DirectX Ray-Tracing [DXR]

DXR isn't coming to Untiy until Fall 2019 (and only in preview not final release).
We are delivering production-focused real-time Ray Tracing with a full Preview coming in HDRP in Fall 2019, including early Preview of a full-frame path tracer.

Same for Unreal Engine btw. As DXR is still an early access feature in 4.2x & it usually takes between 6 to 12 months before it graduates to production ready.

And from what I've been told AMD is also working on DXR drivers for Vega GPUs.

Last edited:
So I was at the Battlefield V raytracing presentation at GTC 2019 earlier today, got a few quick pictures but was mostly struck by 2 things:

1) coherency gathering via compute shaders (binning the rays per-raytracing and « defragging » post-raytracing... as far as I could tell the HW doesn’t really do much if any gathering itself).

2) Raytracing black box is only a tiny part of the workload, most of the raytracing-related time is the post-processing (and preprocessing!) via compute shaders.

Ironically PowerVR raytracing HW did a lot more HW acceleration (coherency, BVH, etc...) than it seems NVIDIA is doing. It’ll be interesting to see whether NVIDIA struck the right balance or if we’re going to have more (or less!) accélération of the raytracing pipeline in the future.

DXR isn't coming to Untiy until Fall 2019 (and only in preview not final release).

Same for Unreal Engine btw. As DXR is still an early access feature in 4.2x & it usually takes between 6 to 12 months before it graduates to production ready.

And from what I've been told AMD is also working on DXR drivers for Vega GPUs.
There's also going to be a Unity experimental build released on April 4th.

There's also going to be a Unity experimental build released on April 4th.
Yup that's at the link I posted. Experimental on April 4th, Preview Fall 2019, final release probably Q1/Q2 2020. They don't seem too far from UE4 (which just reached early access/experimental now in 4.2x literally 1 year after their PR mumbo jumbo announcement) . As a matter of fact based on what they just showed during their keynote their implementation seems to be better than Epic's.

Also interesting observation: They have never mentioned it being DXR or even VulkanRT based. Just that it was running on an NV RTX GPU (it was running on a Razer Blade 15 on stage). As a matter of fact they always said "our Real Time ray Tracing technologie". Unity loves cross-platform/API/HW stuff as seen with their new in-house ML inference engine or the fact that even thought PhysX is the default physics engine in Unity right now, they just announced that they've built their own today in collaboration with Havok.

Last edited:
Back