Future of Xbox Live Gold with MS putting games on other platforms *spin*

Jay

Veteran
As someone who understood but didn't care about XLG and the fact that it's free on pc and not on console, I think that the fact that it's basically on another console for free a bit much.
So:
PC free
Ios & android free
Switch free

Xbox charged

You still have to pay for Nintendo subscription to play online I think?
Probably, but you still get the benefits of XL without having to pay for it.
Your right in regards to switch that does confuse the situation a bit though.

As someone who really didn't care, it does feel like Xbox console owners are getting even more the sort end of the stick.
Xbox owners, seems to be funding and subsidising other platforms when everything is taken into account.

Paying to support just multiplayer doesn't really hold up. When I say multiplayer, that doesn't even include things like matchmaking, voice chat etc

Last edited:
ModCopyEditQuote for context
Why are we talking about Gold in here when Cuphead doesn't even have online multiplayer?

Tommy McClain
Thought it had online co-op, but your right it's only local.

Either way probably not right place for this, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
3 free games a month is probably a good enough reason for xbl. I also haven't actually had to pay for xbl for the last two years thanks to bing rewards. So free games with a sub for which I don't actually have to pay.

I'm not seeing a problem.

Agree with @AlphaWolf though its 4 games. ;) Plus you get other benefits like parties, exclusive trials & discounts on top of normal game sales. I could see them merging Game Pass & Gold into 1 mega subscription for the next gen.

As to why they charge Xbox owners for multiplayer & not others? 1) they can 2) it's their largest user base 3) they have no control over other platforms.

BTW, @Jay I don't buy that you don't care. ;)

Tommy McClain

As someone who understood but didn't care about XLG and the fact that it's free on pc and not on console, I think that the fact that it's basically on another console for free a bit much.

XBL is "free" with MS Rewards anyways.

Even if you consider it a pay service, it could be viewed as $3.33 a month to get 4 free games (Games with Gold).

Edit: What everyone else said already.

Back