The Epic Games store for PC and Mac [2018-12]

One interesting dynamic of this whole thing. While Steam was key in getting people to stop pirating, Epic is now key in getting people to pirate again. Yay? Lots of people I know that gave up pirating over the years because of the convenience that Stream provided (some also now have accounts on Origin and GoG), have pirated every single Epic Store exclusive. And the ones that aren't pirating? They aren't happy with the Epic storefront/launcher because it's such a piece of shit.

I'll be pirating Phoenix Point, although is it really pirating if I already paid for it? At the time I kickstarted the game, the developers said that anyone who crowd funded it would get a key on either Steam or GOG. I received an e-mail about a month back saying that the game was now a timed exclusive on the Epic Store and that all keys would only be for the Epic Store. Anyone who isn't happy with this is free to request a refund of their crowd funding pledge. Basically Epic paid them enough money that they don't give a shit if people refund their pledge or not.

However, I do know some people that requested a refund and are now planning on pirating the game. They say they'll buy it once it appears on Steam or GoG, but we'll see if they follow through.

Yay for breaking your Kickstarter promise? What a shitty way to reward the people who helped fund your game. So I'll be pirating the game. But since I'm not requesting a refund of my pledge, I guess it isn't "really" pirating.

Regards,
SB

As annoying as it can be to setup yet another account (and yet another security concern), I find it's a pretty poor justification to skip on paying for the product while enjoying the fruits of their hard work. Like, seriously, #FirstWorldProblems. :s

Exclusivity can suck, certainly. Vote with your wallet surely, but bragging about piracy as a form of rebellion feels so 90s*. At the moment, I'm not so inclined to spend on Epic's store, so it's money they won't see similarly, but discussion of piracy isn't particularly kosher while being somewhat anecdotal and immeasurable with particular accuracy.

/fibre

*I will not specify which century.

Last edited:
As annoying as it can be to setup yet another account (and yet another security concern), I find it's a pretty poor justification to skip on paying for the product while enjoying the fruits of their hard work. Like, seriously, #FirstWorldProblems. :s

Exclusivity can suck, certainly. Vote with your wallet surely, but bragging about piracy as a form of rebellion feels so 90s*. At the moment, I'm not so inclined to spend on Epic's store, so it's money they won't see similarly, but discussion of piracy isn't particularly kosher while being somewhat anecdotal and immeasurable with particular accuracy.

/fibre

I simply don't buy the game. When they appear on steam in the future or origin or gog I will rethink buying them or not depending on whats out at that time

/fibre

Sure, I get that. Phoenix Point will be the only game I, myself, am doing with this as I've already paid for it with the promise that I would get a Steam key. I myself am waiting for Metro: Exodus to appear on either Steam, GoG, or even the Windows Store despite that being my most anticipated game for this year.

What I find interesting is that because of Epic's actions, piracy is once again on the rise as people find their actions repulsive in the extreme. Of course, not everyone who objects to Epic's actions will pirate a game, but regardless of how many do or don't, I just find it interesting that their actions are actually getting people who had given up on pirating years ago, to start pirating again. When there's an alternative I do see people go with that (The Division 2 getting lots of sales on the UBI store, for example, as people would rather not deal with the Epic store).

Regards,
SB

This whole situation almost reminds me of how Steam was perceived for the first few years. Everyone hated it, "why do I have to use another client to play my games?" was the usual issue raised. The years passed and everyone moved on to it, gone were the discussions on what it means for game ownership and monopoly within the PC market, instead it was all replaced by eagerness to buy at the next Steam Sales and "our lord and saviour Gaben" memes.
It is sad to see a similar situation arise and all the wrong questions being asked.

Oh I remember the troyan horse Steam was when I bought HL², that really pissed me off...
Now I have over a hundred games on steam, but I also purchased on other websites (Good old games, HumbleBundle...)

