MS releases Xbox One S All Digital edition (No Optical Drive)

I’m a bit surprised with the All digital price.
That’s only 30 euros bellow the most common price of the standard S, but we regularly find it at 250 bundled with a game.
I was expecting less, specially since we can find the S on promotions for 236 euros.
30 euros less for also a less capable console is not something trully apealling.
But what surprised me more was the announcement of Game Pass ultimate.
Why is microsoft dividing it’s userbase?
It is clear that they are promoting game pass, but this creates another not understandable division on Xbox users.
PC users can play Xbox exclusives online for one month or one year for free.
Game pass users with ultimate can play online for 4.99 per month, either for one month or one year.
Xbox users without game pass or regular Gamepass users have to pay 6.99 for one month, or 60 euros for one year to get a 5 euros Per month average.
So, we have three diferent prices, or investments, with regular users beeing the most sacrificed.
I just don’t get this...
Add to this the discrepancies in the cost to get games, and this is just plain stupid. We have three completly different costs for the exact same thing.

Whether it's DOA or not, is probably somewhat unimpactful, a bit like if they came out with a wacky color sku that doesn't sell well, not a big loss just don't make it again. I'm guessing the motherboard is the same, it's just the case molding and missing ODD in the assembly.They didn't spend much so the goal is probably purposefully testing the market for "no odd for less money" and carefully keeping all else equal. So the test is surgical precision.
Hadn't thought of that. As an experiment, XBOX1SAD has eliminated all but the one variable.

https://majornelson.com/2019/04/16/...ne-family-the-xbox-one-s-all-digital-edition/

All Digital One S will stay $50 cheaper than the 1S at all times with sales etc. So perhaps we could see this dip to the $150 mark when 1S hits $199
The official price of the Xbox One S in Germany is 299, but even MS sells it for 245 bundled with one game. The official price of the All Digital is ~229. German discounters like Saturn offer the Xbox One S&Forza Horizon 4 1 TB bundle or Xbox One S "Starter Bundle" (Xbox One S 500 GB and three months Game Pass&XBL Gold) for 199 EUR. Ok, it's Eastern, but I don't think that the All Digital's price won't go down.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the discless SKU was greenlit before they had finalized negotiations with retailers. Now they are finding with alot of retailers that they need a heft 20-30% margin on the consoles, something that MS isn't willing to eat the cost of to bring that MSRP down since the discless SKU's core demographic isn't exactly hardcore gamer this late in the cycle.

Just listening to a podcast and it seems that there is a lot of confusion/anger around the price.
I wonder if MS had just said it will be $50 cheaper than 1S and never mentioned rrp if that would've gone down better?

I suppose for a reveal that would be ok, rrp etc would just be on the site same way rrp is for 1S.

In podcast saying yea 1S rrp is $300 but no one pays that, why would you pay more for the SADE?
Not thinking that you wouldn't be paying rrp for the SADE either.

They obviously saw the backlash online so made a point of saying it will be $50 cheaper, but it doesn't seem to have helped.
Guess once it's out people's views may change one way or the other?

But possible messaging issues again...

Last edited:
In podcast saying yea 1S rrp is $300 but no one pays that, why would you pay more for the SADE?
Not thinking that you wouldn't be paying rrp for the SADE either..
Yep. Consumers have gotten confused over real pricing. But to be fair, retail has had this coming with their bogus RRPs and fake discounts. Just name a price, set the price, and keep the price, instead of naming a fake higher price and then offering 'large %ages off' to get it down to what you actually intended to sell at with the bonus of convincing your customers they're getting a bargain.

Some of the Amazon discounts like '90% off' are such obvious horseshit, I hope consumers are getting wise to it and start to just ignore any RRP.

The point that they tried to make was that it will always be $50 cheaper than the 1S.

Well, they can say that, but they launched preorders at $250 in a market where it's basically impossible to pay more than that for any of the existing inventory of One S.

Well, they can say that, but they launched preorders at $250 in a market where it's basically impossible to pay more than that for any of the existing inventory of One S.
MS blunder, their running a $50 discount on their 1S's in their store and not included it in the SADE. :LOL:

Which is obviously going against what they've just said. I'm assuming it's been pointed out to them.

Kind of hard to sell the SADE when it's not in stock until May 7. Guess we will see if those sales are still running then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tommy McClain

Pre order is up though isn't it?
Trouble was they couldn't release with RRP of $199 because then they couldn't do the $50 off across the 1S brand.
Xbox is continually on sale, maybe apart from 4 weeks total in the year.

They didn't even get their own marketing/sales lined up.

I'm not convinced the sales of this will reveal much about the demand for such a device given it is only being made available almost six years after the original console's launch. Right now, you're really only measuring the engagement of people who are a) very late to this console generation, b) replacing existing consoles or augmenting their existing setup.

Whatever this sells now, I think it would have sold a lot more had it been an option back in 2013.

I do agree with that, I think it should've been released same time as 1S. Would've given a lot better indication.

Now it's almost just about getting people used to a discless device so getting people on board happens now not when it matters during next gen.

How many X1's are expected to be sold from now on in general, not much.

MS blunder, their running a $50 discount on their 1S's in their store and not included it in the SADE. :LOL:

Which is obviously going against what they've just said. I'm assuming it's been pointed out to them.

It´s not going against anything, the discount it´s for the Spring sales that ends april 22

It´s not going against anything, the discount it´s for the Spring sales that ends april 22
Going against they said they plan for it to be $50 cheaper.
That's why I said they didn't get their marketing lined up. Example: one way being it would've been better if that offer had ended prior to the announcement, then as usual put on sale again few weeks later for them all.

Right now, there the same price, unless you don't count pre order prices?

Either way it doesn't look good right out of the gate

Pre order is up though isn't it?
Trouble was they couldn't release with RRP of $199 because then they couldn't do the $50 off across the 1S brand.
Xbox is continually on sale, maybe apart from 4 weeks total in the year.

They didn't even get their own marketing/sales lined up.

Yes, pre-order is up. But that's just it. You can buy a 1S today on sale only. If you order a SADE you don't get it for over 2 weeks.

Tommy McClain

Doesn't that look even worse.
Pay more, wait longer, less features.

For those wanting instant gratification? Sure.

However, it does come with 3 full digital games pre-installed. So it does have some additional value add not included with the disk versions. Save $50 now & get 1 game you have to manually install or wait over 2 weeks & get 3 games pre-installed? Pluses & minuses for each. Most informed buyers will know what's the better deal when they decide which bundled game they want.

Tommy McClain

Doesn't that look even worse.
Pay more, wait longer, less features.
Should end up lower eventually like any other sku, once they do sales and getting rid of old bundles.

But... impulse buy pricing... cannot impulse buy. *sad woman crying meme*

Should end up lower eventually like any other sku, once they do sales and getting rid of old bundles.

But... impulse buy pricing... cannot impulse buy. *sad woman crying meme*
Oh I agree with this, and I've not changed my view that it will be cheaper.

I'm just saying from my pov that the optics isnt great especially after saying it will be $50 cheaper and the confusion/upset the price announcement caused.

Back