Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

The problem is are they going to have any exclusives? We know Microsoft is going to have all the big third party games and there own first party games on there service. So unless Stadia works better than Xcloud I don't see the point of choosing them over Microsofts service.
library will be their biggest challenge. They are very successful with the product though. They have the youtube streaming down, the latency bits down. They've been working on this infrastructure for a long time.

It's true that MS will have a better library out of the gates, but streaming game performance is still yet to be seen.

We'll see a lot of head to head comparisons.

library will be their biggest challenge. They are very successful with the product though. They have the youtube streaming down, the latency bits down. They've been working on this infrastructure for a long time.

It's true that MS will have a better library out of the gates, but streaming game performance is still yet to be seen.

We'll see a lot of head to head comparisons.

Although they gave up on Game Streaming just days ago when they basically pulled the plug on YouTube Gaming (Twitch competitor).

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05/googles-killing-the-youtube-gaming-app-this-week/

It was their highly pushed gaming portal (content still hosted on YouTube) with monetization similar to Twitch for streamers. With more and more game content creators fleeing YouTube or marginalizing their involvement with YouTube, I'm not sure the streaming bit will be a big deal.

Regards,
SB

It's worse than I expected, thankfully.

With Google behind I was expecting much more.

Cloud gaming and subscriptions are bad for consumers and developers (at least those who care about other things other than the $$$)

You think? As a customer I'm pretty pleaser with my music and movies subscriptions. I also think gamepass is great and would be better still if it was instant access.

Latency and how good subscription platforms are for developers are things I just don't know yet.

Test to check if your connection is capable for Stadia.

https://projectstream.google.com/speedtest

My result (my actual connection's speed is 20-25MBs):

Not suitable.

Your connection isn’t ready for Stadia yet.
Your download speed of 6.642 Mbps is below the 10 Mbps we recommend to stream games on Stadia. Improve your Internet connection and then check it again.

Not sure on that test, my connection is pretty snappy down, I got 8 and a bit there (fail), now I am on my mobile over wireless but a quick test on Speedtest.net app and even picking a host 200 miles away in another country I blast past 100 with ease , Bell Canada was just a hair over 40
I am in the UK.

Unless it is using different units, which I do not believe it is something seems wrong. Perhaps they are only using a single data centre there and it's possibly getting hammered atm

Not sure on that test, my connection is pretty snappy down, I got 8 and a bit there (fail), now I am on my mobile over wireless but a quick test on Speedtest.net app and even picking a host 200 miles away in another country I blast past 100 with ease , Bell Canada was just a hair over 40
I am in the UK.

Unless it is using different units, which I do not believe it is something seems wrong. Perhaps they are only using a single data centre there and it's possibly getting hammered atm
Not sure, I got 130mbps on cable internet. Might be several factors, including your mobile carrier prioritizing certain speed testing sites to ensure they look good and this is brand new.

In what current products does Google have experience with close-to-realtime latency? Video chat?
Game streaming mainly. The second largest would be their enormous amount of realtime data extraction from your devices LOL. I kid.
They have do Live youtube, they have strong infrastructure support there supporting millions of viewers.
And we've heard Stadia performance already in earlier demos, and the feedback has been positive.

Not sure, I got 130mbps on cable internet. Might be several factors, including your mobile carrier prioritizing certain speed testing sites to ensure they look good and this is brand new.

I was on WiFi with the phone so that was my ISP Virgin media, it's possible they were to blame

It raises an interesting question about mobile access as at home I would use the Xbox

My mobile 4g connect was significantly better

Based on your current download speed of 43.387 Mbps, we expect you’ll have a high-performance gaming experience on Stadia. Go back to the Google Store

Edit: just retested my WiFi / ISP. Pretty sure they are getting hammered as my connection was idle the whole time, a normal result as I would expect for the connection
169.051 Mbps

It's crap basically.

If you want 4K:
Pay the 130$ Chromecast fee
Pay the 10$ subscription fee every month
Pay the full price of the game
Pay for a premium Internet package with high speed and unlimited cap (Google mentioned needing 20GB per hour).

And on top of all of that:
Sacrifice image quality through compression
Sacrifice input latency
Sacrifice control of your game (local copy, mods, customization ..etc)
Sacrifice competitiveness in online games (player base will be limited as cross play depends on the game and the developer)

Sounds to me like a complete bad deal. And the free model is no exception either, as you only save the 10$ monthly fees.

They are, but it's not part of E3 at all.

I posted about it earlier here: https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2071242/
Thought this was gonna be like a Nintendo E3 direct or something.
For some reason everyone's hands looked big.

Anyway, guess was hoping for lot more.
Sounds to me like a complete bad deal. And the free model is no exception either, as you only save the 10$ monthly fees
Think I'm gonna have to go read an article based on show not leak, as from what I saw in the show the pricing didn't sound bad at all.

It's crap basically.

If you want 4K:
Pay the 130$ Chromecast fee
Pay the 10$ subscription fee every month
Pay the full price of the game
Pay for a premium Internet package with high speed and unlimited cap (Google mentioned needing 20GB per hour).

And on top of all of that:
Sacrifice image quality through compression
Sacrifice input latency
Sacrifice control of your game (local copy, mods, customization ..etc)
Sacrifice competitiveness in online games (player base will be limited as cross play depends on the game and the developer)

Sounds to me like a complete bad deal. And the free model is no exception either, as you only save the 10$ monthly fees.

This whole Stadia packaging thing sounds… well...
giphy.gif

Run through your entire 1TB monthly limit in 65 hours of gaming at 4K, also only the Pro service will offer more than Stereo Audio.

https://www.pcgamer.com/stadia-4k-streaming-will-use-up-1tb-of-data-in-65-hours/

a Stadia Pro subscription will include 5.1 surround sound support while free Stadia accounts, which are coming next year, will only have stereo audio and will be limited to a 1080p or lower stream.

That works out to around 15.75GB per hour of 4K streaming, 9GB per hour of 1080p, or 4.5GB per hour at 720p.

T47GBY48oabgRTL2QjHsy[1].jpg

Heh, just tried their speed test for the heck of it and I got...

"An error has occurred, please try again."

It's possibly getting hammered, but what happens if a lot of people decide they want to play the newest shiny game that just released on Stadia and it's getting hammered?

Isn't that cheaper than buying a console with gold/plus subscriptions?

Possibly even cheaper than that if not going to be streaming to 4k TV but to a pad or phone etc

Except for a couple things.
  • You need to buy the game in both cases. But in the console case you can still play it at 4k if your gold subscription ends. You're limited to 1080p on Stadia if your subscription ends.
  • No internet connection, can't play the game on Stadia. Most games you can play offline on console.
  • On console only multiplayer is affected by internet conditions. On Stadia even single player games are affected by your internet connection conditions.
  • All the caveats about a streamed experience versus a locally rendered experience.
Stadia is basically the Xbox One launch, but much worse. It doesn't just require an online connection to play your games, but the quality of your games depends on your internet connection.

The only potential plus is that for the base experience you don't have to buy a X hundred dollar USD console and you can play the game anywhere that has really good internet (consistent low latency more important than bandwidth for gameplay, while bandwidth important for graphics).

And to be fair, I'm not expecting much better from MS's X-cloud unless they include the ability to also play the game locally ala. Game Pass. If it's just an extension of the Game Pass service then I see far less downsides. In that case you'd have all the benefits of streamed gaming with all the benefits of locally rendered gaming.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back