Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

I still don't understand what multiplayer gameplay is supposed to look like. They are not chasing the technology for PvP area control ala Eve, I don't hear anything about shipclass specific scenarios ala STO.

So just resource collection, trading, ganking and spaceship sim? I guess it will have some appeal, but doubt it will have the staying power of Eve.

Interesting, the FTR vid has been taken down (voluntary or forced?), maybe he went a bit far?
Forbes article is still up though.

I still don't understand what multiplayer gameplay is supposed to look like.
From what I've seen something like: You wake up, put some clothes on, drink some coffee, walk to the train station, wait for the train, get on the train, commute, complete walking to work, spend hours tediously grinding for limited gain, reverse the process, then you boot up Star Citizen and repeat.
But virtually this time, with CTDs and lots of waiting for other players as you rattle round a high-fidelity but mostly empty universe in ships that 'look cool' but have horrendous design flaws & mostly are supposed to be crewed by several actual players but don't really work that way.
Then you record a 3hr video expounding how awesome its going to be when eventually you get to take out your 80 crew ship manned by real players coordinated with internal comms using FoIP & do... something?

Maybe only PVE ?

That's not a problem in and of itself, but a good multiplayer PvE experience requires careful game design to have some depth. Has to be designed as a MMO instance, that's why I mentioned STO.

I'm not hearing much in that direction, they seem to want a mostly player directed MMO ... but they just don't seem to have the tech necessary for it, or business model.

I don't think that this is impossible to have an entire universe densely populated procedurally, with unique variations.

It is just that we humanity are still learning how to procedurally generate.

In a few generations maybe we reach the point of being able to create entire procedural universes with unique characteristics for everything, from star clusters down to insects.

Star Citizen is an awesome project, though. Wish I could work on it and do some humble contributions, honestly.

Its already here: No Mans Sky.

Well, no. =)

Given the context (I should have quoted the other posts to keep the context), no, not yet.

NMS is certainly in the direction, but I mean something much more "complex", let's say, with so much more entropy and most probably using AI to create deeply complex star systems, civilizations, buildings with interiors etc that we would not be able to differentiate from hand-made.

I mean a level of entropy where every simple little thing from tiny insects up to huge galaxies will have so many different random and inter-influencing properties that we will be literally playing God.

Articles criticizing this game are everywhere now.

The way I see it is: Excessively ambitious? Yes, I think so. Scam? No. Even if I don't completely agree or like some of their priorities and results, I don't think it's a scam in any way.

Wish I lived close to one of their studios, I would certainly try hard to get hired and would give my best to help.

I am really curious to see what will happen in the end.

The way I see it is: Excessively ambitious? Yes, I think so. Scam? No. Even if I don't completely agree or like some of their priorities and results, I don't think it's a scam in any way.

They've continuously lied about the state of development and promised features that they have no chance of delivering. They're either grossly naive, incompetent, liers or a combination of all three. Most of the time when people say scam, that's really what they're talking about.

Last edited:
They've continuously lied about the state of development and promised features that they have no chance of delivering.

That's, unfortunately, how a lot game studios go, and as well as other creative industries. It's just that when it's not a crowdfunded project most of thar mess is hidden from the consumer's sight.

Back