Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

I did the advanced Move sculpting tutorial yesterday, learnt a lot of useful gestures from it. Then I also did the beginning of the ‘artist’ tutorials, the sculpting one. That’s a really big tutorial ...

Every day I check up on YouTube to find the latest videos featuring this "game". I like it so much. :love:

These days we're in a Sonic rage, so I think the occasion is perfect for this video:
For those who say that Dreams is not a technical showcase (ahem, @OCASM :rolleyes:), have you ever seen a game with so much grass? :D Not just this Sonic game, but lots of other dreams, as well.

And now look at this amazing Sonic: The Movie game made in Dreams, too:

:mrgreen:

Nice art and it seems fun!

When I watch these videos, I always wonder how many hours would be needed to recreate the same thing with polygons. Also, the geometric detail is insane in some dreams. And spheres and round surfaces are finally truly round.

Just like with LBP, I find all of this stuff rather fascinating. In theory that is. I simply don't see the appeal in playing, let alone in spending hundreds of hours creating poor versions of existing games. Or fancy versions of the Windows calculator. Some of the more extravagant levels in LBP took 6 months to make. That's the kind of time in which you could get an okay grasp on using something like UE4 (or a 3d modeling software, or Photshop, or what-have-you).

Last edited:
Just like with LBP, I find all of this stuff rather fascinating. In theory that is. I simply don't see the appeal in playing, let alone in spending hundreds of hours creating poor versions of existing games. Or fancy versions of the Windows calculator. Some of the more extravagant levels in LBP took 6 months to make. That's the kind of time in which you could get an okay grasp on using something like UE4 (or a 3d modeling software, or Photshop, or what-have-you).
There are several ways of expressing your creativity and spending your time. Some people may find not worthy the mere fact of sitting on a coach and grabbing a controller instead of, say, learning how to cook a soufflé or travelling around the world.

I see Dreams as a canvas that gives a lot of freedom for artists and a good tool for developers to create quick prototypes, for instance. Time will tell if this will be used for far more serious stuff and if it doesn't, well, people are just having fun in the mean time.

Some impressive stuff they are doing with that engine. But, I'm surprised it hasn't launched yet. They started work on this in 2012, a demo shown in 2013, and officially announced in 2015. Early access to limited number of players in April 2019. Will it officially launch before the next gen arrives? I know they originally planned for a 2018 early access release and 2019 game release, so if they still plan on a year to finish the game after early access that would put it in 2020.

With the timing of things, I wonder if they are working on enhancing it for next gen and will wait to make it a PS5 launch title with concurrent PS4 launch?

If I imagine a game that was made just by artists, this is kind of what I would imagine.

Regards,
SB

I kinda know what you mean, but I think you’re missing the point.

With LBP I finally got to make a game, I always wanted to but never was able to stay the course with programming.

What LBP (and Dreams) did (does) is remove those barriers and allow you to concentrate on being creative. As an example, my first level was a homage to hunch back - it started off really basic (much like the game hunchback) but then as I got confident I started getting really creative and by the end of the level I had some really nice set prices.

I did spend around 60 hours on it, but I would do it all again. From there I made more levels and a few concept mini games - I really enjoyed my time with LBP - I’d say it was the best WFM I got from a game last gen.

For me the barrier of making stuff in Dreams are the barebone tutorial.

It doesn't have an online "book" where I can easily search something like "move object by its axis".

Yes they have "how do I..." forum but its nightmare to search and read.

Ideally it should be like other game engines where they have "how do I do...." forum AND "online tutorial book".

2 days ago I was banging my head just to move blocks by its axis

Their over reliance on "online video class" is too uncomfortable for me

It doesn't have an online "book" where I can easily search something like "move object by its axis".

Ideally it should be like other game engines where they have "how do I do...." forum AND "online tutorial book".

Don't you have any means to post suggestions, etc?

Don't you have any means to post suggestions, etc?

Yeah, via the indreams forum. Too cumbersome tho, it's tied to PSN login and psn login often goes wongky for me.

The layout/organisation also makes it annoying to see suggestions/stuff that's not too popular.

Yes, I can see that...it wouldn’t be too hard or time consuming for them to meta-tag and index the videos would it?

Last edited:

Yes, I agree. But their priority was to first release the game in a playable state in 2018. They didn't say it would be an easy game at first ;-)

Plenty more tutorials are coming. The final and accessible game is not actually out yet. They are currently taking into account all the feedbacks.

And about the indreams forum, yes you need to get logged, but at least they are actually reading the feedbacks.

Last edited:

I knew all those games but the first one, which looks so nice! Sometimes in Dreams I see this CGI look because of the lighting, etc.

I find the interface in 3D space difficult to work with. I did an audio tutorial yesterday (actually had to look up a YT vid as nothing in game on making instruments). I added a sound widget above a platform. As I moved the camera around, I found it was miles away and needed a lot of work to move it vaguely near. As you can't just add content where you want without first getting to grips with the 3D interface and many control options, it's not at all 'pick up and create'. Given the tutorials are also 'work' and the interface learning hasn't been gamified, it's IMO a huge barrier to entry. I don't know any kids who'll care to create stuff in Dreams, vs plenty who enjoyed throwing stuff together in LBP.

Back