Oracle finally does what everyone else couldn't...

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Oracle may finally do what everyone else couldn't, kill JAVA completely. Secondary benefit is if Oracle kills itself in the process.

The place I work at would suffer through a $20K MONTHLY cost simply because a vendor supplied software product has their software running on Java. Yeah, that sure as hell is not happening. For them OpenJDK is NOT an option as their UI is based on JavaFX and that is NOT fully supported.

Fuck Oracle.
Fuck Java.

~~~ Background Article Summary below ~~~

in late 2018, Oracle made some rather large changes to the way customers will receive patches and updates for the aging Java environment.

Consumers who run Java SE 8 on their home computers or other personal uses can continue to receive periodic updates and security patches for the runtime environment, according to Oracle’s new rules. But companies who use the Java SE 8 runtime will have to pony up the cash if they want to keep their systems free of security vulnerabilities, according to Oracle.

“Public updates for Oracle Java SE 8 will remain available for individual, personal use through at least the end of 2020,” Oracle states on its Web page. “Public updates for Oracle Java SE 8 released after January 2019 will not be available for business, commercial or production use without a commercial license.

The Redwood City, California, company made similar changes to version 11 of the Oracle Java Development Kit (JDK). Oracle says users “May not . . . use the programs for any data processing or any commercial, production, or internal business purposes other than developing, testing, prototyping, and demonstrating your application.

So what’s a Java user to do? Companies that want to maintain their older Java SE 8 environments can purchase a Java SE Subscription from the Oracle Store. The annual subscriptions start at $30 per user for desktop support, $300 per processor for server and cloud environments, and $1,200 per user for Java tools (including NetBeans, JDeveloper, and Enterprise Pack for Eclipse).

Oracle is being criticized for the changes to Java SE 8 and JDK 11 terms, with some users claiming that the changes constitute a trap for those who previously used Java SE in production without being asked to pay for it. “For 23 years, developers have downloaded the JDK from Oracle and used it for $free,” writes Stephen Colebourne on his Java blog. “Unless you read the text/warnings/legalese very carefully you might not even realize Oracle JDK is now commercial, and that you are therefore liable to pay Oracle for using this particular JDK in production.”

Snippets taken from article here: https://www.itjungle.com/2019/04/03/ibm-clarifies-java-options-following-oracle-license-crackdown/

Wow, I have a feeling this is gonna get real ugly before it's over and is gonna turn into a huge issue at some point almost overnight!

Thanks BRiT, the idea that they're sort of blackmailing the old java users is a weird twist and I'm real curious to see what the law is/does/reacts/deals with it all.

(Also thanks for explaining it well enough that even I could get it and how bloody big this is!)

It took me a while to find something online that covered enough of the issues well enough until I ran across that one with having to copy just a few snippets.

What gets me, is how low-key Oracle's policy changes were, that it took this long to hit the fan. I'm sure this is just the beginning of a large cluster-fuck, that will get uglier as time goes on. I'm sure Oracle will eventually target OpenJDK and attempt to leverage their (bullshit) API lawsuit win against Google. I'm sure that will be yet another long running lawsuit.

Everyone should have known nothing good can come from Oracle, but they all thought incorrectly that they wouldn't be impacted. They were wrong.

Those Microsoft .NET guys must be weeping for joy.

Seriously with .NET Core 3.0 almost out I think Microsoft has a compelling alternative. Better language features, better dev tools, better class library, better performance most of the time. IMO Java does only have the advantage of the (admittedly) huge pile of open-source libraries and components. But with dev concepts like micro-services and the .NET community catching up that advantage becomes increasingly smaller.

I switched from Java to .NET over 20 years ago and never looked back.

I lived deep in the trenches of Java with J2EE, JNI, JMS, ORM and worked on our own fully Sun-certified J2EE Application Server built atop our own C++ App Server and full CORBA integration layers. Then elsewhere I moved onto C# 1.1 and integration with unsafe C and C++ before moving onto other dotNet Framework goodies and never looked back! It's been a nice 16 some years since.

Yes the irony of this reversal ...
Apparently hell froze over.

I lived deep in the trenches of Java with J2EE, JNI, JMS, ORM and worked on our own fully Sun-certified J2EE Application Server built atop our own C++ App Server and full CORBA integration layers. Then elsewhere I moved onto C# 1.1 and integration with unsafe C and C++ before moving onto other dotNet Framework goodies and never looked back! It's been a nice 16 some years since.
I still remember the time when J2EE was the silver bullet for about everything and application servers were magical constructs until XML came along and everything had to be done with XML. Reminds me of the blockchain hype. :D

Microsoft announces it’s ready to contribute to OpenJDK
October 31, 2019
In a message to the OpenJDK community, Bruno Borges announced that Microsoft has now formally signed the Oracle Contributor Agreement and has been welcomed to the Java community. He went on to reaffirm Microsoft’s commitment to Java and that the team is looking forward to giving something back to the Java community. However, the team will not just barge in with a heavy hand, but will start with smaller bug fixes and the like so they can learn how to be “good citizens within OpenJDK.”
Borges, himself a former Oracle developer, is Principal Product Manager for Java at Microsoft. He presents Martijn Verburg as the Java engineering team lead who will be working together along with other partners in the Java ecosystem. Verburg is also CEO of jClarity, a leading AdoptOpenJDK contributor acquired by Microsoft in August this year, so presumably he will stay true to form and continue to contribute to the Java world, only now with Microsoft at his back.
https://jaxenter.com/microsoft-ready-contribute-openjdk-163550.html

Back