AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current thinking is it's Vega based.

Stadia exists today, so it has to be Vega, right now. It's not released to the public yet, but that will be sometime this year, so it might be upgraded to Navi depending on timeframes.

Well the slide is focused on datacenter application and Navi is the next generation that's more focused on general gaming workloads so it makes sense to position it there. It doesn't mean there is any existing business for it yet.

But this seems like a somewhat long-term partnership, and Google promised timely h/w updates, so here it is!
Thought you meant current implementation.
Sure it could be updated to Navi in the future.
But considering it's stacking capabilities they may not depending on how far out the next gen part is, it could be available by then.

Stadia exists today, so it has to be Vega, right now. It's not released to the public yet, but that will be sometime this year, so it might be upgraded to Navi depending on timeframes.

Do we have any info about googles plans regarding unused instances? I wonder if Vega would allow google more Stadia hardware reusability compared to Navi, since Vega is also the basis for AMDs compute and machine learning cards whereas Navi seems to be a Polaris gaming successor.

Adoredtv released another video. Interesting part start at 26:30 minutes IMO.
It sounds like a Vega bis in a sense that they're fighting with power and thermals...

With Intel snagging the likes of Kyle and Ashraf and you know them, we don't even have anyone left to leak stuff.
This is even more schizofrenic that it already was.
AMD will tape out a new 7nm die to
*checks list*
add 8CUs!

It's entering risk Q1'20.
So no.

You're right, they made it sound much close to launch : (

Ahwell, back to wondering if Navi and etc. are on 7nm+. It'd make a lot of sense if they're trying to compete with Intel for laptops this year.

It's possible for launch time, production starts this quarter for 7nm+ and launch is next. Might be cutting it way too close/low supply though. And the above is an assumption, maybe they're just concentrated on Rome/Servers for this year, and will hope to take on Intel with mobile devices (Intel's biggest market) next year or 2021 even.

Slide from AMD investor presentation.
Navi is mentioned for cloud gaming. Maybe Google will use Navi in Stadia.

Interesting that they would need also graphics acceleration in the cloud (for Google). I was imagining regular headless cloud applications with massive scalability and orchestration logic and using off the shelf accelerators instead of purpose built graphics accelerators.
I hope Google's work with gaming (in Linux I guess) could trickle down to augment AMD's (Intel, Valve, others etc..) excellent open source efforts.

Interesting that they would need also graphics acceleration in the cloud (for Google). I was imagining regular headless cloud applications with massive scalability and orchestration logic and using off the shelf accelerators instead of purpose built graphics accelerators.
I hope Google's work with gaming (in Linux I guess) could trickle down to augment AMD's (Intel, Valve, others etc..) excellent open source efforts.
In case of AMD only thing really separating the two is PCB and software.

It sounds like a Vega bis in a sense that they're fighting with power and thermals...
The bullet points about Navi:

1 - Navi Instinct delayed to Q1 2020 -> Was there going to be Navi Instinct? I thought Navi was a gaming-oriented architecture and Vega 20 would be kept for compute until post-Navi's release.

2 - "Navi horror stories" -> Navi not progressing well, unlike Lisa Su's statements and earlier reports from 2018?

3 - Navi can't match Vega 20 clocks -> This sounds really weird now. Why wouldn't Navi match Vega 20 clocks? Maybe if AMD went for higher transistor density and lower performance?

4 - Clock targets met, but thermals and power are bad. -> Could explain that engineering sample PCB with two 8-pin connectors.

5 - Disregard faith in Navi, the engineers can't wait to be done with it -> Unlike Vega..?

I don't know what to think of this.
On one hand it sounds too bad to be true. On the other this would explain why Navi is so ridiculously late and the 300W PCB (I'm really not convinced they'd ever need 300W for the engineering sample of a card targeting 150-175W).

If the info in this video ends up being accurate, some questions should come up:

- How many failures in a row can RTG produce before being disbanded?
- Can RTG ever recover from this?
- If Navi isn't progressing well, wouldn't Lisa Su be blatantly lying to investors when stating the opposite, and isn't that a crime?

- How many failures in a row can RTG produce before being disbanded?
- Can RTG ever recover from this?
- If Navi isn't progressing well, wouldn't Lisa Su be blatantly lying to investors when stating the opposite, and isn't that a crime?
It would take some effort to produce a GPU worse than Vega.

Anyway, investors are being fooled all the time - you can't say your product can't compete, is half-broken, etc. Just look at Intel's 10nm "progressing well" since 2016. One can find AMD's quotes such as: "... so we should see Ryzen doing very well in the high end as well as Vega.". Yeah, Vega doing well.

Guess it depends precisely what she said and when.
Last year, may have been true until hitting issues.

After that, can say will have a 7nm competitive part. Could mean price, not thermals.

I can easily see them wanting to move away from gcn and get on to next gen though.
With navi delays, I wonder just how near it is. As I'm sure it's been worked on by separate teams.
But they have been pretty quiet with their road map.

Guess it depends precisely what she said and when.
Last year, may have been true until hitting issues.

After that, can say will have a 7nm competitive part. Could mean price, not thermals.

I can easily see them wanting to move away from gcn and get on to next gen though.
With navi delays, I wonder just how near it is. As I'm sure it's been worked on by separate teams.
But they have been pretty quiet with their road map.

they are not quiet with their road map, actually they said very clearly on earning call that next gen is still in scope for year 2020 on 7+ nm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back