Implications for Remaster/Remakes in the face of Backward Compatibility

HBRU

Regular
maybe will have a ps4-pro-turbo mode... I'd love to see for instance The Witcher 3 running at 60 fps... such things will convince many to upgrade console... Not needed to be compatible with all the ps4 library... The Xbox One compatibility with so many titles of 360 also destroyed the will power to invest in true well paid remastered in many cases... I prefer quality over quantity....

The Xbox One compatibility with so many titles of 360 also destroyed the will power to invest in true well payd remastered in many cases...

You mean they actually have to put effort into it instead of what amounts to a bare-bones PC-like port? :rolleyes:

I think folks are very happy how the REmakes are turning out instead of the shit show string of RE4 remasters for over a decade.

do you mean people who buy or people who sells ? I think without chance of profiting nobody works so well... human nature... don't think Sony will follow Ms on that full compatibility on all the generations... Nor Nintendo will do that.

do you mean people who buy or people who sells ? I think without chance of profiting nobody works so well... human nature... don't think Sony will follow Ms on that full compatibility on all the generations... Nor Nintendo will do that.

I think PS5 will be backward compatible with full PS4 library, probably not with PS3 a difficult task. And I don't know for others console.

'Remasters' in general are a joke on the Sony. Its not a remaster with just a res increase if even that. The fact that you have to pay for them games you allready own doesnt make things better.
PS4 is by far the worst platform to play your old games on. (Or any game aside from some exclusives or against a one s version)

Last edited:
worst platform? You mean technically? Or economically? Well ps4 was not BC with ps3. So both. Ok. So it's worst in this sense as Xbox One. But how happens it sold so much more? And more strange. The pro (who is BC with ps4) sold less.... I guess this BC is a feature not so important....

Brand name, most kids want a play station cause its known, parents dont care. PS2 had weakest hw but that didnt have any effect on sales.
Therefor no worry on what hw ps5 will get, it will get its momentum.

Technically PS4 games are behind yes but the platform is over 6 years old.

I think FC is more important.... There is the new ps5 that plays new games and not all but many old games 4k(cb)@60 fps... Wow. Great. But your old ps4, maybe 7 years old, still plays new titles... Maybe 900p@30 fps. You don't have yet a 4k tv... So you keep your old ps4 and buy the new Fifa and pay 70 euro / dollars...

'Remasters' in general are a joke on the Sony. Its not a remaster with just a res increase if even that. The fact that you have to pay for them games you allready own doesnt make things better.
PS4 is by far the worst platform to play your old games on. (Or any game aside from some exclusives or against a one s version)

well you are confusing remasters and remakes i guess, and since i did not own a PS3 i was happy to play some remasters like uncharted trilogy or TLOU.
Nintendo also does that with the swith and Wii U "remasters". And it's the worst plateform for multiplat games.

'Remasters' in general are a joke on the Sony.
Remasters can breathe new life into game. See Spyro. No amount of improved resolution using decades old assets can compare with a newly made retelling of the old game. And the sales of these games suggests people are wanting them; both people revisiting them, and more importantly new players who never experienced the original but for whom the old version of the game isn't attractive relative to new standards. There are countless PS4 owners who weren't old enough to ever play SotC for example, who now get to enjoy that experience updated for current hardware.

I'm currently playing Champions of Norrath coop with friends each week on an emulator on PC. We'd like emulation on PS4, for sure, but a remake or updated version of the game would be even better.

Please leave your childish fanboy drivel out of this forum. Especially so in what's supposed to be a technical thread.

Brand name, most kids want a play station cause its known, parents dont care. PS2 had weakest hw but that didnt have any effect on sales.
Therefor no worry on what hw ps5 will get, it will get its momentum.

Technically PS4 games are behind yes but the platform is over 6 years old.
I dont understand your arguments. The PS2 had the biggest line of exclusives and the most popular franchises from 1st and 3rd parties and it was a very affordable console. PS2's library was massive in quantity and quality. XBOX and GC couldn't simply compete.
That was a recipe for success and it was the expectation that the 3rd party exclusives would have continued to the PS3 that people were eager for PS3.

I have no idea why you believe the PS4 is the worst by far. How? Where do you put the S then? Why isnt that significant?
X and Pro are "premium" options available in limited quantities at a higher price. The base PS4 is an affordable console that plays games adequately and better than its competing base platforms.
The PS4 does not feel like the worst place to pay your multi platform ad old remastered games.

Last edited:
I think PS5 will be backward compatible with full PS4 library, probably not with PS3 a difficult task. And I don't know for others console.

Yeah me too. I reckon Sony will [again] adopt a hardware-led 'brute force' compatibility approach where PS4 games "just work" on PS5 with little effort on Sony's or developer's part. But the long term is clearly Microsoft's approach where old games look better with minimal effort but alas does does some effort.

Don't ask me to chose! :runaway:

Please leave your childish fanboy drivel out of this forum. Especially so in what's supposed to be a technical thread.

I really dont see anything childish fanboy drivel in that sentence i wrote, its an (my) opinion on the BC and software on the platform in general. Just like you have your opinions on the PC market. I agree that it wasnt technical before it got moved though.

I have nothing to say about other platforms BC as i think its just better there. Again thats an opinion, challange it but dont call it childish or fanboy/bias. For the record i do own Sony consoles, i just think many things could be better.

interesting from a tech point of view... But why do they have emulate ps3 into the ps5 firmware ? to make someone happy? Much better IMHO to do 4K remastering... and sell them. How sw houses accomplish this depends of course from the code the owner of the title has. Emulating the Ps3 GPU (Nvidia) by Sony-AMD I think can also create legal problems... Also the Cell is not fully Sony property...

I really dont see anything childish fanboy drivel in that sentence i wrote.
You've said the PS4 is by far the worst platform to play any game on. Yes, it's a personal opinion, but it's a pointless, immature one that's just fanboy nonsense; the sorts of silly schoolyard name-calling that doesn't belong here. There are plenty of cases where a PS4 isn't the worst platform. Same for the other consoles too - even the weaker XB1S - and PC. By all means feel free to think PS4 is a poor choice for gamers and stay away from buying one, but don't go posting on this board anywhere that console X is rubbish for gaming. If you have a specific point where a console is weaker versus other platforms, instead of a generic 'it's rubbish' remark, that is relevant to the discussion (such as PS4 offers by far the worst BC support), feel free to post it with supporting arguments.

Best and worst are comparative measurements, so you have to qualify what you're talking about. The worst console graphically could well be the best economically.

Id like to to think sony would substitute entirely new skus for update patches to ps4 skus. I expect ff7r, tlou2, got and cyberpunk to be patched by their devs to upgrade res and fps.

Back