Apex Legends (TitanFall Hero Battle Royal) [XO, XBSX|S, PS4, PS5, PC]

I'm a little surprised by how well it is doing, although I shouldn't be. It is the creative heads that created the original fantastic COD multiplayer after all.

It's currently at half a million Twitch viewers. O.O And it's not even a special event.

Many streamers that are trying it are also raving about how it feels and plays which is a good sign for the game.

They note similar things as Scott_Arm mentioned. More accessible than PUBG, with more satisfying gunplay that requires far more skill than Fortnite.

It seems to take the best parts of both games and merge them into a very satisfying experience. The better gunplay from PUBG and the accessibility and random weapon and item rarity of Fortnite.

One concern I've heard from a few streamers though is whether or not the "special abilities" detract from the overall game. They seem kind of gimmicky and some are very exploitable. IE - some abilities are significantly better than others.

Now the question is, will they be able to sustain player interest?

Regards,
SB

Now that you guys brought cryengine up, I realize Apex, along with fortnite to some extent, are actual games that did realize what Cevat wanted too with his AAA F2P evangelism. The guy's idea was not THAT unworkable afterall...

One concern I've heard from a few streamers though is whether or not the "special abilities" detract from the overall game. They seem kind of gimmicky and some are very exploitable. IE - some abilities are significantly better than others.

Regards,
SB

Which would you say is better than another and why?
I have not watched any streamers on this but have played a fair few rounds.

I'm a little surprised by how well it is doing, although I shouldn't be. It is the creative heads that created the original fantastic COD multiplayer after all.

It's currently at half a million Twitch viewers. O.O And it's not even a special event.

Many streamers that are trying it are also raving about how it feels and plays which is a good sign for the game.

They note similar things as Scott_Arm mentioned. More accessible than PUBG, with more satisfying gunplay that requires far more skill than Fortnite.

It seems to take the best parts of both games and merge them into a very satisfying experience. The better gunplay from PUBG and the accessibility and random weapon and item rarity of Fortnite.

Regards,
SB
There was a tournament yesterday. The tournament was 4 hours long so it might not have been on at the time you were looking, but viewers may have stuck around. Usually Apex is ~300k viewers, which is still very good. It's often times more than double of Fortnite.

I'm not surprised at all that this is popular. I think that it will no doubt take over Fortnite among core gamers. But I still think it's a little too hardcore for casual gamers, an area where Fortnite will remain the most popular BR. Not to mention Fortnite is available on every single gaming platform. So I think both will coexist and be the top 2 BRs around.

Respawn knows how to make shooters. Titanfall 2 / Apex are the best feeling shooters I've played. Gunplay alone can go a long way in making a game fun to play. Plus Apex is just well made and well thought out. If they support it, I see it sticking around for a while.

Which would you say is better than another and why?
I have not watched any streamers on this but have played a fair few rounds.

It's all going to be according to taste. I'm not sure PUBG survives much longer after this...but my opinions in no particular order and without going into any depth.
  • Fortnite
    • Highly accessible, even to casuals.
    • Colorful loot'splosions.
    • Skill ceiling revolves more around how quickly and how well you can build structures in combat.
    • Relative fast paced.
  • PUBG
    • Very steep learning curve.
    • Requires an understanding of bullet physics and what the various stats on weapons and weapon mods do.
    • Skill ceiling is very high and is a combination of gun skill (understand each gun + mods effects on bullet physics), tactical awareness, and tactical planning.
    • Relatively slow paced.
    • Vehicles and vehicle physics can be a riot at times. :p
  • Apex
    • Accessible.
    • Weapons mods like PUBG but simplified and color coded for rarity and power.
    • Weapons are color coded for rarity like Fortnite.
    • There are some bullet physics (bullet drop) but it's far less detailed and involved than PUBG.
    • Extremely fast paced, highly conducive to run and gun gameplay.
    • Skill ceiling is determined by how good of a twitch shooter you are.
    • Special abilities are very unbalanced, IMO. Some are situationally useful (portal and zipline for example), some are only useful to newbies (item drop calldown, for example), and a few are just massively better than all the others (carpet bomb artillery strike, for example)
Just my opinions, of course. I'm sure other people have different views on the 3 games. :)

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Game was super stuttery on my Ryzen 2600/Radeon RX480 PC today for some reason. Had been better previously. Got my first PC win anyway, even after our third rando dropped.

I'm stuck at the loading screen now. Tried restarting app and PS4 many times.

I just left it for awhile and it worked. Servers must be getting hammered.

Last edited:
Pubg player counts dropped for a few days when apex released, but they're pretty much recovered to where they were.

I would expect blackout would be the game that would lose players to apex.
So that's kind of interesting in the context of the size of the BR market. Seems risky to continue chasing after a genre that's well spoken for unless there's something particularly ground breaking combined with the added overhead costs of setting up the servers.

hm.

So that's kind of interesting in the context of the size of the BR market.

The BR market is huge. Some people think the market is saturated, but I don't think it is. There are lots of niches to fill. Pubg is slower, more methodical and fits the niche of military sim type people, even though it's not really a military sim. COD blackout and Apex overlap a lot, because they have the same fast style of arcade fps play. Fortnite is well ... weird. The building thing just makes it something totally unique. Then you have smaller BR games like Realm Royale, that are playing with action rpg, and that hasn't really been nailed yet. There's one coming out as part of an mmo called, Spellsomething. I still think there's room for an even more hardcore sim type BR. It obviously would never be huge like fortnite, but there's room. You could do a game like For Honor as a BR, probably. That could be pretty nuts. Melee warfare battle royale? I'd be into trying it. It's a game mode that really succeeds because it combines the high-stakes you get from an elimination game mode like you'd have in Counter-Strike with larger player count formats.

It's very fun, kinda gives me a tribes feel with the movement and stuff, very refreshing even if I stink at it.

Father accuses this game of transforming his son into a transexual.

https://www.hd-tecnologia.com/padre...ends-esta-volviendo-transexual-a-su-hijo/amp/

Padre-asegura-que-Apex-Legends-está-volviendo-transexual-a-su-hijo-2.jpg

After playing so much Apex, it's actually making me itching to play PUBG again, even though I uninstalled it and never intended to play it ever again :V

While yes, I sucked at PUGB (I'm decent at Apex though), my big reason for quitting PUBG was the sheer amount of time I wasted playing it instead of branching out. I almost feel like I've graduated back up to a "big boys" game since PUBG has it's roots in milsims.

Back