Community Poll: Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

• Total voters
You can use standard BluRays instead of UHD BluRay, and just distribute on multiple disks for bigger games.

And even distributed sources. Include the SP mode and the core files in the disc, if the player wants MP he can download the rest of the game.

But yes, PS5 will have an UHD BR player, even if it's just for marketing purposes.

I did CDs back then and even then I think I melt down a lot quicker now than when I was in my teens! [emoji23]

Floppies were more dramatic. One or two were always a bit ropey and the floppy drive would do that juddery-grinding thing where it was re-reading an error-prone track over and over and you held your breath and hoped it would work.

Modern OS installs are just boring! :LOL:

Metal gear solid iv had rather horrible disc swap and some very bad loading times in specific scenes.

From old times indiana jones and fate of atlantis amiga version had really horrible loading times towards the end.

Well games are going to be bigger having by default 2 blu rays is not going to be a good thing.

In the remote case that they won't have it or won't be able to play 4K Bly rays, wtf sony?
I am still pissed by the lack of the functionality on PS4 Pro, I want to play proper 4K HDR video content on my console.
Microsoft offers that on their cheapest hardware.

Well games are going to be bigger having by default 2 blu rays is not going to be a good thing.
Why? If they are going to be installed anyway, and loading times are going to be minimal thanks to a super fast SSD, what's the downside to two or three install discs? Is swapping a disc mid-install really that much of an issue?

Why? If they are going to be installed anyway, and loading times are going to be minimal thanks to a super fast SSD, what's the downside to two or three install discs? Is swapping a disc mid-install really that much of an issue?
Swapping disc would suck once gamers realize it was to save few bucks on the BOM for that hassle which will last the rest of the generation. It certainly wouldn't be worth making a new format, but UHD bluray capacity is offered on a silver platter (well technically a metallized glass stamper).

Looking at that rumoured super fast 1TB ssd and how essential it seems to be for Cerny's no load time idea disc might only be installation media from gaming pov. Install 2 disks, then play. Would also simplify implementing games if no need to optimize for disc based play.

Looking at that rumoured super fast 1TB ssd and how essential it seems to be for Cerny's no load time idea disc might only be installation media from gaming pov. Install 2 disks, then play. Would also simplify implementing games if no need to optimize for disc based play.
There's no disc based play on ps4. It's full install.

Did the article actually specify a size for the SSD? I only skimmed it while I was in a meeting.

Yeah I'd be surprised if they put in a 1 TB SSD. Try spec'ing a laptop with a 1 TB SSD. Not cheap at all. And he said it would be faster than SSDs typically used on PCs.

This is one of the cheaper nvme drives around with qlc flash. around 1.6GB/s speed. Amazon sells 1TB model for 110$. Supposedly ssd prices are going to go down significantly this year. Sony might also be able to make the ssd solution cheaper by using the main cpu as controller and making the ssd part simpler(no special cache memory, no controller chip).

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-660p-1-0TB-80mm-978350/dp/B07GCL6BR4

That would make it slower. The controller is very important for ssds. The majority of the speed comes from the cache

Swapping disc would suck once gamers realize it was to save few bucks on the BOM for that hassle which will last the rest of the generation. It certainly wouldn't be worth making a new format, but UHD bluray capacity is offered on a silver platter (well technically a metallized glass stamper).
Aren't UHD discs more expensive though on account of far, far lower production quantities?

They need an SKU with a bluray drive or retailers and etailers are going to pushback. And UHD BD drives are relatively cheap when they are purchased at those economies of scale. Retailers and etailers still have leverage because why stock a console for the typical low hardware margins if they can't sell its games. Its either that or sell the console for higher 20-30% margins. Additionally there still is a market for physical games. Lastly having a UHD drive is a tiny bit of a selling feature and are relatively cheap when they are purchased at those economies of scale.

Last edited:
Again, it's not whether PS5 will be without an ODD, a download only console, but whether PS5 will use UHD BRD instead of normal BRDs. There's no way Sony will release a console without optical media next-gen; the market isn't ready for a download only box.

Is there anything that has been stated that would count out the use of a hybrid HDD or an Optane-like cache? Speed claims could simply be large cache burst. It's hard to imagine some kind of high end NVMe being used in a console at large capacities.

Installing a game? Copy the data to the mechanical drive and a 64Gb Optane so when they load it the first time it's seemingly very fast.

That would make it slower. The controller is very important for ssds. The majority of the speed comes from the cache

Implementing controller logic in main cpu and using ram as cache is possible. It might even be desirable as that would allow per game optimized caching and cache size instead of generic logic that might not be optimal in all cases. This might also mean game engine doesn't need to have it's own cache in case controller software is good and configurable.

Aren't UHD discs more expensive though on account of far, far lower production quantities?
I don't see why it would be a dramatic increase, specially considering Sony makes their discs from their DADC facilities. It's just more or less machines in a warehouse. The difference between millions of discs per month and tens of million is just shifting the size of the operation. This is not expensive machinery like a silicon fab costing billions. Any company can just order a few more machines from Singulus and scale with demand.

The operating cost is the glass stampers which need to be replaced every tens of thousand discs, someting like that. And those are not supposed to be any different (the move from 25 to 33 is an encoding trick), it's 3 layer which last time I checked was something like below $1 first layer and $0.25 per additional layer.

100GB three layers should logically cost less than two 50GB.

Back