Astronomy and space exploration

BTW SpaceX seems to have had a catastrophic failure of their capsule while testing the rockets.

Rocketlab seem to be doing a great job of building a good smallsat launch business. The market is going to get really crowded over the new few years. They look to have one of the better chances of surviving when the market heats up.

+ Their launch site in NZ has a really nice lawn.

Blue Moon: Here's How Blue Origin's New Lunar Lander Works
By Hanneke Weitering 10 hours ago News

missing-image.svg

Blue Origin is shooting for the moon. Here's how.

WASHINGTON — Yesterday, Blue Origin's billionaire founder, Jeff Bezos, revealed the company's plans to land a spacecraft named "Blue Moon" on the lunar surface.

During an exclusive presentation here at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center yesterday (May 9), Bezos laid out the details of Blue Moon and all the ways it can be used to explore Earth's natural satellite.

From new tech to possible crewed missions to the lunar surface, there's a lot to unpack from Bezos' presentation. We'll explain what Blue Origin plans to do with Blue Moon, as well as detail the spacecraft's design and some of its bells and whistles.
https://www.space.com/blue-origin-blue-moon-lander-explained.html

New Experiment Will Test EmDrive That Breaks the Laws of Physics
If it works, we might one day be able to propel spacecraft without the need for any fuel.
Kristin Houser 7 hours ago

Dream Machine
For nearly 20 years, scientists have debated the viability of an EmDrive, a hypothetical type of engine that could propel a spacecraft without the need for any fuel.

If that sounds too good to be true, that’s because it probably is — a working EmDrive would literally break one of the foundational laws of physics — but that hasn’t stopped scientists from top research organizations including NASA and DARPA from pursuing the tech, because the payoff would be so extraordinary.

Now, a team of German physicists is conducting a new EmDrive experiment — and this one could end the debate surrounding the controversial concept once and for all.
https://futurism.com/test-emdrive-breaks-laws-physics

Wasn't that already debunked? ¬_¬

Of course it can not be completely "debunked" as people are always trying to make more experiments. It's not a bad thing though, as it'd be very useful if such thing is actually possible (and opens up a huge possibility of discovery of new laws of physics). However, based on the results of previous experiments, it's very likely that the so called "EmDrive" is not a real effect, but a combined effects from its surrounding environments.

Of course it can not be completely "debunked" as people are always trying to make more experiments. It's not a bad thing though, as it'd be very useful if such thing is actually possible (and opens up a huge possibility of discovery of new laws of physics). However, based on the results of previous experiments, it's very likely that the so called "EmDrive" is not a real effect, but a combined effects from its surrounding environments.
IIRC, the last "big" experiment found out that heat made copper expand a bit and that may explain the "thrust".

The experiment from which I actually expect something is the one from these guys: https://www.facebook.com/SWarpDynamics/

I've shared it here sometimes. Do you know it?

Really? the EM drive seems more realistic to me
EM drive = creating a tiny amount of thrust
SWarpDynamics = warping spacetime

weve measured examples of spacetime being warped it took the collision of two neutron stars to do it

weve measured examples of spacetime being warped it took the collision of two neutron stars to do it

Well, technically any amount of energy can cause the spacetime to warp (otherwise there'd be no gravity). On the other hand, as you said, it'd take a huge amount of energy to create a warp large enough to be useful.

Various attempts at testing the EM drive did claim certain measured results, but with significant caveats like odd choices in setup, measurements at power-up or non-steady state thermals, measured thrusts in directions other than where they were supposed to be, thrust amounts not consistent with their supposed mechanism at or near the noise floor, and difficulty isolating from equally minor factors like wiring interacting with the Earth's magnetic field.
Some of the most recent articles I've read on EM tests showed whatever the latest claimed amount of thrust went away once the torsion bar was corrected and/or more of the device was shielded from external magnetic fields.
That kind of shielding isn't cheap, so the most recent setup that didn't register a detectable thrust wasn't totally shielded--just more shielded than the setup that supposedly generated its own thrust.

Even with warping space, utilizing it for movement requires some level of being able to consistently generate a warped region outside of a propulsion device, or asymmetrically. Warping space in a region that symmetrically surrounds you and doesn't move without some kind of displacement of matter or energy out of the area is just having mass.

Well, I'm not an expert, but if some of you are more knowledgeable with this stuff, I would like you to visit their Facebook page and website: https://www.spacewarpdynamicsllc.com/

You can read about the theory and the experiments they already have done. On their Facebook page they recently explained how their place was vandalised when they were just about to perform and show their latest experiment with more weight. Perfect timing? I don't think so, since they already have shown the same experiment with less weight, published a paper, been to interviews and even on a scientific conference. They seem quite humble, as well. They may be onto something... or that's what I hope! :mrgreen:

Back