This whole situation almost reminds me of how Steam was perceived for the first few years. Everyone hated it, "why do I have to use another client to play my games?" was the usual issue raised. The years passed and everyone moved on to it, gone were the discussions on what it means for game ownership and monopoly within the PC market, instead it was all replaced by eagerness to buy at the next Steam Sales and "our lord and saviour Gaben" memes.
It is sad to see a similar situation arise and all the wrong questions being asked.

I believe you miss the point. That in 2019, Epic store is an inferior product to Steam (or Origin, etc). That's the main problem right now. If Epic was as good as steam, I don't think exclusivity would be such a big deal. For exemple, have they implanted cloud saving yet ? I believe not. It's a standard thing for years... We joke a lot about Nintendo online services, but this BS is in the same category... I hope in a few months the client will be good and we can all have fun, but damn, they launched a unfinished product... That's the real problem...IMO.

I believe you miss the point. That in 2019, Epic store is an inferior product to Steam (or Origin, etc). That's the main problem right now. If Epic was as good as steam, I don't think exclusivity would be such a big deal. For exemple, have they implanted cloud saving yet ? I believe not. It's a standard thing for years... We joke a lot about Nintendo online services, but this BS is in the same category... I hope in a few months the client will be good and we can all have fun, but damn, they launched a unfinished product... That's the real problem...IMO.
Who cares? All the crap Valve has added to steam over the years is only marginally useful or an attempt to get people hooked in to buying more stuff. As long as I can launch the game I bought it is enough.

The problem isn't another launcher. But that instead of spending money to actually make their platform competitive, they are spending money to force people to use their platform by buying exclusivity.

If the platform only existed as another outlet for purchasing games, no one would have a problem with it.

As far as I can recall, Valve never paid anyone for exclusivity. Hell, even at the start when Steam was bundled with HL2, I still didn't buy anything off of Steam as I was buying everything via physical media back then. It wasn't until Steam got a lot better that I actually started using it for game purchases instead of buying physical versions of the game. The only games that were exclusive to the Steam launcher were games they published themselves. And even then you could buy those games in other stores, even if you had to use the Steam launcher.

I don't have a problem with rival storefronts, even if I don't use some of them. If anything rival storefronts make Steam better as they have to improve their service to stay ahead of the pack. Same goes for GoG. GoG is constantly improving their launcher (even though you don't NEED it for their games) in order to compete with Steam.

The Epic store and launcher is just a piece of crap. They'd rather spend money to remove consumer choice and force people to buy games at their crappy store rather than actually make a good storefront and give people a reason to choose them over their competitors.

But the sad fact is, the Epic store is such a piece of crap that the only way to get people to use it is to force people to use it. And that's why many people are growing to actively hate Epic as a company.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Who cares? All the crap Valve has added to steam over the years is only marginally useful or an attempt to get people hooked in to buying more stuff. As long as I can launch the game I bought it is enough.

Well good for you then. For others, their are some really useful functions. And going by the global reactions, "who cares" , well, some gamers care. For now.

The problem isn't another launcher. But that instead of spending money to actually make their platform competitive, they are spending money to force people to use their platform by buying exclusivity.

If the platform only existed as another outlet for purchasing games, no one would have a problem with it.

As far as I can recall, Valve never paid anyone for exclusivity. Hell, even at the start when Steam was bundled with HL2, I still didn't buy anything off of Steam as I was buying everything via physical media back then. It wasn't until Steam got a lot better that I actually started using it for game purchases instead of buying physical versions of the game. The only games that were exclusive to the Steam launcher were games they published themselves. And even then you could buy those games in other stores, even if you had to use the Steam launcher.

I don't have a problem with rival storefronts, even if I don't use some of them. If anything rival storefronts make Steam better as they have to improve their service to stay ahead of the pack. Same goes for GoG. GoG is constantly improving their launcher (even though you don't NEED it for their games) in order to compete with Steam.

The Epic store and launcher is just a piece of crap. They'd rather spend money to remove consumer choice and force people to buy games at their crappy store rather than actually make a good storefront and give people a reason to choose them over their competitors.

But the sad fact is, the Epic store is such a piece of crap that the only way to get people to use it is to force people to use it. And that's why many people are growing to actively hate Epic as a company.

