Help please, I need a style...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Never thought I'd say this, but I might have to adopt something besides t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers/birks for actual grown-up type clothe fit to make an impression. Problem is the last time I was in to formal wear suits/tuxes/business attire was when I was playing in orchestras and quartets in high school and for a while after...and that wasn't really knowing anything about fashion it was more like picking the right monkey suit to put on to perform in.

What would be a style/outfit type that would suit me? I'm so used to living in a ball cap that I can't even conceive of trying to do something with my hair! Let alone pants/shirts, I has no clue. Everything i own is at least 20 years out of date with nasty wide flaring colors or else looks like something a general contractor would wear to a job site to see how his crew is doing. (Son of an electrical contractor, it never leaves you)

Are jumpsuits an option, or something easy? I am absolutely clueless but i feel it's gonna be an issue for me soon so I thought I'd turn to here for help. I know a lot of you may think you don't know jack about fashion, but you know how to comfortably dress in a working/professional environment a HELL of a lot better than me I assure you!

And damn it, are vests back yet or hoodies? I need pockets, LOTS of pockets...or did the murse every come in to fashion or are satchels the way to go.

Damn it, LONDON BOY I NEEDS YOU!!!!!!!

I'm not asking for the impossible, I don't have to look good i just have to look dressed well. Only tough options I'm having are with my head, do I shave it or go super close crop or just wear formal bandanas/ball caps? :p

I know it's stupid, but I've never been good with it and I am over 30 years out of date. Any input is greatly appreciated. :)

Flannel and corduroy. Jumpsuit = speedsuit = Rusty Venture. :)

For shoes, loafers, or anything comfortable and solid, but classy. For jackets two of my favorites are my "Longmire" style one from Australia, and the one that a lady who reviewed it at Amazon described as "nearly identical to the one Matt Damon wore when playing Jason Bourne" (Perry Ellis Portfolio - Microfiber).

The important question is: what is your taste in AESTHETICS in general. Fashion should be secondary.
Do you have an artist, or artistic school you are into? What time of decor do you like? What music you listen to? Do you have a favorite writer? Cinema director?

Those type of questions are good for you to better determine your personality and preferences. It will help guide your stylistic choices.

Hmmm. I think a good first step would be to clean out/up my closet and see what I have to work with then build from there. :)

Digi my love!

Ok a couple of questions:

- is this for work? a special event? Or do you just want to burn your wardrobe completely and start from scratch?
- what do you actually like a man to look like? (DAVROS SHUT UP!)

If you want to look nice without having to think too much, then you really can't go wrong with going to bulk buy a few different colours of the same type of trouser, add some nice neutral shirts that don't look like they're coming out of a 70's show.

This means neutral colours, white, light blue even a light pink shirt can look good on a man. NO patterns please, except low key vertical stripes and non-abusive check patterns if you really, really must. And under any circumstances NO SHORT SLEEVES SHIRTS.

Also. Pockets. Why? How many exactly? And Why?

Once you have the trousers and shirts situation under control, I'd start thinking of jackets and shoes.

Remember, neutral always wins but this whole topic is also weather-dependant so you might be excused if it's -20C outside.

Last edited:
Digi my love!

Ok a couple of questions:

- is this for work? a special event? Or do you just want to burn your wardrobe completely and start from scratch?
- what do you actually like a man to look like? (DAVROS SHUT UP!)

If you want to look nice without having to think too much, then you really can't go wrong with going to bulk buy a few different colours of the same type of trouser, add some nice neutral shirts that don't look like they're coming out of a 70's show.

This means neutral colours, white, light blue even a light pink shirt can look good on a man. NO patterns please, except low key vertical stripes and non-abusive check patterns if you really, really must. And under any circumstances NO SHORT SLEEVES SHIRTS.

Also. Pockets. Why? How many exactly? And Why?

Once you have the trousers and shirts situation under control, I'd start thinking of jackets and shoes.

Remember, neutral always wins but this whole topic is also weather-dependant so you might be excused if it's -20C outside.
Thanks! Been waiting for you to show up. I already wear a long sleeve very light pastel pink shirt that I love, makes me less intimidating.

I'll answer your questions in a bit, got life to deal with right now...but thanks in advance! :love:

Never thought I'd say this, but I might have to adopt something besides t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers/birks for actual grown-up type clothe fit to make an impression. Problem is the last time I was in to formal wear suits/tuxes/business attire was when I was playing in orchestras and quartets in high school and for a while after...and that wasn't really knowing anything about fashion it was more like picking the right monkey suit to put on to perform in.

What would be a style/outfit type that would suit me? I'm so used to living in a ball cap that I can't even conceive of trying to do something with my hair! Let alone pants/shirts, I has no clue. Everything i own is at least 20 years out of date with nasty wide flaring colors or else looks like something a general contractor would wear to a job site to see how his crew is doing. (Son of an electrical contractor, it never leaves you)

Are jumpsuits an option, or something easy? I am absolutely clueless but i feel it's gonna be an issue for me soon so I thought I'd turn to here for help. I know a lot of you may think you don't know jack about fashion, but you know how to comfortably dress in a working/professional environment a HELL of a lot better than me I assure you!

And damn it, are vests back yet or hoodies? I need pockets, LOTS of pockets...or did the murse every come in to fashion or are satchels the way to go.

Damn it, LONDON BOY I NEEDS YOU!!!!!!!

I'm not asking for the impossible, I don't have to look good i just have to look dressed well. Only tough options I'm having are with my head, do I shave it or go super close crop or just wear formal bandanas/ball caps? :p

I know it's stupid, but I've never been good with it and I am over 30 years out of date. Any input is greatly appreciated. :)
First of all get detached from your 20 year old attire. Get rid of clothes that you think you need but you are not actually using. Donate it. Make your wardrobe as light as possible. You will feel relaxed and like an empty canvas to draw on.
Go to different stores and check the visual merchandising, check movies, magazines, postures, people. Check what is attractive and what people are wearing that you consider nice. They give nice clues for style. Dont buy initially. Just walk around. Read the visual information. You dont need to buy expensive. Sometimes even cheap can make you look smart.
And dont be afraid to do something with your hair. A few accessories on the hand and neck can also add style more than you imagine

Which Doctor Who do you want to look like?
Face wise probably David Tenant, dress-wise of course Tom Baker!

Oh, thats cruel
(/Dr.Smith from "Lost in Space Voice" on)"Oh the pain, the pain!"(/Dr.Smith from "Lost in Space Voice" off)

It seems you have no actual preference of your own, which actually makes the answer to your question extremely simple and obvious: pick whatever your wife prefers.
I'm tired of my decision being no decision, I feel like taking back some small control over my life.

Not worrying about it too much right now tbh, too busy stomping out fires and trying to keep my head above water to bother with things like "what I'm wearing". Do appreciate all the input as I'm digesting it and figuring it all out, still gotta clear up my closet to get closer to any resolution. :p

Digi asking us to decide for you instead of your wife isn't making a decision :) And she is the one actually around you. I agree with Alexko.

Why cant you wear short sleeve shirts anyway? I just wear polos mostly b/c they are "worky" enough that no one gets annoyed and a person can never be expected to wear a tie if they are wearing a polo. I would love to just wear t-shirts and cargo pants though like I did in high school. Hoodies are definitely comfortable whether they are stylish depends I guess. Style is just made up anyway though.

Just don't get anything so radical that it elicits this kind of a response. :)

Korben-the-fifth-element-462516_640_372.jpg

Back