GDC 2019: Game Technology and Presentation Thread

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/20/...c-pc-store-detroit-beyond-heavy-rain-gdc-2019
Today, Quantic announced plans to bring its three latest games — Detroit, Beyond, and Heavy Rain — to Epic’s digital shop as timed exclusives for a year after launch. The move comes not long after Chinese internet giant NetEase invested in Quantic Dream with the goal of reaching a larger global audience. Both announcements represent a dramatic shift for the studio.

At its Unreal keynote at GDC today, Epic also announced a handful of other prominent developers that are launching on PC exclusively through its store, with incoming titles including The Outer Worlds, Control, and Afterparty.

----------------------------------------

Rebirth and Heretic look amazing. Such a shame consoles will not get anywhere close 2080Ti peformance, but artists will make do with whatever it is given to them.

Little IMO. "Rebirth" impressed me more than "Troll". Wonder if quixel raytraced anything in this demo, if not then it confirms RTRT isn't necessarily some be all end all, still many other important things to solve in real time.

Not strictly gdc but there also this short UE demo from Embark guys from few weeks ago, didn't see it posted here. Supossedly targeted as production material for game.

https://vimeo.com/318171409

Little IMO. "Rebirth" impressed me more than "Troll". Wonder if quixel raytraced anything in this demo, if not then it confirms RTRT isn't necessarily some be all end all, still many other important things to solve in real time.

Not strictly gdc but there also this short UE demo from Embark guys from few weeks ago, didn't see it posted here. Supossedly targeted as production material for game.

https://vimeo.com/318171409
Rebirth is 100% rasterized on UE4.21 (RT is only present as a preview in UE4.22 & up). But (and that's a big but) no one knows for sure if it's "rendered-in engine" or totally real time (like Troll & Heretic). You can't really trust "real-time cinematic" description unless you see the whole thing demoed in real-time in the editor (like done with Troll, Heretic, or last's years StarWars, Porsche, Book of the Dead etc).

That's some glorious hyperbole.. Especially after Unity's Heretic demo...(or even Epic/Quixel's UE4.21 short..)
Yea, it's pure hyperbolic. I wasn't trying to antagonize a group of people with this commentary. Just trying to make sure it's noted that each demo and engine/feature is trying to showcase something different and it's important to see the demos for what they're trying to achieve and not what they aren't.

ie Rebirth aiming for photorealism. Troll aiming to leverage real time ray tracing etc etc

Rebirth is 100% rasterized on UE4.21 (RT is only present as a preview in UE4.22 & up). But (and that's a big but) no one knows for sure if it's "rendered-in engine" or totally real time (like Troll & Heretic). You can't really trust "real-time cinematic" description unless you see the whole thing demoed in real-time in the editor (like done with Troll, Heretic, or last's years StarWars, Porsche, Book of the Dead etc).

Fair enough, forgot about usual important asterix.

Rebirth and Heretic look amazing. Such a shame consoles will not get anywhere close 2080Ti peformance, but artists will make do with whatever it is given to them.

Should be no different than last time around if something like 12 TF(or eaqual modern flops )and 24GB happens, especially with temporal techniques and variable shading. Today you could cartainly make impressive montage with cutscenes from arkham knight, spider man, the order, detroit, devil may cry, last od us that would challange elemental, star wars 1313 , watchdogs or infiltrator and consoles hadn't have any hope to reach 580.1,5GB/680.2GB or... few of them ;).

If anything , such results may come to frution earlier. Pc side (and therefore big cross platform engines ) should not be that stubbornly entrenched in old apis, poor tools and there will not be this gulf in architecture philosopy beetween nvidia and amd ( amd compute vs tessalation on nvidia) all compromising decision making. Console side, cpus should help even with graphics fidelity. Guy from RAD tools have mentioned how jaguar core is 3-4x slower at asset decompresion than even ivy bridge. Lack of tectonic shift in architecture which would otherwise force dev to throw everything away will also help. Publishers early on should be more bullish without palpatable "wait and see" because consoles dying tommorrow but maybe forbes contributors are working on that.

Biggest challnage to reach those highs will be production cost, roi, schedules and publishers priorities. There was a few talented rendering guys leaving industry for that matter. Interesting perspective from activion technical director

http://c0de517e.blogspot.com/2019/03/rendering-doesnt-matter-anymore.html

Let me just repurpose this comment from another thread
Ha, well it does look pretty slick I'll give you that. In the end I think both have pros and cons in their respective visual output and sacrifices made. Variety is the spice of life right:D? Still think Rasterization gives you more overall tho and I'm definitely more impressed with Heretics.

Nothing really impressed me this time like previous demos before a generation change.

They look very good but nothing to leave me astonished.

Back