Regards,
SB

I don't see it that way, which is why I generally avoid Steam unless I have to (that being said I have ~250 games on there, go figure) and instead opt for stores that provide me with installers that don't require me to use a client.
I also don't really get your point, in a free market every store will attempt to make themselves essential. So you argue that Epic Store is a piece of crap and what they're doing with timed exclusivity is unethical and to support your point you say that Steam was ... also shit in the beginning and was required to run the most popular games?
Half-Life 2 was among the biggest releases of 2004 and it required Steam to run.
Counter-Strike was a mod for Half-Life that you could download and apply to your retail version of the game all the way up to version 1.5, but Valve decided to make the latest version, 1.6, a Steam exclusive all the way back in 2003, which pissed a ton of people off at the time.
And what about Counter-Strike Source, another big release at the time?

You might dismiss the above because they were games developed and/or published by Valve, but by 2006, so just a year or two after HL2 came out, many retail games started requiring activation through Steam. I vaguely remember SiN Episodes - Emergence (anybody else remember this one?) from mid 2006 requiring Steam and that pissed me off massively at the time. The situation got worse and worse until just a few years later it was the norm to require Steam activation. And then retail essentially died.

Again, I'm not arguing that Epic Store is not a POS, in fact I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment, although it does apparently provide quite a bit higher profits for developers which is always important. What I'm arguing for is that this discussion is misguided and instead should be targeted at these stores and their clients as a whole. I'm always baffled by people who claim they will not buy, for example, Ubisoft games on Epic Store because you are required to use both clients (uPlay and Epic). I mean, didn't you also do the exact same thing with Steam? Has anyone ever wondered what happens if you've bought a game on Steam and Ubisoft decides to remove it after x years from Uplay for example?

You might dismiss the above because they were games developed and/or published by Valve, but by 2006, so just a year or two after HL2 came out, many retail games started requiring activation through Steam. I vaguely remember SiN Episodes - Emergence (anybody else remember this one?) from mid 2006 requiring Steam and that pissed me off massively at the time. The situation got worse and worse until just a few years later it was the norm to require Steam activation. And then retail essentially died.
The difference here is that until the last few years there was no competition, no alternative at all to Steam and it was a godsend to the average PC user. They were only "exclusive" by virtue of no other platforms available. There's nothing stopping these games being released on EGS, GoG and Steam... even Origin. Money is the driving force, not convenience for publishers and consumers.

I'm always baffled by people who claim they will not buy, for example, Ubisoft games on Epic Store because you are required to use both clients (uPlay and Epic). I mean, didn't you also do the exact same thing with Steam?
These people have Steam and UPlay already so it would be installing yet another launcher for no reason, so why do that when they have UPlay already so just buy it there? Like I did with Division 2. For new gamers to PC I'm sure they don't really care.

Has anyone ever wondered what happens if you've bought a game on Steam and Ubisoft decides to remove it after x years from Uplay for example?
That's no different than buying it on EGS, it still requires UPlay. I'm not sure the point here?

Gotta make use of that 32GB of True-Gamer RAM tho. Everyone else is just a peasant.

"A True-Gamer cares not from whence it came so long as He/She is entertained unless it be immorally obtained." - From the Book of MiniTruGaming

shifty.gif

Do they install as stand-alone or require EGS?
No idea I'm afraid, I managed to get Exodus cheap for PS4 so I went that route. I do like that regardless of what store I buy most games (Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda are only available through Origin), you can add them to Steam and they work just fine in big picture mode and even stream to other devices fine.

I really hope the same is true for EGS, I can't see why technically it would be different to EA or Microsoft's store purchases

No matter how much money you spend you can't implement, for example, cloud saving within a day. Perhaps you think Epic should have thought about this x months ago and staffed up accordingly, but you can't change the past.

It is perfectly valid to not buy stuff from Epics store/Windows gaming platform because they lack certain features. I think cloud saving is really important and I probably would not buy a (modern) game that does not have that.

Back