Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2018 - 2020]

wowwwww ,Quaz51 can do everything, he has something different -he was the guy who discovered that Halo 3 wasn't 720p native-.

Amazing.... The truth is that I can not imagine a NES running the whole game to that level of quality in the video. We can keep imagining, we're hardly going to see it haha. At this time and age...

There are other demos of the demoscene that are incredible too. Notice that there are no collisions, neither AI nor controls, nothing, it's an animation using all the muscle of the Console.

This Megadrive demo is unbelievably good too. It screws the limits of the machine in a very beastly way. What you see is real-time, but of course, it's pure process, no interactivity. This is BLAST PROCESSING haha

Impressive.
I wonder if it's possible to change background tiles to mipmapped versions far away to reduce the shimmer.. (Although I'm sure scenery would have to be a lot simpler looking to make it fit in memory.)

My guess is all he is doing here is timing code to HBlanks to shift the background scrolling position ever so slightly at every scanline. So he could very well make a larger shift at a certain part of the screen to a completely different tile buffer of the level. The only question is if you can hold all the necessary tiles within NES memory. As I understand, that system has a very specific set of registers for that which could fit precisely 2 screens worth of tiles.

new DF Retro video, and this time they talk about the famous Blast Processing. It actually existed! Glad to see a game like Probotector (Super Contra) featured in the video. The Megadrive version had some effects that looked like 3D effects. There is a boss made of little squares, that changes forms like a Lego, and it's a really beautiful effect that one wonders how the Megadrive can achieve that.

new DF Retro video, and this time they talk about the famous Blast Processing. It actually existed! Glad to see a game like Probotector (Super Contra) featured in the video. The Megadrive version had some effects that looked like 3D effects. There is a boss made of little squares, that changes forms like a Lego, and it's a really beautiful effect that one wonders how the Megadrive can achieve that.

Have you seen the "predator effect" in streets of rage 3?

Have you seen the "predator effect" in streets of rage 3?

I had never seen it, when it comes to Streets of Rage, the one that I played the most and completed playing coop is Streets of Rage 2, a great game. It's cool. Some demos or Mega Drive Contra surprises me even more.

More Mega Drive stuff at DF Retro. A very good device --also I discovered a great emulator watching the video, Blastem....judging from the review, it's the best Mega Drive emulator ever made.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-analogue-mega-sg-review

One of the games that was meant to have an almost perfect future. From what I remember as a kid, the reviews were great, praising the animations and the graphics quality. Also, it was one of the typical mascots of the 90s.

The mascot trend is long gone. Nor Sony nor Microsoft have a mascot and some people seem to be against it -say if Sony or MS wanted to bring a mascot to relate the hardware to the games...., there are quite a few people against that.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-bubsy-the-bobcat-retro

I had never seen it, when it comes to Streets of Rage, the one that I played the most and completed playing coop is Streets of Rage 2, a great game. It's cool. Some demos or Mega Drive Contra surprises me even more.

More Mega Drive stuff at DF Retro. A very good device --also I discovered a great emulator watching the video, Blastem....judging from the review, it's the best Mega Drive emulator ever made.

Yeah blastem is pretty impressive. It's super accurate and still really fast. Almost like higan/bsnes for the genesis but it'll run well even on low power laptops apparently.

Overall I still prefer kega for the interface plus CD and 32x support, but it's definitely been surpassed in some areas.

Last edited:
The 3DS is almost worth it for Sega's 3D Versions of Genesis Classics. Great way to play these games (and they aren't any more expensive than Nintendo's own Virtual Console offerings which offer nothing new at all the greedy fucks) . I just wished there were more of them.

The only negative is that its missing save states. Am I correct?

Just got one of these new genesis pads. :cool:

a4423f3f-5f52-4653-bdcd-2b3f54dd5692_1.c3511650955256ae8d11329441111f08.jpeg

definitely original quality level.

comes in genesis compatible version or usb (with shoulder buttons) in both blue and black.
they also have saturn controllers in black or grey with colored buttons and usb or saturn compatible.

Last edited:
Just got one of these new genesis pads. :cool:

a4423f3f-5f52-4653-bdcd-2b3f54dd5692_1.c3511650955256ae8d11329441111f08.jpeg

definitely original quality level.

comes in genesis compatible version and usb (with shoulder buttons) in both blue and black.
they also have saturn controllers in black or grey with colored buttons and usb or saturn compatible.
simply gorgeous..... How much does it cost?

My best childhood friend, who had a Megadrive and played it countless hours at his house, would love to have one of those, I think. He has been here this past weekend and we got Wii, WiiU, Nintendo 64, GC, SNES emulators running, plus we played some of my games on Steam -sports games, like tennis, or Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed-, and he has a Switch IRL, which he is going to take with him at my house to show me the console. He is returning during the Holy Week -next week-.

Now I can see him more because he had been living overseas the past 15 years, but now he lives 5 hours away from here. One of those controllers could be a perfect gift for a friend....

20 bucks shipped from newegg (no stock on amazon atm)
the original port version is 15 iirc
the saturn ones are 25 and 20 respectively.

ok so i just noticed that they don't work with the switch. pretty lame tbh

Last edited:
well, go for retro-bit if you want 100% authentic. i've heard good things about the m30 though. the dpad won't feel exactly the same i bet.

retroflag, no idea. i'd recommend sticking with the others.

Back