Anthem

Anthem VIP Demo Benchmarked on all GeForce RTX & Vega Cards
January 26, 2019
We benchmarked Anthem at Ultra settings in 1920x1080 (Full HD), 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 (4K). The drivers used were NVIDIA 417.71 WHQL and yesterday's AMD Radeon Adrenalin 19.1.2, which includes performance improvements for Anthem.

rKLA6e18tFpDWfvE.jpg

jYwtoVZKkqiY6Smy.jpg
https://www.techpowerup.com/251874/anthem-vip-demo-benchmarked-on-all-geforce-rtx-vega-cards

To Anthem (possibly some improvements in the full version):
-the scenario is more fantasy than science fiction and I don't like the city. The Division 1/2 is much more interesting and adult. Anthems scenario is not to my taste
-at ultra settings the graphics is among the best but indirectly illuminated areas look flat and not as interesting. We need better GI in games
-the performance is mediocre and extremely fluctuating
-sound and music are good but don't impress me
-options are expandable but according to the developer there will be much more on the PC in February
-the menu in this Demo build is terrible
-gameplay is spectacular but with little equipment etc. it repeats faster
-flying is very good
-the game has loading screens all the time. This is a joke and destroys the immersion and the game flow

I don't see a chance against The Division 2 for me (played both). I'll continue playing the demo.

Last edited:
Ended up using nV CP to enable half-rate refresh since the framerate is incredibly unwieldy in the demo. Hopefully they can optimize the input lag in general though. It's rather poop.

I tested it on pc and ps4pro, it's pretty boring after 30 minutes imo, and the graphics don't explain (to me) the performances... Smells like another EA shitty games, hyped by the press based on a "fake" trailer. And the microtransactions aren't on yet. Oh well...

Was getting 30fps at 4k ultra on my system. (ryzen 1700x , 32gig ram , vega 56(bios mod) , wd black nvme)

So this is just another one of these online grindfest shooters? Yawn.
Yes! You can shoot and loot and shoot and loot and shoot and ... forever! It’s great! You will be unending revenue for EA.

Actually it’s not too bad really, but the model unavoidably weakens any storytelling and purpose. Every publisher would love to have the next WoW, and since the fantasy settings can’t seem to manage it, maybe guns will help? Destiny 2 had very meager content, perhaps this will keep our interest for longer?

Got a lot of "leaving the mission area" kind of message, while I was right there... Happened more with verticals area... Meh, I tried, I tried, felt like mass effect andromeda battles to be honest. Uninstalled.

Was getting 30fps at 4k ultra on my system. (ryzen 1700x , 32gig ram , vega 56(bios mod) , wd black nvme)

That's quite good considering.

30fps go relatively easy in Anthem. 60+fps with higher than 1080p is the problem. In addition, the performance drops extremely with particle effects. I don't understand that. By well done GPU effects they should be relatively lighweight. Some games have tens of thousands of GPU particles in a scene and the performance hardly falls.

Yes! You can shoot and loot and shoot and loot and shoot and ... forever! It’s great! You will be unending revenue for EA.

Actually it’s not too bad really, but the model unavoidably weakens any storytelling and purpose. Every publisher would love to have the next WoW, and since the fantasy settings can’t seem to manage it, maybe guns will help? Destiny 2 had very meager content, perhaps this will keep our interest for longer?

I played The Division longer than 50 average long single player experiences and I paid less for that than for one singleplayer game. It looks like the single player titles are the ones that want more money. They're more like fast food. Played a few days or a week and already passed again while I have been playing The Division (which btw. got several large extensions over the years) since 2016 regularly. With a playing time of 900 hours you are more in the middle of the field as far as the base of the players is concerned.

Last edited:
So this is just another one of these online grindfest shooters? Yawn.

Meh, I tried, I tried, felt like mass effect andromeda battles to be honest. Uninstalled.
That's kinda what the press material has been leading towards, so I'm not sure if you just missed out on all the info?
I mean, I'm not sure how you could misconstrue the gameplay that's been shown so far.

It's more or less taking the core gameplay of Mass Effect 3/Andromeda multiplayer and extending it into a cooperative campaign from what I can tell, so in that regard, if you never cared for those, then this is probably not a game for you, unfortunately.

FWIW, I put 400 hours into ME3 MP alone, which itself was just a grindfest for random card packs, but the core loop of fun was the co-operative mix of combat options, something that resonates with me.

As a solo experience, the demo leaves a lot to be desired for sure. The general jankiness speaks volumes for how much polish this game needs, and I'm left wondering if EA should have taken another risk to push this one out again or at the very least have a very extended Early Access. :runaway: (or just wait for the Enchantment Edition ala CDPR's modus operandum :confused::mad::mrgreen::love:)

That said, I never touched Andromeda MP because the random card pack stuff was taken to some nefarious level of inanity (and well, I didn't know anyone who even had the game by the time I got around to the game itself). Whether it's worse/better in Anthem's final game remains to be seen, but there's probably enough folks to voice outrage to see some balance changes on their flagship title here.

Last edited:
I think the point with the mtx costs is that they were seemingly targeting those prices at some point recently. Would they have gone with those prices at release if it wasn't leaked and covered so much beforehand? Who knows.

The other question remains whether they're going to release the game without mtx as other big games are doing now until the review and initial sales periods are over.

Last edited:
Summary - it really is a loot grinder. Ergo not for me unless the underlying game mechanics or story frame work is really good. To date, Warframe may be the game in the genre that suits me best beyond initial discovery, but even that faded quickly.

(Opinion: Squad based game+loot grinder is for youth (or people/subcultures) who don’t have any obligations or sense of time being limited. I’m simply too old for that, never mind other obligations/joys in life.)

(Opinion: Squad based game+loot grinder is for youth (or people/subcultures) who don’t have any obligations or sense of time being limited. I’m simply too old for that, never mind other obligations/joys in life.)

I personally dont know one single 40+ year old person with a family who playes mostly singleplayer games. All play games like Battlefield, PUBG, The Division, Star Citizen etc. with their (reallife) friends and family members. If you only play these games instead of x many single player games per year you also have time for it.

Last edited:
Back