Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2018 - 2020]

One of the games that was meant to have an almost perfect future. From what I remember as a kid, the reviews were great, praising the animations and the graphics quality. Also, it was one of the typical mascots of the 90s.

The mascot trend is long gone. Nor Sony nor Microsoft have a mascot and some people seem to be against it -say if Sony or MS wanted to bring a mascot to relate the hardware to the games...., there are quite a few people against that.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-bubsy-the-bobcat-retro

he is actually back

A graphics modder has managed to remove the typical Mode 7 pixelated effect of the SNES. Finally!

yheAR5K.png

496ywcL.png

8sDIDeU.png

gWk1cG7.png

KBL0OSa.png

dqpIMGX.png

The new version of the bsnes emulator which uses this mod can be found here:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09097447083714923515

It is going to be my default SNES emulator from now on.

All it needs is some kind of mip-mapping or SS to rid it of the remaining aliasing at extreme distances.

higan already had this for a while i believe. just at 2x though, which is what i prefer. i like mode 7 to look a little chunky

higan already had this for a while i believe. just at 2x though, which is what i prefer. i like mode 7 to look a little chunky

Yeah, I'm not sure about the blocky sprites (also moving in large low-res-pixel-sized increments) over a smooth mode 7 plane. I haven't had the opportunity to watch it in motion yet though. But it sure would be cool to have the option to use this features just to Super Sample the mode 7 internally, but then avarage the color into low res pixels again, just to get less aliasing, but maintaining pixel size consistent across the whole screen.

The Panzer Dragoon GDC I think is also suitable for the Saturn thread. They speak about the limitations, capabilities and how hard it was to develop on it. I really fell sorry for them. They never want to go back developing in a similar environment and Saga was a real pain. Yet they have outdone their selves with superb quality. Zwei aged very well! Few 32 bit games look so good today

yeah the first game looked great for such an early game, but zwei and saga looked even better at a much higher framerate. super impressive work.

certainly it doesnt look bad, it looks "different". But I never liked the pixelation, not even back in the day, when Mode 7 was amazing, and still is. That's the kind of feature I'd like to see on a modern console. I mean, something as original as that, but now consoles are more or less very similar, except if we talk about raw performance.

certainly it doesnt look bad, it looks "different". But I never liked the pixelation, not even back in the day, when Mode 7 was amazing, and still is. That's the kind of feature I'd like to see on a modern console. I mean, something as original as that, but now consoles are more or less very similar, except if we talk about raw performance.

idk man. It looks out of place to me when it's that crisp and clean. It's like playing a PS1 game at 1080p, and the low polygon counts of everything stand out so much.

idk man. It looks out of place to me when it's that crisp and clean. It's like playing a PS1 game at 1080p, and the low polygon counts of everything stand out so much.
I'm inclined to agree with you in the abstract, but watching that video it doesn't look all that bad. Reminds me of the bonus stages in Sonic CD on the original hardware vs the newer release, really.

Things are getting crazy. I've never even attempted to use a Saturn emulator, but things are getting to the point where I might want to.

the improvement is so worth it, the vanilla graphics are as basic as they get. It would be interesting to know how slow it is..., by that I mean knowing the specs of the PC running the emulator.

even the vanilla graphics looks great though lol

it's been a while ever since I watched the DF Retro video of Doom, but I don't remember the Gameboy Advance version being featured.

The game is based on the Jaguar version, which was a requirement allegedly made by Carmack when a custom engine for the GBA was being developed and 95% complete. The company that made the port said that this made the game an inferior port compared to what it could potentially have been.

However, the Doom 2 port was better! And the first ever console port of Doom 2. Also contrary to the PS1 version -which wasn't a standalone Doom 2 port, but bundled with Doom 1- it included my most feared, but favourite, enemy of the game, the Arch Vile, plus tons of enemies on screen.

Last edited:
Back