face in a closed system box. Look at the mobile phone market because they’re doing it already and surely consoles will follow suite.

I think both MS and Sony have a goal of 10TF+ and will do whatever they can within "reasonable" costs to reach that goal.I even believe they can do a butterfly design ala PS4 Pro with lower performance parts. The marketing power in 2 digit TF number can't be missed. Doing 8TF in 2020 just don't add up for me, that's only 30% increase in 3 years from ONE X. I do not believe in 12TF+. If that happpens I will be surpriced and happy.

Looking at what's being shown with Navi (perf/watt), I would be very surprised to see a more 10tf machine next-gen. 8tf+ looks more and more likely and for sure don't expect 4k native machine with that.
5700 saves 45W TBP by lowering the clock 125MHz and turning off 4CU. They could clearly up the CU count and lower the clock to hit 10TF without going too much higher in power, if not even using less.

Look at the TBP drops for Polaris going from 590 to 570. They drop 75W lowering the clock 300MHz, disabling 10% CU, and lowering mem speed 12%. And this is even with 590 having 12nm process advantage.

X1X had 570 clocks yet hit 6TF because they used more CUs. They drew 175W at the wall (less than 580 TBP), despite also powering CPU, OD, HDD, WiFi and other I/O.

The limiting factor is of course die size. These new RDNA CUs are not small, but the render of the Scarlett SoC seems to be even bigger than the Scorpio SoC according to various estimates. One potential spoiler here is that Samsung 7nm is an option. It has very similar density to TSMC 7nm and lower wafer cost.

Last edited:
Mark Cerny isn't resident at Sony. ;) It's kinda curious that he's leading their project while being independent. More-so his work on PS5; it's understandable he was recommissioned to head PS5. But he was also lead on Vita. I wonder why he doesn't have an official position at Sony?

To me it speaks to the respect they have for Cerny and his ability to do his job.

TF's are not everything... If you have "just" 8-10tf, but with less bandwitdh bottleneck, less streaming issue due to slow hdd, a lot less cpu limitations,etc, you can get a big jump in "real" performances.

Doing 8TF in 2020 just don't add up for me, that's only 30% increase in 3 years from ONE X. I do not believe in 12TF+. If that happpens I will be surpriced and happy.
Perhaps the issue isn’t next gen being underpowered. It’s X1X that is out of power bracket because of it arriving so late.

Perhaps the issue isn’t next gen being underpowered. It’s X1X that is out of power bracket because of it arriving so late.
Yes the "mid life updates" of these consoles has made things a bit more complex, but even a 50 % increase in 4 years from Pro seems to little, for me at least. I know TF isn't everything, but it seems that the industry is using this metric to show off their hardware. Even Google had one slide with TF values with Stadia in the middle and Pro and One X on the sides. If they go below 10TF i will go 6 feet under....Come on devs leak those numbers, I am being killed slowly...lol

Yes the "mid life updates" of these consoles has made things a bit more complex...
Yeah. Bit of a mid-life crisis.
Even Google had one slide with TF values with Stadia in the middle and Pro and One X on the sides.
That was a slide for developers, not the public. At the Game Developer's Conference. One of the problems with the modern connected era is everyone thinks all info is intended for them. If you are creating a new platform and need to tell developers what power level they can target, you need to give them ballpark metrics, which is what Google did. They did not use GDC as an opportunity to pop a public snook at Sony and MS, and I'd be a bit surprised if when Stadia is publicly advertised, this TF figure is used.

Looked up Stadia reveal trailer, the one intended for the public. Not a single mention of specs.

Solid state storage is a poor substitute for DRAM. It's faster than a spinning disk, but still orders of magnitude too slow or lacking endurance. Having fast storage can indirectly reduce the need for DRAM capacity by reducing the amount of time it takes to load sufficient data for use in a game's simulation or rendering for a given frame. Streaming data on the fly often relies on loading data sufficiently far in advance of when it is needed. The slower the storage relative to the demand, the further the system must load things in advance. A downside of this is that the more data that is loaded, and the earlier it is loaded, the less certain it is what must be loaded. This means a certain amount of extra data can be pulled in just in case, since the information needed to narrow down the range may not be available in time.

If the storage system is faster, then a more current list of assets can be submitted, and buffered data can be more readily dropped from RAM if it can be safely brought back in time.
Reducing the need for having a lot of data just sitting around "just in case" can reduce the pressure for more DRAM, not that devs couldn't find a use for it if available.

Ok thanks. I understand it's better with more RAM but that would be more expensive.

Ok thanks. I understand it's better with more RAM.

No. Not at all. It all depends on how much RAM is actually needed.

If you only need 2.8 GB per second and can guarantee you can read that every second you dont need more than a base amount of RAM required (such as 12 GB). Having 24 GB RAM would then provide no benefit over 12 GB then.

Read our Reposts of Sebbi's post dealing with game asset streaming.

Pretty weird that dev kits have been handled out to 3rd party studios, yet no one leaked anyting.

I think until devs get full documentation (ala last gen Durango) we wont know target specs. These dev kits could even have Nvidia hardware inside (Durango had it IIRC)...or Vega 7 parts, who knows.

Really, you better check!

Please link the article and we can discuss, Kotaku posts so many articles nobody will trawl to see if one matches

The only article I have read had the 10.7tf and the writer saying they believe Sony and Microsoft will be aiming higher

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back