MS releases Xbox One S All Digital edition (No Optical Drive)

The metaphoric audio tape loop in their primitive brain.

Disc? Would disc have made it a better joke?

I need constructive criticism.
Modern teenage brains are digital, not analogue. Stop showing your age, grandpa. ;)

Their primitive brains downloaded the audio loop. Then chucked it into Fruity Loops and amped the bass, ran a couple of effects, then posted it SoundCloud, linked to it in Instagram, and expected to become rich and famous as a result.

By 'disc', did you mean 'record'? To me, disc means CD. Pre-tape recordings were on 'records' or 'vinyls'. I suppose they were somewhen referred to as discs, hence the name 'disc-jockey', but I've never heard them called that in general parlance. But then, how do you get a looping disc/record? Only with a scratch which is unintended, whereas the tape loop is intended and the recording device is manufactured that way to enable a repeating message.

* constructive criticism requested. :p

So tape was the least bad option, and they know about it's existence from Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's not off topic right? It's about the history of physical media.

Wow exactly how I thought they did this
Is it legal trouble to use the real logo for a parody?

Oh it's real. "we put no effort into this whatsoever, didn't even care about the form factor opportunity".

Last edited:
we'll have to give it some time to see it stay that way. MS will need to figure that out quick before it's DOA.

we'll have to give it some time to see it stay that way. MS will need to figure that out quick before it's DOA.
Whether it's DOA or not, is probably somewhat unimpactful, a bit like if they came out with a wacky color sku that doesn't sell well, not a big loss just don't make it again. I'm guessing the motherboard is the same, it's just the case molding and missing ODD in the assembly.They didn't spend much so the goal is probably purposefully testing the market for "no odd for less money" and carefully keeping all else equal. So the test is surgical precision.

The impactful aspect is how this will shape their decision next gen. There's a bit of condescension in the video about digital only is like any service-based media consumption like netflix or spotify. I would have cared about it if there was a chance to shape the whole industry, but since ps5 is now clearly announced as having a physical drive, it's pretty much just an additional choice to get a discless version, I'm now petty sure MS is trying to decide whether to have two skus next gen at launch, not whether to have no drive at all (as some rumors go).

I'm hoping MS goes for smaller console without optical drive but allows for a very slender addon USB-3.1 Optical Drive for those who want physical media..

Whether it's DOA or not, is probably somewhat unimpactful, a bit like if they came out with a wacky color sku that doesn't sell well, not a big loss just don't make it again. I'm guessing the motherboard is the same, it's just the case molding and missing ODD in the assembly.They didn't spend much so the goal is probably purposefully testing the market for "no odd for less money" and carefully keeping all else equal. So the test is surgical precision.

The impactful aspect is how this will shape their decision next gen. There's a bit of condescension in the video about digital only is like any service-based media consumption like netflix or spotify. I would have cared about it if there was a chance to shape the whole industry, but since ps5 is now clearly announced as having a physical drive, it's pretty much just an additional choice to get a discless version, I'm now petty sure MS is trying to decide whether to have two skus next gen at launch, not whether to have no drive at all (as some rumors go).

Could be $20-$30 to add to another part of the console APU / Ram / HDD in a next gen console. We always disagree but I think optical drives are not needed and this is going to prove it to MS

I'm hoping MS goes for smaller console without optical drive but allows for a very slender addon USB-3.1 Optical Drive for those who want physical media..

Or a little thing on the side/top (depending on console orientation) where you could just slot one in. Kind of like the X360 removable HDD.

Regards,
SB

Is it legal trouble to use the real logo for a parody?

Oh it's real. "we put no effort into this whatsoever, didn't even care about the form factor opportunity".
What do you mean? It shows in vid just how much work and effort it took, they didn't even think it could be done.
Have to admit, it made me smile.

In theory. In reality they are charging the same price as all the One S bundles are selling for right now.
The point that they tried to make was that it will always be $50 cheaper than the 1S.
Will that literally always be the case, maybe not, but those will be retailer specific deals.
MS will sell it to retailers for cheaper, even when MS runs offers.

Can't really ask more than that, unless you was expecting a $100 less rrp compared to 1S? Which to me was never on the cards or viable.
This isn't "let's release this and see if we can fight the generation now" it's let's see how an equivalent discless sku performs in the market.

Back