Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [pre E3 2019] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actual quote:

Nothing in there particular about PS5's performance or features; only AMD's ability to work long term to create a semiconductor solution for Sony's product. Though phrased in a way that the fanboys can get all excited. ;)

We’re really excited about what the next generation PlayStation will do
She must be a Playstation fanboy...(or fangirl ?) :LOL:

Hey she did like one of Cerny's tweet.

Actual quote:

Nothing in there particular about PS5's performance or features; only AMD's ability to work long term to create a semiconductor solution for Sony's product. Though phrased in a way that the fanboys can get all excited. ;)
What is her quote about MS next gen?
To get xbox fanboys all excited?

To be determined once MS releases any info about it.

So Lisa Su has mentioned there long term relationship with Sony and talked about creating special source specific to Sony's console.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IEAQ&usg=AOvVaw2FJlugt0ewHNFn0LSdRpEN&ampcf=1
She must be a Playstation fanboy...(or fangirl ?) :LOL:

Hey she did like one of Cerny's tweet.
It's not just about the stock price of AMD, there's more than that in her personal history. Once upon a time before the AMD era...
https://www.thestreet.com/story/10260097/1/ibms-chip-trail.html
Pimple-faced video gamers and anal-retentive system administrators both owe a debt of gratitude to Lisa Su. A 10-year veteran at IBM (SUNW), Su managed the PowerPC processor business, which makes the chips that run the back-end technology at many corporations, and was influential in developing the new Cell processor at the heart of Sony's (SNE) upcoming PlayStation 3 game console.

As head of the semiconductor research and development center at IBM, Su is in the unique position to drive the semiconductor roadmap both at Big Blue and throughout the industry.

If we squint really hard we can sort of perceive something, I'm sure of it.
One mention of 'S***** S****' sends the fanboys into a frenzy of dream-speccing and technobabbling. I know the local A&E took in 4 gibbering cretins within 48 hours of that article. Poor things had suffered overactive brain function and been up posting all over the internet without stop nonsense rumours and wishlists and furious, hate-filled arguments over which console was going to be better.

Executives don't appreciate the human cost to their PR shenanigans. When will it end?!

Some Navi related news from the internet salt vile.
Somehow I find this hard to believe, how the hell does a 7nm Navi have less efficiency than a 14nm Vega? Is it really down to the incompetency of AMD engineers or hitting a plateau on silicon efficiency?

Some Navi related news from the internet salt vile.
Somehow I find this hard to believe, how the hell does a 7nm Navi have less efficiency than a 14nm Vega? Is it really down to the incompetency of AMD engineers or hitting a plateau on silicon efficiency?

Well it definitely seems to of been delayed unless all leaks have been nonsense. Which speaks to there being problems but I don't believe for one minute that they have gone backwards.

I'm not even sure it's been delayed to be honest other than for the reason that 7nm wasn't ready when they thought it would be. I mean what chips are actually manufactured on 7 nm other than high end mobile chips?

It sure goes against the 1.8GHZ, 56CU Gonzalo leak, I don't know who to believe any more as this whole speculation is getting too muddied up. Navi reveal can't come soon enough.

It sure goes against the 1.8GHZ, 56CU Gonzalo leak, I don't know who to believe any more as this whole speculation is getting too muddied up. Navi reveal can't come soon enough.

Not really. We don’t know when this alleged Gonzalo is supposed to launch. Forums really underestimate how long it takes to develop silicon. The Navi launching this has probably been in final silicon for months now.

Not really. We don’t know when this alleged Gonzalo is supposed to launch. Forums really underestimate how long it takes to develop silicon. The Navi launching this has probably been in final silicon for months now.
So assuming Gonzalo is the PS5 SoC and launches around Nov 2020 and targets ~13 TF as leak suggests, they're gonna have to come up with some sort of magic to solve the thermal issue one way or another then? Personally I don't mind a console 1.5x bigger than a PS4 Pro, if increasing the casing would help much.

So assuming Gonzalo is the PS5 SoC and launches around Nov 2020 and targets ~13 TF as leak suggests, they're gonna have to come up with some sort of magic to solve the thermal issue one way or another then? Personally I don't mind a console 1.5x bigger than a PS4 Pro, if increasing the casing would help much.

I'm not really sure I trust the source that this YouTube guy is using. The words being used like the engineers just want to get Navi out there so they can move on sounds hyperbolic to me and that it's performing worse than Vega.

I'm not really sure I trust the source that this YouTube guy is using. The words being used like the engineers just want to get Navi out there so they can move on sounds hyperbolic to me and that it's performing worse than Vega.
Well, of course it's click bait. That is how he makes money.
While there could obviously be some problems with Navi causing them to miss targets, power draw/frequency problems that are worse than Vega20/RadeonVII would be quite strange. It would seem reasonable to assume this would improve a bit with Navi (or at the very least stay unchanged), not the other way around. What could possibly cause that?

We went through the possibilities for months and I remain convinced a console TDP would be allowing around 10TF, let's say +/- 20%. Baseless rumors changed nothing.

It would be nice to have a statistic of xb1x using that tdp-roulette, to see how much range there can be with the process strength variation (on 14nm at least, maybe it will be worse on 7nm). We saw 175W for the sample given to DF which might be the best case scenario, and 200W was the worst case reported. I don't see this as a usable split between cloud and consoles, since it would have to be split somewhere in the middle of the bell curve. That makes it probably 6%? It seems not worth it.

A 245W psu for a 200W console might not be enough margin for capacitor aging, which will catapult the psu into inefficient territory over time, or based on individual variation between psus (caps value have 20% tolerance). It depends on the design though. So the difference we see (175/200) could be much smaller in reality and just amplified by the psu reaching an inefficient region. Or one guy had an unlucky combination.

But on the racks they can use anything, it doesn't matter if some blades are a bit more power hungry, some overvolted, it just averages. They can clock them higher than consoles regardless.

Maybe not magic but certainly they’ll need to fix the power issues.

There were rumors that PS5 was originally targeting 2019 and then got moved to 2020. Maybe this was the reason. Sony can delay a year, they have the PS4 selling extremely well still.

AMD can’t, they need a GPU out this year that’s somewhat competitive at least in terms of price and performance. Thermals will be something the board partners and customer have to deal with.

Tapeout schedules are things that are set years in advance and delays can skew all future product plans. Delays have to take fab availability into account as well. At some point, you have to go with the design you have and fix the issues in the next rev.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back