Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

A pc version isn't out of the question yet, i think it was going to be pc in the beginning?
most probably yes, I've heard today that Kojima Studios is a independent company and Death Stranding is a timed exclusive

whoa on the sony press-site, there are tons of amazing screenshots. too bad no direct mp4 video of the new trailer

They sure are extremely talented alright, but without a technically sound engine their vision would be compromised. For Kojima to go on a world tour for the perfect engine is reason enough for it.

The combat looked underwhelming I agree but at least it doesn't take Sam 5 seconds just to pick up a cup, 10 seconds to get on a horse. And even if we compare them in cutscene the ones in here looked world apart in asset quality, animation and effects.

the "choppy" battle animation looks deliberate. probably to balance with gameplay "comfort"

Game looks absolutely bonkers, really like it.
Gameplay animation looks very close to what it was on MGSV, very deliberate choices made to make sure it reads well for player and feels responsive to play.
Never mind the cutscene, some of the gameplay shown here look even more impressive such as the gif with all the particles and this one.
ReasonableImmaterialCottontail.webp
Yeah, that looks incredible..

Clouds could be continuing the work we saw in Zero Dawn, now it seems they have proper depth with the rest of the scene and so on.
I wonder if the weather system is made so that we can see storms brewing further away and try to adjust our routes accordingly..

Last edited:
The only thing that immediately stood out as not polished enough was the tendency of entire Norman Reedus model to get automatically shifted up/down whenever he passes over elevation changes. There are no physics and momentum calculations, he is glued to the contour of the terrain. It is bothering me much more when he's on a bike.

Gameplay animation looks very close to what it was on MGSV, very deliberate choices made to make sure it reads well for player and feels responsive to play.

My takeaway as well. People love to bitch about how Kojima is way too much in love with movies, but just about all of his games have truck loads of wonderfully responsive gameplay systems which are usually polished to a mirror sheen.
I'm stoked for this thing. Art direction is bloody amazing as usual. Hope it'll be fine on my base PS4. Not too worried though. I've never felt like I got shafted so far. Especially not with Sony's exclusives.

Last edited:
Game looks absolutely bonkers, really like it.

Yeah, that looks incredible..

Clouds could be continuing the work we saw in Zero Dawn, now it seems they have proper depth with the rest of the scene and so on.
I wonder if the weather system is made so that we can see storms brewing further away and try to adjust our routes accordingly..
There's definitely a strong emphasis on storm, rain and weather cycle to contextualizing the story. We see plants cycling through their lives on the go, even humans and animals too, so a believable realtime weather system is essential to tell the story. The way they render the storm is almost like Planet Earth.

My takeaway as well. People love to bitch about how Kojima is way too much in love with movies, but just about all of his games have truck loads of wonderfully responsive gameplay systems which are usually polished to a mirror sheen.
I'm stoked for this thing. Art direction is bloody amazing as usual. Hope it'll be fine on my base PS4. Not too worried though. I've never felt like I got shafted so far. Especially not with Sony's exclusives.
Responsive doesn't have to mean robotic. MGS2 animation was much more fluid than DS's.

The only thing that immediately stood out as not polished enough was the tendency of entire Norman Reedus model to get automatically shifted up/down whenever he passes over elevation changes. There are no physics and momentum calculations, he is glued to the contour of the terrain. It is bothering me much more when he's on a bike.
I am more bothered with the camera location. How the hell can the player see where to go in this Gif ? Same against the boss when he runs away from it. Half the time you can't even see yourself, because of the camera location.

That looks nice and all, but most of those gameplay clips don't seem very much playable.

I am more bothered with the camera location. How the hell can the player see where to go in this Gif ? Same against the boss when he runs away from it. Half the time you can't even see yourself, because of the camera location.

That looks nice and all, but most of those gameplay clips don't seem very much playable.
What do you mean? Most likely you can control the camera like you did in MGSV.
In the video the demonstrator was choosing certain angles deliberately to showcase certain details for the sake of the trailer.

Pretty sure the camera is entirely user controlled. The angles were chosen for effect, not for convenience. As for shifting bodies: if that means having snappy controls I'm more than willing to pay a small price like that. Reminds me a little of Breath of the Wild in that regard.

Responsive doesn't have to mean robotic. MGS2 animation was much more fluid than DS's.

Not only do I highly doubt that, but the terrain Snake has to traverse in MGS2 is vastly less complex. It is either flat (seriousy cannot remember a single incline) or a ladder. It got a little more complex with MGS3 and MGS4, but MGS5 (which looks very similar to DS in terms of animation) takes both of their lunches with ease.

Games which control like games have a tendency to also look like games I guess.

They have full access through to HZD's character animation and have chosen not to use it, or at least make it behave differently to terrain.

Not only do I highly doubt that, but the terrain Snake has to traverse in MGS2 is vastly less complex. It is either flat (seriousy cannot remember a single incline) or a ladder. It got a little more complex with MGS3 and MGS4, but MGS5 (which looks very similar to DS in terms of animation) takes both of their lunches with ease.

Lol, I know what you mean...but I’m pretty sure there’s a bit where you go down a ladder for like 5 minutes!

The worst part in the trailer (animation wise) is the combat, and that was in flat terrain.

If you have to chose between being snappy but robotic looking or cinematic but sluggish, by all means go robotic. But there have been games out there that control very responsively and still animate well. Not that it's something easy to achieve, but it is not impossible.

We have a confirmation of the old theory that Norman's blood is hurting the BTs.

In PSX17 trailer, BT palm was burned a bit when it touched Norman's puddle of blood.
psx17_deathstranding_ftj0k.jpg

And now in Japanese trailer forest bossfight, each bullet is also coated with a bit of his blood [red bar].
t8eak8m26n131.png

Back