Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

world war Z has bigger hordes, but the graphics are simplier, and don't know about the AI behavior.
I wouldn't describe WWZ as being simpler. It's different and has the advantage (IMO) of running on a custom in-house engine unlike Days Gone.

High Zombie Throughput in Modern Graphics:
https://gpuopen.com/gdc-presentatio...high-zombie-throughput-in-modern-graphics.pdf

Enabling Real-Time Light Baking Workflows in Saber Engine with AMD Radeon Rays:
https://gpuopen.com/gdc-presentations/2019/gdc-2019-s1-enabling-light-baking-workflows.pdf

has a lot of bugs though as it is also evident at the end of the video
But great work overall for their size

Yeah, i didn't know that before my comment but the game seems to have a lot of bugs and a very poor AI...

Not saying it's not impressive, cause it is, but we have had games with hundreds and hundreds of characters on screen at once for many years, on previous generations too.

I agree but the crowd is far less dynamic in those games.

Most of of time, you see hundreds of rather static characters. I've never seen something like in Days Gone before.

I agree but the crowd is far less dynamic in those games.

Most of of time, you see hundreds of rather static characters. I've never seen something like in Days Gone before.

Agreed. Sometimes they would all move in exactly the same way like they were line dancing or doing the macarena, all very close to each other. Creepy.

This game is too damn long and not in a good way. I've put in around 30 hours and just hit a mission where I'm warned that proceeding will lock me out of the territories in which I've been playing in thus far. A quick google shows there are 15-20 more hours left and ideally I don't want to proceed now, I really need to grind another 4,000 trust to buy my last weapon and bike upgrades which probably take a couple of hours.

The basic gameplay mechanics are great but there are around 100 missions, some of which have you riding somewhere (burning fuel) where somebody will says three words (no exaggeration), then you drive back where you were via somewhere you can find fuel.

WTF game, seriously, WTF. :mad: Everybody has a damn radio! The main story has me intrigued but a lot of these time-wasting missions are just AWFUL. That stuff is just NOT FUN.

I appreciate the positive comments on how the game looks, I really do.

I cut together a video of me running around one of my favorite areas in the game. There is a little row of abandoned rental cabins in the far west of the lost lake region. The art team did a really fantastic job so I wanted to show it off little a bit.

Cheers

I was intrigued by the moment the protagonist goes indoors and stands by a window. His movement there affects the GI bounced light into the wall. It's not common to see dynamic objects affect GI in modern games. @Graham, can you share what is the GI solution in here? It seems to be voxel based, but it is surprising that it's that dynamic!

I thought everyone knew Sony's Cinematic Forests are composed by Foxel companions.

Btw, here's another thing that really bugs me about the game: loading times everywhere.

I didn't notice this much when exploring the map but when you work through missions, particularly some of the main story missions, this can get really bad. I've now encountered several chains of driving somewhere, then a 20-second load for a 10 second video, then a 20-second load, then 10 seconds of gameplay, then another 20-second load for a 30 second cutscene then another load for another cutscene.

It's difficult to comprehend how some of the missions were put together when you play this. Some cutscenes are loooong, then you get two or more short ones with loading between them. But yanking you out of gameplay for a really short cutscene is pretty bad. I wonder why they can't stream the video and play it realtime without the loading either side. :???:

The other thing the game does during story missions is that thing where it only lets you half-play the game, for example you can't run or access any of your inventory and it become a bit of a walking simulator. You just get used to this then it'll do this in a missions where there are enemies so now you can access you weapons but you can't run or crouch. Then missions where you need to ride with a companion on your bike. Sometimes you have full control, can jump off, loot and refuel, other times you can't and other times you just have to hold R2. It feels very inconsistent.

These irritations aside, what I've played so far has been great.

Do hordes become a more prevalent thing later in the game? I have yet to encounter even one in 8 hours or so.

I must be around 35-40 hours in and I've had my first game mission to fight a horde and it was GREAT! :mrgreen: Until this point, hordes have been a dynamic real world threats you could avoid by being observant.

I still think the game is way too long and that's without me grinding reputation/credits to get the best weapon and bike upgrades.

Back