Microsoft Rumored to buy yet another Studio or Seven [2018-12, 2019-01, 2019-05]

That ties in exactly with what plenty of us said in the 'importance of exclusives' discussion. You don't need exclusives to be multimillion sellers, but to appeal and attract your audience. That's where PlayStation has been traditionally stronger than XB and Nintendo, having a hugely broad library with something for everyone including bizarro quirk stuff.

You don't get Life of Black Tiger on Switch or XB1!

We all know Brit will bring that up so I may as well beat him to the punch :p
Its a long thread for sure, all the articles about Netflix makes for very interesting read. And yes, I would agree exclusives do matter, if the goal is to optimize satisfaction per minute, then it becomes even more critical because people will unsub if they no longer feel it is worth it. Where the traditional model well, the subscription doesn't exist. So the hope is that people are buying games instead of just purchasing the exclusives, as least from a revenue perspective.

That ties in exactly with what plenty of us said in the 'importance of exclusives' discussion. You don't need exclusives to be multimillion sellers, but to appeal and attract your audience. That's where PlayStation has been traditionally stronger than XB and Nintendo, having a hugely broad library with something for everyone including bizarro quirk stuff.

You don't get Life of Black Tiger on Switch or XB1!

We all know Brit will bring that up so I may as well beat him to the punch :p
Exactly, a highly rated good AA may not sell 10million, but it's still perception of quality even if it's not your thing.

But just all AA and low quality impacts on overall view of what your providing.

That would make sense.

In theory, I'd like it because MechWarrior.

On the other hand, I find MWO's cosmetic DLC to be the worst example of cosmetic gouging while having a stagnant online gameplay.

Give me a lance or star of Mechs vs waves of enemy bots plus ten shit loads of building destruction. Revive MechAssault for consoles plus remakes of 1&2 (too late to have acquired Day 1 Studios).

Guessing there were some discussions about MW5 on console + kb/m support, though that'd maybe be a little awkward for decent gamepad support (not sure what the control scheme is like on PC).

Last edited:
The thinking is likely that multiplayer is highly competitive and well catered for. So even though there's more money in the likes of Fortnite, Sony can stick to markets it does well that are important in differentiating the platform. I wonder also if this remark is a counter to MS's talk of more like GaaS? Maybe that'll be what separates the next-gen consoles more than anything?

The thinking is likely that multiplayer is highly competitive and well catered for. So even though there's more money in the likes of Fortnite, Sony can stick to markets it does well that are important in differentiating the platform. I wonder also if this remark is a counter to MS's talk of more like GaaS? Maybe that'll be what separates the next-gen consoles more than anything?

Like you say, when you think about it you have Destiny, CoD, Battlefield and a plethora of F2P titles...the market is saturated IMO.

Like you say, when you think about it you have Destiny, CoD, Battlefield and a plethora of F2P titles...the market is saturated IMO.
not necessarily saturated, just lacking innovation. Battle Royale was the last major change to shake things up. now everyone has it, or will have it. People are going to wait for the next big thing, but it could be a while.

Single player games are all about story, and as people, we never tire of a new story.

I never tire of plot.

I just want good PvE modes alongside campaign. Don't give a shit about competitive MP. PvE would keep us coming back to a game the publisher just forked out tens of millions just for people to finish in a week and forget about.

Gears 4 Horde was ok, but clearly needs revamping for modern day age of we-don't-have-all-fucking-night-to-dedicate-to-one-session. They had some good ideas with the class-based differentiation, but that needs some tightening up because the lootbox progression was shit. Also, the UI was garbage for being able to coordinate with team members.

Class abilities needed to have more of a team-component because as it is,
ONLY the scout should run around the map and pick up the cash (boring)
ONLY the engineer should buy stuff (difficult to communicate with randoms)
etc.

It's too bad Dead Space 2 got some PvP thing instead of just space-marines vs dismemberable enemas.

I would have gotten into Andromeda's MP, but didn't care for the egregious lootbox garbage. I put 400 hours into ME3 MP.

R6 Siege is a nice change of pace, but it could use some beefed up hostage defense (more building options).

Sea of Thieves is too slow for us to bother with, and just isn't our style (cartoony).

Titanfall 2 - needed more thorough or expanded Mech options/upgrades, more maps, more PvE objectives.

Last edited:
Apparently, the are negotiating the acquisition of 7 more studios.

gwtu5iU_d.jpg

Relic is owned by Sega. That just looks like somebody's wishlist. After the bad experience Platinum had on Scalebound trying to work with MS, I highly doubt they are interested in being owned by them. Kamiya, like, had a nervous breakdown and took a multi-month wellness leave, IIRC. Is Turtle Rock even solvent right now?

Relic is owned by Sega. That just looks like somebody's wishlist. After the bad experience Platinum had on Scalebound trying to work with MS, I highly doubt they are interested in being owned by them. Kamiya, like, had a nervous breakdown and took a multi-month wellness leave, IIRC. Is Turtle Rock even solvent right now?

Relic actually makes sense, the games they are good with (RTS) don't really synergize with Sega very well, but do with Microsoft. DOW 3 was a massive disappointment for RTS fans, likely due to Sega's influence. Meanwhile MS had a good record with RTS games prior to their dissolving of Ensemble due to their focus on console game development prior to Phil becoming the head of MS gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if Sega has been shopping them around to see if anyone will take the studio.

Regards,
SB

Relic actually makes sense, the games they are good with (RTS) don't really synergize with Sega very well, but do with Microsoft. DOW 3 was a massive disappointment for RTS fans, likely due to Sega's influence. Meanwhile MS had a good record with RTS games prior to their dissolving of Ensemble due to their focus on console game development prior to Phil becoming the head of MS gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if Sega has been shopping them around to see if anyone will take the studio.

That's not really true. Sega also owns Creative Assembly and publishes all the Total War games now. They effectively dominate the RTS space right now, for what little that means. Both CA and Relic also have the demonstrated capability to make high quality games in other genres.

Fanboy's personal wishlist.

Some people are so thirsty for news that they are willing to believe anything
At least they are not as bad as the ones so thirsty for news they are willing to invent it themselves.

Ryse 2 for XBtwo launch?

If that's happening, then the Yerli brothers definitely should have taken whatever purchase offer they got in 2013, because IIRC back then Crytek was worth a lot more.

Back