AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen NAVI board with 2 x 8-pin PCIe power connectors and I heard from Sapphire repr., that there is watter cooled NAVI board, which speaks itself .-)
What does the water cooling say to you?
As I've seen water-cooled sku's for years now. So it only says to me they'll also have a water cooled version so it can be pushed further.

I have seen NAVI board with 2 x 8-pin PCIe power connectors
And I have seen TU102 board with 3 x 8-pin PCIe power connectors ;)
and I heard from Sapphire repr., that there is watter cooled NAVI board, which speaks itself .-)
Last Toxic-series models I know of having watercooling were with 135 and 210 W TDPs, that doesn't actually speak anything for itself.

http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=276

qQR1tGH.png

AFAIK it's the first time Sapphire will be offering a custom WC card. So far they've only launched graphics cards with reference waterblocks (Fury X and Vega 64 LC).
It could go either way, really.

yes, it was very quickly deleted. So it may be some truth in it.... Who knows. Take it with ususal amount of salt. Strange thing about this info is why would they make such big change with last GCN and not with Fiji/Vega already.

It´s get quickly removed, while I wrote this post.... but I have back up https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...f008d89a5810ca72ae0155f87a805.png?w=800&h=514

Wait... is he saying Navi will have maximum 5 CU per SE? Or is he talking about the specific case of the 40 CU navi announced for PC?

I´m hearing all kind of things, from navi beeing able to reach 128 CUs keeping each SE with 16 CUs, to Navi having cutted in Half the number of CUs per SE. This last one would mean the bellow scheme:

eXu5yAW.png

Wich one is it? I´m inclined to the last one, keeping maximum CUs at 64.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Probably just the particular SKU. It sounds like it'd be a 4x Kaio Ken Pitcairn.

I'm not sure what to make of the 32 wavefront per CU compared to current GCN. Currently, we're at 10 wavefronts per SIMD (40 per CU) unless the terminology is garbled.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/gcn-and-mixed-wavefronts.59610/

On current GCN a wavefront is a total of 64 threads.
Each SIMD can hold up to 10 Wavefronts... That's 640 threads per SIMD, and with 16 CU you get 40 per CU. A 64 CU GPU would get a total of 2560 Threads

Now... with a wavefront of 32 that must be diferent! Although I doubt final values are diferent.
So if I reverse calculations, for a 64 CU Navi I would get the same 40 per CU, Diference would be that the SIMD would get 20 wavefronts.

Not shure this is correct, or even possible, but I doubt total capacity has been reduced.

Is it safe to deduce that the next generation will be akin to Pitcairn in Super-Saiyan mode?
:p

Anyhoo, previously on GCN...
  • Each SIMD has capacity for 10 waves (64 lanes/wave)
  • Each CU has a peak throughput of 64 VALU instructions/clock
  • Each 4 CUs share 16KiB K$ (Constant L1), and 32KiB I$ (Instruction L1)
So Polaris 10 moved to 3 CUs sharing the K$ & I$ for wiring purposes. Wonder if they're taking another step with just paired CUs while also moving to the (apparent) super-SIMD :?:

GCN CU = SIMD0-3, 4x16ALU, up to 4 CUs sharing K$, I$
NG CU = SIMD0-1, 2x32, up to 2 CUs sharing K$, I$

<insert cascade of implications based on the 2017 optimization doc because caches> :oops:

Could be way off, chasing ghosts etc. :p

Last edited:
Wait... is he saying Navi will have maximum 5 CU per SE? Or is he talking about the specific case of the 40 CU navi announced for PC?

Personally , I don´t believe much in that change with NAVI as it seems far too radical to me. More likely Navi would be another boring GCN stuff pushed again to it´s limits to be at least competitive.
I believe, radical changes may come with new architecture....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back