Halo Master Chief Collection [H:MCC] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

This feels like buying the same game three times.
I already own Reach. I already own MCC.
Owners of Reach should at least get a discount for this "premium digital add-on".
Also, where the #@&% is mouse/keyboard support for these games? MS made such a big stink about adding the feature to Xbox. Now they've got PC versions of the games which will undoubtedly have m/kb built-in. So why not add m/kb support for the single player campaigns on Xbox?

Last edited:
This feels like buying the same game three times.
I already own Reach. I already own MCC.
Owners of Reach should at least get a discount for this "premium digital add-on".
Reach was never part of MCC. You knew that when you bought it.
People pay for remasters all the time, which this will be.

As long as it's appropriately priced I'm not sure your complaints are warrented.

Is reach BC? If not then that would be answer to your complaint I suppose.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/the-yappening-two-yaps-this-time

Curious. MCC networking tic was still left at 30Hz until now (new update) :?:

A technical breakdown of what a 60 hz tick rate means for MCC.

We’ve upgraded the rate at which network packets are sent by the server in Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4, and Halo 2A. We have also increased limits on how much data each individual packet can contain. This includes data about the position of bipeds, where they’re aiming, what projectiles they’re firing, etc. The server prioritizes what data is contained in a packet until it reaches a maximum size. In gaps where the client hasn’t received a certain type of information from the server (due to latency or prioritization), the client predicts what this information should be based on the last data received. It then corrects its predictions upon receiving new data. This can result in cases of “rubber-banding” where a biped’s position is predicted locally and then corrected by the server. By increasing the allowed size of packets as well as their frequency, we have significantly reduced these gaps. This results in less prediction and correction due to more frequent and more complete updates from the server. In Halo 3, the clients would send 15 packets per second to the server, while the server would send 30 packets per second to all clients. Now both servers and clients will be networking at 60 packets per second, aligning with the framerate.

Packets transfers between clients and servers are dependent on the network quality and topology. As such, there will still be cases where rubber-banding and other network artifacts occur in cases of high ping or packet loss. However, the increased send rates should generally result in an overall smoother online experience. This improvement affects dedicated servers as well as peer servers in per-to-peer matches.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-may-2019

heh
To kick things off, since our April Development Blog people want to know more about features such as Uncapped Framerate. Can you dive into how work is going on it?

Andrew: Definitely. Things are going well. There are a lot of challenges, but we’re making good progress. We know it’s a highly requested feature, so there’s been a lot of focus on it.

When you say challenges, what sort of things have you run into that are making this difficult? I mean, isn’t it just copy paste or save file as?

Sean: I totally forgot about that trick. Let me save as > Uncapped.fps and we will be good to go.

Andrew: Hahaha. It would be nice if it were that simple.

Actually, there was already an “infinite framerate” flag in the code. Unfortunately, there are a lot of rendering artifacts when it’s enabled; its purpose was to render frames as quickly as possible for performance profiling rather than being a shippable feature. But it has been a good starting point!

One of the big challenges with these titles is that many systems were designed to update on tick intervals, not time intervals, and those tick intervals were implied to be 1/30th of a second. When those ticks get shorter, things end up playing too fast. We generally addressed these issues while moving from 30 fps to 60 fps, but there were a number of cases where the most expedient fix at that time was to make the systems treat the update interval as 1/60th of a second, rather than make them able to accommodate arbitrary length update intervals. To support uncapped framerates, we’re now needing to make more extensive changes to handle arbitrary update intervals in more cases.

A related issue is in sampling and interpolation for VFX and animations. Many effects sample from input functions to drive their behavior. Depending on what that function is, sampling more frequently can result in different patterns. For example, if you sample a sine wave every half period, it’s not actually going to look like a wave – you’ll always get zero. But if you sample twice as frequently, then you’ll get oscillation between 1 and -1. So, we’ve had to change some input functions to make the behavior look consistent regardless of how frequently they’re sampled. Similarly, for animations, you can get weird interpenetration and other artifacts when rendering interpolated frames that don’t exist at lower framerates.

