Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, someone had the writer on phone and discussed the article, 45 min long.
Pretty sure it was posted in one of these threads, I'll see if I can find it.
Basically wanted to get out before the leeks start as dev kits going out.
Think writer also said "he believed' it was also to frame discussion before ms E3.

Edit
Here's the interview of the interview
Juicy bits about reasons @ 8:00

Because it's literally described as being in a tall silver tower. Past history indicates this is in line with other alpha kits that we've seen in the past.
They've not yet pressed the silicon for the real development kit yet.

The quote says the devkit was hidden inside a featureless silver tower, not that it WAS a silver tower.

The quote says the devkit was hidden inside a featureless silver tower, not that it WAS a silver tower.
Based on previous history with other manufactures that have a lot in common with PC hardware, they have traditionally built their alpha kits in PC towers before bringing out real kits.

I interpret towers to be towers, ie meant to stand vertically; ie we refer to PC towers as exactly that. I don't know if a writer would use the word tower to present a box. covering something else, I'm not entirely sure it needs to be covered either if it's an official kit; you're not going to learn much information looking at a box.

The hardware in next gen consoles are for the most part PC hardware or components. They use all the same components except the mother board.
All official release devkits are designed horizontally for racks or for stacking. Thus a really wide devkit would need a box to cover it.

You're welcome to interpret it a multitude of ways that is not mine. I'm not saying I'm 100% confident this is the way it has to be, I'll definitely be open to error, but I'm not interested in discussing a small chance that it's not seems like a wasted effort. If I'm way off base, then I'm okay with retracting my comment, but I'll go with what's more probable, in this case I see more reason to conclude it's a PC tower than a final release devkit. You're welcome to disagree but we've neither more information or less to work with except to jibber about language.

edit: we are still a very _far_ way out if we're looking closer to holiday 2020

Last edited:
They only said silver. I'm accounting for the silver look being metallic. It could of course be a plastic case painted silver. Or a large brick tower covered in tinfoil so people inside, with the devkit, can't have their brains scanned by aliens. The only facts we have to go on are: 'big', which is relative and doesn't give us any real idea of size; 'silver' (probably not sterling silver on account of cost) which could be a silvery effect or mirror like finish; and 'tower', which at least gives us a vague idea of proportions with the thing being taller than its width or height (or diameter, as we have no geometric details).

Really, there are so many options, no-one should be jumping to conclusions and all possible explanations of 'silver tower' should be explored. It's quite possible the thing is a cryogenic chamber running at near absolute zero - we just don't know.

I noticed they said it has a bigger physical media capacity. So it has a UHD bluray drive.

I noticed they said it has a bigger physical media capacity. So it has a UHD bluray drive.

You sure that wasn't a comment about the dimensions? Or maybe it has multiple optical drives?

lol lets just move on guys.
back to storage talk

besides:
But that's literally what they said: "The devkit, an early “low-speed” version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry."

While how it's being concealed is in some debate. What's being concealed is not.
I would not confused the devkit, an early low speed version, hidden in a silver tower,
as being the final release devkit that is horizontal built hiding in a vertical tower.

Last edited:
Oh nice catch! It says: "higher-capacity physical media" and never clarifies if it's actually discs, it could be carts to go with the portable ps5.

So that's how they got the faster than PC loading times! It all comes into focus now.

The gameplay possibilities of a Hi-Speed SSD in a closed platform are vast...

Think going through portals into one realm or another, switching between multiple dimensions or times within the same environment (think TF2 Campaign but on a large scale), teleporting across a map, or highly detailed, coherent maps that can be traversed by superheros or flying vehicles without limitation. Perhaps utilising scale too; imagine an Ant-Man game where you can go from being human-sized to building sized and then instantly shrinking down so you're surrounded by blades of grass the size of trees with giant insects, or even going down to the atomic scale.

Worlds within worlds, layers upon layers and time-bending. And this is all before the likelihood that pop-in and stutter could effectively be eradicated; and load times minimised.

I really do think this is going to expand the possibilities so much. A real 'game-changer' no doubt..

Once this becomes an established tech that can be relied upon and developed for, the only real limitations will be the imagination and time of developers.

UHD is higher capacity not "bigger". Eight inch floppy drives are bigger. Perhaps a Sony proprietary 8" disc format. You may scoff but Sony love a proprietary storage format. Calling it now! :yep2:

UHD is higher capacity not "bigger". Eight inch floppy drives are bigger. Perhaps a Sony proprietary 8" disc format. You may scoff but Sony love a proprietary storage format. Calling it now! :yep2:
Naw, I say the sentence could still be deconstructed as "bigger (physical media) capacity". The english grammar allows the ambiguity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back