Their issues with FOV adjustments are curious, although I had to wonder if Bungie just worked within the limits for 2 player-splitscreen. Gonna need @HTupolev's FOV info. :p

Is it really too much to ask for some crazy ultra wide ala CE's 2p-splitscreen. I don't know if it could just mean tweaking the size of the view-weapons or shifting their screen-space position to get around the clipping problem. I forget.

xD
What is the Unreal Engine being used for?

The short answer TL;DR version is, “Various UI elements across the entire collection.”

Long form, currently a lot of the UI elements in the game were built using a different solution for the game’s UI. However, that original solution is no longer going to be supported with updates which will make it challenging for us to continue building and making changes in the future. Our ability to visualize and execute on future work would be more limited with older technology, with Unreal Engine we are not facing those same restrictions.

Since bringing it in, we have conducted a major update behind the scenes to allow for it to bridge both the new systems as well as the places where old implementation is strill needed. There are some interesting flows that remind me of the movie Inception such as a UI inside of a UI inside of a UI inside of a UI. My head hurts just thinking about it.

An additional perk of this new tool is that we can do much more complex UI visualizations in real time to support both armor customization options and our progression system for MCC.

What has been the hardest part of making Unreal Engine work on both PC and Xbox?

MCC on Console is a very fun challenge to overcome, especially when memory already plays such a key piece of the puzzle. When adding more content, engines, and features – you must account for its memory footprint. Adding two new engines to the existing game along with all the other additional pieces is an exercise in streamlining. It requires us to go through and essentially trim the fat in areas where possible and utilize tools, such as the unreal engine, to fit our changes within the constraints of our project and supported hardware.

It is something we have spent a lot of time investigating and are actively working on to ensure the title runs smoothly. One of our key pillars amongst our team is Community. To us, that means everything we do needs to not only meet the standards of ourselves, but it must include the standards of those who play our games. It is not the easiest thing we’ve done, to say the least, and will be something we tune and adjust as we move towards the release of Halo: Reach into MCC. But, we are excited about the prospects of this new UI system and the types of new experiences it will enable us to deliver down the road.

Last edited:
This is super out of left field and nothing to do with mcc specifically...but has anyone played the og xbox version of halo 1 on 360? Asking because i dislike anniversary and want to play the original on 360 but i dont know how the emulation is

Once upon a time I had played H:CE on X360 but that was early on like the first year or two of owning the console and before I could tell any differences in the games. You can play HCE:A and toggle the graphics to be the same as the original? Or was that only on H:MCC? Or do you dislike the audio and other subtle differences that HCE:A has?

I think they claim to have pretty much eliminated those sort of differences with their ongoing changes to H:MCC. But I wouldn't be able to tell, not being the finely tuned Halo warrior.

Sound changes, lots of graphical bugs carried over from the old pc port, halo reach online multiplayer instead of the original multiplayer ect. The older graphics option is nice but ultimately feels like an afterthought. I dont think they will be patching the 360 ver anytime soon either lol, but thats all i got. As long as i can confirm playing the og on 360 doesnt have any bad emulation bugs in it, ill rebuy it and get rid of my anniversary edition which i hate looking at

Halo 1 anniversary i thought was a very mediocre effort. Which is ironic since i think halo 2 anniversary is one of the greatest remastering efforts of all time..really elevated halo 2 in general for me. I only played it once over a friends house years ago(as i never have owned an xb1) but i still distinctly remember how impressed i was at the conversion after clearing the campaign in co op. The highlight of MCC for me. The other games are just kinda there

Emulation was mostly okay AFAICR - the biggest problem was a bug related to ghosting of scene geometry, but I don't remember it happening too often. The nice thing was that the game got 4xMSAA.

Not even Halo 5? Even MS hates it. LOL
They're trickling out one at a time over what feels like an age. But this is good! :yes:

I've almost completely forgotten Halo 4 entirely, so it'll be a good replay.

Not even Halo 5? Even MS hates it. LOL
They're trickling out one at a time over what feels like an age. But this is good! :yes:

You were almost completely fortunate. No, it won't. It's the worst one yet.

Back